Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
MV Port Adelaide Options
John Passmore
#1 Posted : 25 November 2020 04:47:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone

I have decided to start another project - a scratch build of MV Port Adelaide...BigGrin

Here is some information....Cool

Can anyone advise me why I can only get 2 or 3 minutes typing time before everything disappears?...Confused

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore attached the following image(s):
Port_Adelaide3. 1951.jpg
Port_Adelaide-1951.jpg
MV Port Adelaide. Plan.JPG
MV Port Adelaide. Hull Plan.JPG
MV Port Adelaide. Hull Frame Plans.JPG
John Passmore
#2 Posted : 25 November 2020 05:17:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Everyone again

The drawing is scaled 1:160 so things are going to be pretty small....Cool
Most fittings such as windlass, cargo winches, davits, cranes, derricks and samson posts will have to be made...Cool

I have started building, using 3mm MDF for the Keel and Hull Frames. I will also use 2mm "bendy" ply and 1mm balsa for plating...Cool

More pics to follow.

Regards
JohnP
budgie
#3 Posted : 26 November 2020 08:27:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi John
Cool Will be following with interest,really looking forward to seeing her come together

Apparently she was 473 feet long so i imagine your hull will be just under a meter long which is a good size to work on

A lot of the fittings at that scale can be small and fiddly so I will be watching and learning
Cheers Stew
CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 26 November 2020 08:47:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Definitely sounds like your going to have your hands full with this one!
But certainly an interesting project ThumpUp

Regards Gray
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 26 November 2020 20:40:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

John

That looks a very interesting project you are starting.

Really looking forward to your updates and seeing how it all progresses as this type of build is new to me.

Hope it all goes well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
John Passmore
#6 Posted : 01 December 2020 03:25:34

budgie wrote:
BigGrin Hi John
Cool Will be following with interest,really looking forward to seeing her come together

Apparently she was 473 feet long so i imagine your hull will be just under a meter long which is a good size to work on

A lot of the fittings at that scale can be small and fiddly so I will be watching and learning
Cheers Stew

Hi Stew

Thanks for looking in....yes, the model will be 93.5cm lth o/all x 12cm beam +/-....Cool

There's a lot of nutting out to do...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#7 Posted : 01 December 2020 03:30:50

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
BigGrin Definitely sounds like your going to have your hands full with this one!
But certainly an interesting project ThumpUp

Regards Gray

Hi Gray

Thanks for your insight - yeah, I've done a lot of thinking and wondering (how I'm gonna do it)...Blink But I've made a start on the keel. Pics following shortly.

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#8 Posted : 01 December 2020 03:35:50

birdaj2 wrote:
John

That looks a very interesting project you are starting.

Really looking forward to your updates and seeing how it all progresses as this type of build is new to me.

Hope it all goes well.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, and yes the build is very new to me as well...Blink But I love ships of this period with all the cranes, derricks and winches everywhere - and with a bit of superstructure thrown in as well...Laugh

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#9 Posted : 01 December 2020 03:40:15

Hi Everone

I have the keel marked and cut out, using 3mm MDF which is quite easy to work with - so long as you're careful...Cool
I'm trying the old slotted method as used on SotS and hope it works out...Blink

Regards
JohnP
1. Keel.Bows.JPG
2. Keel. Midships.JPG
3. Keel. Stern.JPG
4. Keel setup.JPG
5. Keel setup.JPG
6. Keel setup.JPG
budgie
#10 Posted : 01 December 2020 19:09:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi John
looks like you are off to a good start

Will be interested in how you make the frames from the body plan

Confused I get confused depending on who's diary you read...Confused the body plan gives the maximum width of the hull so some say you have to reduce the frames to compensate for the thickness of the material used to "plank" the hull

Some don't bother therefore I dither a lotLOL

Lookin' forward to your next update
birdaj2
#11 Posted : 01 December 2020 23:47:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

John

Good to see you making a start.

I am also interested to see how those plans get turned into frames.

Wish you well with it.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
John Passmore
#12 Posted : 03 December 2020 04:50:15

budgie wrote:
BigGrin Hi John
looks like you are off to a good start

Will be interested in how you make the frames from the body plan

Confused I get confused depending on who's diary you read...Confused the body plan gives the maximum width of the hull so some say you have to reduce the frames to compensate for the thickness of the material used to "plank" the hull

Some don't bother therefore I dither a lotLOL

Lookin' forward to your next update

Hi Stew

It doesn't really matter how it's done as the difference will be only +2mm max each side...Cool I am forming precisely to the drawing and will be using 2mm bamboo for the planking.( lots left over from the Sovereign)...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#13 Posted : 03 December 2020 04:57:01

birdaj2 wrote:
John

Good to see you making a start.

I am also interested to see how those plans get turned into frames.

Wish you well with it.

Tony

Hi Tony

I made paper templates ( 2 for each profile ) then after taping together to form the total rib frame, I transposed to the MDF before cutting the rough shape with a coping saw...BigGrin Then I fine shaped initially with metal files - round and half round coarse cut and sanding....This proved very tiring so I splashed out on a Dremel...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP
9. Templates.JPG
10. Dremel work stn.JPG
Gandale
#14 Posted : 04 December 2020 00:14:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You've certainly taken on a challenge with this one John and I'm sure you'll do a superb job with her. Looks as if you're off to a great start and I will definitely be following with a great deal of interest.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with the build....

Regards

Alan
John Passmore
#15 Posted : 05 December 2020 07:32:16

Gandale wrote:
You've certainly taken on a challenge with this one John and I'm sure you'll do a superb job with her. Looks as if you're off to a great start and I will definitely be following with a great deal of interest.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with the build....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes, you're right it all certainly needs a lot of forethought, I have cut all the rib frames but forgot to include in my previous post...Blushing BigGrin
Thanks for the nice words of encouragement, much appreciated...Cool

Regards
JohnP
John Passmore
#16 Posted : 05 December 2020 07:37:30

Hi Everyone

I forgot the pics of the frames in my last post...Blushing

The first 6 (bow frames) are going to need a lot of tickly fine tuning as they don't quite match the deck plans - some are too wide and some too narrow but all cut precisely to the frame plans...Blink

Regards
JohnP
7. Hull Frames cut.JPG
8. Hull Frames cut.JPG
budgie
#17 Posted : 05 December 2020 20:49:08

Hi John
Drool looks nice and cleanDrool

Noticed you have strips going across the frames is that for supporting the deck

Also noticed you have cut out middle of frames are you thinking of r/c or is it just to keep the weight down and assist with planking
Gandale
#18 Posted : 06 December 2020 22:33:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Am seeing some really nice methodical work being done John, she's coming along very nicely.... Have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this build....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
John Passmore
#19 Posted : 07 December 2020 03:12:14

budgie wrote:
Hi John
Drool looks nice and cleanDrool

Noticed you have strips going across the frames is that for supporting the deck

Also noticed you have cut out middle of frames are you thinking of r/c or is it just to keep the weight down and assist with planking

Hi Stew

The strips serve 2 purposes, strengthening and forming of the deck plates which are concave from the centreline to scupper each side to allow water draining...Cool Pics below...

What's r/c? The cutouts were made by cutting smaller frames from the inside the bigger ones...BigGrin

Rrgards
JohnP
John Passmore
#20 Posted : 07 December 2020 03:19:43

Gandale wrote:
Am see some really nice methodical work being done John, she's coming along very nicely.... Have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this build....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the very nice comments.
Yes, there is a lot of trial and error going on...BigGrin I only have the one simple A0 size line drawing and the 2 photos to work from - plus a lot of detail stored in my memories of my seafareing days...BigGrin

Regards
JohnP