Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Garrys Vasa build Options
Garylazereyes
#1 Posted : 18 November 2020 09:17:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi everyone!

I have received two packs of this ship and thought I would start a build log. This is my first time building a ship like this and I understand that this ship might not be the best thing to start with but since Im Swedish and live close to the museeum and have visited it so many times I could not resist the challange to try
to build it.

The first two packs went together pretty ok. I have yet to start painting the figures.

Garylazereyes attached the following image(s):
Vasapack2.jpg
Building DeAGOSTINI Vasa
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 18 November 2020 09:28:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is a great start.Love Love Love Also sounds like you got a good source for reference.

Mark
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 18 November 2020 10:42:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks like you are off to a good start. That`s a very tidy bit of building.

Well done. Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#4 Posted : 18 November 2020 21:26:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Wonderful, another Vasa build to follow and I will certainly be following you all the way... Looks like you're off to a really good start, long may it continue to go well for you.... Good luck with the build, am sure you'll love it....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garylazereyes
#5 Posted : 22 November 2020 17:16:46

Hi and thanks for everyone checking in and the nice words Love!

Ive been painting some figures while waiting for pack 3 and thought id share some progress. It was even fiddlier (is that a word?) than I could imagine but coming along pretty ok imho.

Need to buy a even smaller size brush than 000 and work on getting the paint thinned down properly so it comes of the brush nicer.

smallfigures.jpg
Building DeAGOSTINI Vasa
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 22 November 2020 20:09:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gary, BigGrin

More very tidy work, those parts do look fiddley.Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for running a build diary. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#7 Posted : 22 November 2020 22:25:24

Very neat painting on such small parts.

Hope it all continues well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#8 Posted : 23 November 2020 00:45:19

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice painting skills on show. You'll be dreaming decorations by the time you've finished doing them all with this build, and some of them are tiny.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing more....

Regards

Alan
Garylazereyes
#9 Posted : 23 November 2020 18:21:14

Thanks alot for the comments and checking in!

@ Gandale Great to have you onboard my thread because your build is a big inspiration for me and im sure I will have tons of questions down the line!

I´m afraid ive already started dreaming about painting the tiny figures Cursing

Building DeAGOSTINI Vasa
Martyn Ingram
#10 Posted : 23 November 2020 19:26:15

BigGrin Lovely work Cool . There are lots of painting to be done. I nearly went cross eyed doing mine Blink
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#11 Posted : 24 November 2020 00:35:05

Garylazereyes wrote:
Thanks alot for the comments and checking in!

@ Gandale Great to have you onboard my thread because your build is a big inspiration for me and im sure I will have tons of questions down the line!

I´m afraid ive already started dreaming about painting the tiny figures Cursing

Thanks for those kind words Gary, appreciated. My build was done as per the instructions with a few corrections and changes along the way. Hopefully my build will answer most of the queries you'll come across. If not, I'll always try and help where needed.... Main thing is, enjoy the build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#12 Posted : 24 November 2020 09:27:51

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice painting skills. They look stunning.Drool Drool Drool
Only a million more to do.LOL LOL

Mark
Garylazereyes
#13 Posted : 14 December 2020 10:25:52

So got pack 3 and been getting some work done, the decks two deck pieces went on without too much hassle.

Now im preparing to start fairing the hull and then planking, first time for me but the instructions are very clear on this so hopefully there wont be too many issues.

Will post alot more pictures on the planking so I dont make any too big blunders :)

Building DeAGOSTINI Vasa
Martyn Ingram
#14 Posted : 14 December 2020 12:47:22

BigGrin Take your time with fairing the hull bulkheads and be careful with the top of the frames as these are very fragile and easily broken I know as I broke one of them off Blushing . Looking forward to seeing your next post.
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Garylazereyes
#15 Posted : 16 December 2020 08:06:22

Thanks for the tip Martyn, I used some styrofoam sheets and did not break anything BigGrin

Fairing the bulkheads took quite some time but now the first plank is on the ship and it feels like a milestone on the build.

Pre drilling and map pins feels like a good way to go about it, will post more when I get to the more complicated stuff Cool

Planking.jpg
Building DeAGOSTINI Vasa
Gandale
#16 Posted : 17 December 2020 00:49:18

Making good progress Gary, looking good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
seabass
#17 Posted : 18 December 2020 16:58:39

Looking good Garry!

Another Swede here (living in California), finally planning on starting this build! I have the 12 boxes since last year and a table ready. Now I just need to get tools and paints. A little overwhelming to get started, but I’m very excited :D

Where did you get the stand? I’ve seen it in other posts too. Looks useful!

Edit// is this it? Looks like it’s out of stock.

https://www.hobbies.co.u...ing-slip-for-model-ships
Garylazereyes
#18 Posted : 20 December 2020 13:54:23

[quote=seabass]Looking good Garry!

Another Swede here (living in California), finally planning on starting this build! I have the 12 boxes since last year and a table ready. Now I just need to get tools and paints. A little overwhelming to get started, but I’m very excited :D

Where did you get the stand? I’ve seen it in other posts too. Looks useful!

Edit// is this it? Looks like it’s out of stock.

https://www.hobbies.co.u...ng-slip-for-model-ships[/quote]

Hi seabass, kul med en Svensk till som bygger :)

I bought the stand from the link you had, but perhaps email hobbyzone and ask them to help out, im sure they have more retailers selling this product.

For me being a firs time builder it was a good tool but if you have some experience I guess you could build one.

good luck with your build and make sure to create your own thread!

I have made some progess on the planking and it´s good thing that you plank two layers on this build because its not the prettiest planking thats for sure :) But im making progress and getting better along the way so for round two I hope the planks will come on nicer :)

What do you guys use whan chamfering planks? Do you use a knife to cut away the worst or just sand?
planka2.jpg
planka1.jpg
Building DeAGOSTINI Vasa
Martyn Ingram
#19 Posted : 20 December 2020 15:41:45

BigGrin looking good. I use sandpaper to chamfer the planks as it's far more controlled BigGrin
Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Gandale
#20 Posted : 22 December 2020 13:19:23

Looks like good steady progress Garry, coming along very nicely....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan