Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
Kev's MFH 1:12 1967 Eagle Gurney-Weslake T1G Build Options
Kev the Modeller
#1 Posted : 10 December 2020 15:13:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all,

Here is my build diary for the Model Factory Hiro (MFH) 1:12 Eagle Gurney-Weslake T1G. To my eye this is one of, if not THE best looking Formula One cars ever.

This is my first build of an MFH kit and this particular kit has been on my wish list ever since I first discovered it, and now I own it. I am going to enjoy this build!

The kit and contents are as follows:

I will be building Version A depicting the car that won the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix (Round 4) with Dan Gurney at the wheel. To this day it is still the only F1 car to win a Grand Prix that was American built and driven by an American driver:

Lots of white metal castings ... :

... and those exhausts and mirrors in the right hand bag are made of stainless steel!:

Beautifully cast side pods in white metal and other body/chassis parts:

Various cast resin parts, including a beautifully thin nose cone:

Beautiful turned metal wheel rims (the centres are separate white metal parts):

Fantastic pre-printed tyres:

Several bags containing many smaller parts:

Wire mesh, including a pre-formed cover for the induction trumpets and a vac-formed windscreen. Also included is a cast resin seated driver figure with an uncanny likeness of the man himself, Dan Gurney. The helmet/head is resin cast and the separate visor is cast in white metal. Not sure if I will actually use the figure yet:

A couple of PE sheets:

Decal sheets. The small one is for the driver figure:

I also have the 'Zero Paints' 99.9% accurate 'Pearl Blue' paint for this model:

That is the kit contents.

To whet your appetites here is a link to a site that contains some very nice photos of this beautiful car (just scroll left or right on the scroll bar):

https://revsinstitute.or...ney-eagle-f-1-race-car/

These 1:12 MFH kits are quite expensive, but they really are something very special and although this is my first from this manufacturer, I can definitely say before I've even started to build it that this won't be my last - I'm already looking to see which one I fancy next!

The first job will be to re-bag all of the parts into the correct step order and check that everything is present and correct. After that it's on with the build which I hope will start this weekend but that depends on how much spare time I can find in my busy life! One thing's for sure though, I won't be rushing this build and it should take a few months to finish. During that time, I will also be feverishly saving my pennies ready to buy the next one!

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 10 December 2020 15:26:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Kev, BigGrin

That`s a cool looking kit you have there. I`m gonna have to give one of these MFH kits ago one day.Blink Blink

Don`t know if this book is of any interest:

https://www.ebay.com/itm...86a8:g:H-YAAOSwKRBbFiFZ

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 10 December 2020 15:28:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looks like a fantastic kit Kev. I have no doubt you'll do it proud.
Looking forward to seeing the build begin...BigGrin
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 10 December 2020 16:53:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

hey kev congratulations on a beautiful kit.MFH kits are the best. The one thing I would STRONGLY recommend is to test fit every thing before you start gluing.it is tempting to think these are precision kits and will fall together like a Tamiya car, but they dont in my experience and it is a nightmare when you spend 30 hours building the engine only to find it wont fit in the chassis properly.A magnetic tumbler is also helpful to polish the metal parts.

Will be watching your build with interest

Carl

birdaj2
#5 Posted : 10 December 2020 21:07:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Kev

That looks a very nice model.

Would be out of my class to build something like this but 8 know you eill turn out a lovely model.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Kev the Modeller
#6 Posted : 11 December 2020 10:50:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Many thanks for looking in and your nice comments Derek, Roy, Carl and Tony, always greatly appreciated! Cool ThumpUp

@ Derek - Thanks for that. I have seen that book and have tried to source one but it doesn't appear to be available in the UK at the moment! Unless anyone knows different? ThumpUp

@ Carl - Thanks for the advice Carl, greatly appreciated. I have read elsewhere that these kits do need forward planning and careful cross reference between steps, so I will have a careful approach to how I go about this build. Watching Malc build his MFH kits has been a help too. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Gandale
#7 Posted : 12 December 2020 00:35:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

I think I'm going to enjoy following this build as much as you will in building it Kev. Wish you the very best of luck with her, am sure you'll produce something very special..... Enjoy.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
admin
#8 Posted : 12 December 2020 03:26:01

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I have taken to assembling everything White Metal with CA, after I’ve fettled it into place. Once I’m happy with the fit, it all goes into a tub of acetone, to soak it completely apart. Then, I paint, and reassemble. I’ll solder the structural bits, and large assemblies. (Where I can. Paint obviously is allergic to soldering...) i

It’s a bit of a pain to do it this way, but it’s a LOT less frustrating than the scenario Carl (Darbyvet) described above!
RM1
#9 Posted : 12 December 2020 07:14:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev. I was right !! the Weslake Eagle. Brilliant choice. These kits are great to build. ( equal amounts of joy and frustration BigGrin )
I use a magnetic tumbler to clean all the parts before assembly ( there's a topic that i put in model making know how on how i use mine ).
Good idea to bag all the parts first. it also allows you you be sure that everything is in the box !!
Can't wait to see the progress.BigGrin BigGrin
Malc.
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 13 December 2020 10:27:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I am very much looking forward to following this build Kev. I must have ago at one of these kits one day.Cool ThumpUp

Mark
mogwai
#11 Posted : 13 December 2020 14:04:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi now that's a very nice looking car,look forward to following your progress cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Kev the Modeller
#12 Posted : 14 December 2020 10:29:07

Many thanks for looking in and your nice comments guys, always greatly appreciated. Hoping to get started very soon!

@ Mark Adams - Yeah, thanks for the advice Mark, I will be test fitting everything and thinking several steps ahead. These kits are too expensive to mess up! I am looking forward to the challenge though.

@ Malc - I've looked at your 'How To' article for magnetic tumblers, very helpful and I've watched several videos on Youtube. Been looking on the 'net and Ebay for a tumbler but it seems that they are hard to come by in the UK. A few sellers in Switzerland, Czech Republic and China. Even the ones in Switzerland and Czech Republic seem to be 'dispatched' from businesses in China!

Where did you get yours from Malc?

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#13 Posted : 20 December 2020 14:42:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Kev, I got my tumbler off the net after a google search. It's Chinese but supplied by a company in Spain...
I'll see if I can find the details and PM you to them.
Malc.
Kev the Modeller
#14 Posted : 21 December 2020 17:43:11

Hello all,

Well, here goes with the start of building this fantastic kit.

I've spent an age going through the instructions VERY carefully and putting the parts for each stage into their own compartment of two storage boxes. There does appear to be one small section of white metal piping with a couple of unions moulded into it which is missing. It may be that I've just misallocated it to the wrong section or gotten confused with a similar part, as the instructions for these kits are very vague, having to rely on drawings with just one view of each part - very easy to get it wrong! Anyway, if it does turn out to be missing it shouldn't be too difficult to scratch-build a replacement rather than wait for one to come all the way from Japan? Annoying but not a problem that can't be remedied!

Photos of the segmented storage boxes I'm using:

Whilst it has been suggested by several others that it's worthwhile purchasing a 'Magnetic tumbler' to speed up the cleaning process of all of the white metal parts, I don't actually own one at the moment and have struggled to find one here in the UK despite intensive searches! I have therefore decided for now to just use a small brass wire brush and different grades of wire wool, along with various grades of 'micro-mesh' to clean the parts. As you will see in the photos below, it seems to do the job nearly as well and doesn't cost upwards of £130, which is what the cheapest tumbler would cost me! A bit slower, but I'm not in any hurry.

My weapons of choice for cleaning the parts:

The photo below shows the two induction manifolds with the untreated part at the top with the opposite part beneath having been cleaned and prepped with the wire wool, etc. Not too bad I think and under paint no-one will ever know it hasn't been magnetically tumbled!

The photo below shows all that is involved in stage one of the build, with the relevant parts needed in the next photo. (Note - parts M157, the extender blocks that fit between the induction trumpets and the throttle plate aren't used in my early version of this car as they were only fitted later in the season):

Next photo shows the main engine parts for stage one after cleaning. I have also spent an age trawling through the instructions and cross referencing where future parts will need to fitted and pre-drilled all of their locating holes ... there are quite a few holes to drill!:

After cleaning all seam lines and rough edges and careful fettling of all of the parts, checking and re-checking the fit as I go, they have been glued together using a 5 minute two-part epoxy and then clamped and the glue excess cleaned away using a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl-alcohol (IPA):

Photo below shows the next parts to add to the engine. The PE parts I will be using from the sheet are in the top left corner, being small multi-holed brackets for keeping the ignition leads nice and tidy:

The last photo shows the main parts for the induction manifolds and trumpet/throttle plate cleaned and ready for paint. There's still a few more ancillary parts to add in stage one, besides the parts in the photo, but I haven't cleaned and prepped them yet:

I have already started the priming and painting process for the built engine block and remaining parts of stage one. The update for that should be along in the next few days, provided Christmas doesn't demand too much of my time!

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#15 Posted : 21 December 2020 18:33:16

Off to a great start there Kev.

Important point you mentioned is the need to check for all of the holes to be drilled before committing to an assembly. I actually went through the entire Alfa 158 kit with trial assemblies to make sure I'd found them all. BigGrin

Malc.
roymattblack
#16 Posted : 21 December 2020 19:34:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Wow... Off you go Kev.
It's looking great already!
I'm sure this will be a stunner.

Roy.
Gandale
#17 Posted : 22 December 2020 13:43:55

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you up and running with this one Kev. Looks like a lot of work is going to be put into this and am sure with all your skills she'll be beautifully turned out.... Look forward to seeing your next update....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Kev the Modeller
#18 Posted : 22 December 2020 21:43:30

Thanks for looking in and your kind comments Malc, Roy and Alan, always very much appreciated!

@ Alan - There certainly is a lot of work that goes into one of these MFH kits but boy do they look good when finished! Thanks for your compliment Alan.

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
bfam4t6
#19 Posted : 22 December 2020 22:56:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very alluring kit Kev. I’ll be following with interest!
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

birdaj2
#20 Posted : 23 December 2020 00:57:06

Kev

Certainly a kit for the experienced builder.

Its going to be a lovely model when finished but way to complicated for my level of skill.

You made a nice job of cleaning up that metal part. I guess you have to be very careful doing that so has not to damage the part.

Looking forward to seeing some more.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach