Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Magnifier 1/12 Ford Gt40 Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 08 December 2020 22:21:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all well this arrived today Admittedly I had to wait a while (I ordered it on 27 oct with my birthday money) Let me tell you it was well worth the wait and for 68 quid incredible value for money.

I knew there were some errors on it from watching other builds of it.

The quality of the kit has surprised me, it is incredible,

For instance look at the quality of the chrome

Unfortunately its wrong (not even sure if you can chrome an engine block) no matter 5 mind in bleach and that problem is cured

And im not sure why they went to the trouble of pre painting the top of the engine gold as that's wrong too.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 08 December 2020 22:40:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Is that box art the same as the Trumpy kit?
It will be interesting to see how this one goes.BigGrin
kpnuts
#3 Posted : 08 December 2020 22:44:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I think it is the trumpeter kit reboxed and maybe updated it has PE in it too
kpnuts
#4 Posted : 13 December 2020 21:36:11

Hi all, in the reviews I've read of this kit it has said to ditch the kit supplied braided hoses as the fray and fall apart when cut, don't, just spray them with your missus hairspray (don't tell her though)

It seems a great kit but there is no ford moulds or insignia anywhere on the kit, I assume that's a copyright issue to do with it originally being a trumpeter kit, just a small point but I thought I would mention it.

If you wanted you could always get decals for that.
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 13 December 2020 22:29:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looking good, but I'm curious to know if this is just a re-boxing of the Trumpy kit.
A teller will be to see if it has the distributor and plug leads...BigGrin
kpnuts
#6 Posted : 13 December 2020 23:02:53

It doesn't Roy
roymattblack
#7 Posted : 14 December 2020 12:48:55

kpnuts wrote:
It doesn't Roy

I'd guess it's the Trumpy one re-boxed then.
A great kit though. I've built one and there's another in the pipeline.
birdaj2
#8 Posted : 15 December 2020 00:59:09

That looks a very nice start you are making Ken

What a great price as well on a large model like this.

Just looking on scalemates and it is shown as the trumpeter reboxed.

https://www.scalemates.c...ord-gt40-mk-ii--1297779

Hope it all goes well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
kpnuts
#9 Posted : 15 December 2020 21:36:50

There is no distributor supplied in the GT40 kit, glass beads to the rescue
I've added the carb to the engine (I really like this kit the fit of everything is really good)

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 16 December 2020 09:08:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is looking very nice Ken. Love the glass beads idea.Drool

Mark
roymattblack
#11 Posted : 16 December 2020 09:25:31

Nice update Ken.
A good work-round on the distributor.
Goodness knows why it's missing from such an otherwise well detailed kit
Kev the Modeller
#12 Posted : 16 December 2020 21:55:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is looking good Ken.

I can't believe that a kit of this size and with its' apparent Trumpeter bloodline doesn't offer even a basic representation of a distributor? That is just astounding, especially given the price that those Trumpeter GT40 retailed at when they were first released! Confused Blink Huh

Nice swerve in making your own distributor though. Cool ThumpUp

I've also read in the past that the tyres supplied with these kits aren't very good either!? There are aftermarket replacements available to save the day though.

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
admin
#13 Posted : 17 December 2020 02:35:11

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Trumpeter had the B/C team working on this one. But, it can be made into a really good build!

(I’ll post some pics tomorrow if a build a friend did, and then gave to me.
Kev the Modeller
#14 Posted : 17 December 2020 12:37:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

admin wrote:
Trumpeter had the B/C team working on this one. But, it can be made into a really good build!

(I’ll post some pics tomorrow if a build a friend did, and then gave to me.

I'll look forward to seeing those pics Mark, I'm sure it's a fantastic build and as you say this kit can be built into something much better with a bit of effort. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
kpnuts
#15 Posted : 17 December 2020 21:44:03

I too am looking forward to the pics.
Hi all the distributor is made and installed 

Sprayed the floor pan

Tried the engine in it.

No idea where the coil is placed on this car so left an extra long ht coil lead.
admin
#16 Posted : 17 December 2020 21:51:21

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

As promised, here are pics of my friend Steve Humphries build. He is also the one doing the Dodge Charger Official Build, and as soon as he can be taught to turn on his desktop computer, I hope we will see more from him Steve is an exceptionally talented modeler, so don't let him tell you otherwise!

This is the Trumpy boxing, with the ill fitting KA set added in. The build also has many scratchbuilt bits as well.
admin attached the following image(s):
poc oa.jpg
pic 5.jpg
pic 2.jpg
kpnuts
#17 Posted : 17 December 2020 22:25:50

Thats great, any more pics?
admin
#18 Posted : 18 December 2020 07:12:15

Jees. I loaded 4. Gotta love this platform!

Tomorrow. I’m in my iPad, and I’ve got to send them from my laptop.

Mark
kpnuts
#19 Posted : 18 December 2020 07:29:43

Thanks Mark
roymattblack
#20 Posted : 18 December 2020 09:11:26

Great work so far Ken.
I built the Trumpy one a good few years ago but never made a build diary anywhere.
I converted mine (incorrectly) into the Gulf car so I had to make my own decals.
There's loads you can do to add extra details etc...
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1010040smaller.jpg
P1010041smaller.jpg
P1010047smaller.jpg