Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Steering column issues Options
davidyat
#1 Posted : 04 December 2020 20:00:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Don't know if anyone else had this issue with the steering column. First, the pinion doesn't seat all the way on the steering column. Trying to fit the dashboard with this discrepancy doesn't allow the pinion to properly engage with the rack. I took a break from this as I was getting frustrated. Since the steering column is metal, I'll grind it down to seat properly tomorrow and see if that works. Also, since the steering column is metal, I can't get the FP01 screw to seat all the way for the steering wheel and the wheel is a bit loose. Tried to hold the column with a small pair of pliers and got to the point where I was afraid I would break the screw off and be in a world of hurt. Anyone else have these issues?
David
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 04 December 2020 23:22:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Haven't reached this stage yet but I will look out for this possible problem.
semaj
#3 Posted : 05 December 2020 00:22:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mine all fitted just fine
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
mortyjeff
#4 Posted : 05 December 2020 01:08:47

On my Steering column, I used an emery board to remove the paint and smooth the casting on the 'D' shaped end, then took a small exacto knife and removed the paint from inside the pinion. it is a tight fit, I 'tapped' the pinion onto the shaft. the screw went in without any issue.
BigGrin
Andreas
#5 Posted : 05 December 2020 07:37:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

There is a simple solution to both problems. Models are usually not cut a thread in the screw mounts. The reason for this is that different screws are used. One fine thread and other screws with self-tapping threads. With fine threads, I always cut threads in the screw mounts. This prevents the screw from tearing off without pretreatment. I always place a drop of Loctite thread locker in place before tightening the screws. When it comes to steering, metal works on metal.
Without proper lubrication, it will always bump up until the paint or coating is removed. There is a simple solution here, use model construction grease. There is Teflon grease for model making, which is also used in diffs and gears. Works flawlessly. Later on, the steering is heavily weighted, and preventive measures are helpful to prevent problems there.

Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
davidyat
#6 Posted : 05 December 2020 14:49:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for all the replies. I am also a model machinist. I make model steam engines that run on compressed air. I do have taps and dies that go down to 0-80 if I need them. I'll try that in the future if I run into problems.
David
" alt=""/>" alt=""/>
Eagle
#7 Posted : 22 December 2020 13:35:12

Red Medal: Red Medal

I simply removed the paint from the shaft gear and rack teeth with a wire brush attachment in a Dremel; it works smoothly without any lubrication at all.
JOHN-GT40
#8 Posted : 12 February 2021 21:24:00

Groups:

clear and scrape off all black paint at steering column rack gear and give steering rack teeth a generous helping of silverhook clear silicone grease