Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <12345>»
Kev's MFH 1:12 1967 Eagle Gurney-Weslake T1G Build Options
tf64
#41 Posted : 17 January 2021 23:17:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Love engine builds Kev, this looks a good'n

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

birdaj2
#42 Posted : 17 January 2021 23:22:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev.

Trying to keep up with your build but cannot see any pictures in your post from 13th jan.

I normally see picture text even if they do not appear but not seeing anything on your post so not sure if its a problem with my machine.

I am following along though and will check in again soon.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Kev the Modeller
#43 Posted : 18 January 2021 13:18:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Many, many thanks for looking in on my build and for such nice comments guys, always very much appreciated. Another update coming very soon.

@ Tony - Not sure why you can't see the pics in post #33 from 13th January, as I use the same system every time to upload my photos to the forum, meaning if you can see the first sets of photos in posts #1 and #14 then you also ought to be able to see those in post #33? I use a third party hosting site (Imgur) from which I simply copy and paste their 'BB Codes' for each photo to this forum, then that shows my photos on the Modelspace site immediately that you open my diary. They should also show immediately, none of that having to constantly refresh to eventually get every photo to show? I use Imgur because it allows me to insert text wherever I want it, even between photos, which unfortunately can't be done with Modelspaces' own upload system?

I suspect it might be something your end Tony? Anybody else unable to see my photos?

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
birdaj2
#44 Posted : 18 January 2021 16:35:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Many, many thanks for looking in on my build and for such nice comments guys, always very much appreciated. Another update coming very soon.

@ Tony - Not sure why you can't see the pics in post #33 from 13th January, as I use the same system every time to upload my photos to the forum, meaning if you can see the first sets of photos in posts #1 and #14 then you also ought to be able to see those in post #33? I use a third party hosting site (Imgur) from which I simply copy and paste their 'BB Codes' for each photo to this forum, then that shows my photos on the Modelspace site immediately that you open my diary. They should also show immediately, none of that having to constantly refresh to eventually get every photo to show? I use Imgur because it allows me to insert text wherever I want it, even between photos, which unfortunately can't be done with Modelspaces' own upload system?

I suspect it might be something your end Tony? Anybody else unable to see my photos?

Kev.

Hi Kev

Just looked back at your earlier posts and same thing with no pictures but what is odd is there is no picture link which you sometimes see if a posted picture does not appear straight away.

No doubt something wrong with my ipad that i use as its recently updated and i have had a few issues.

I will keep trying snd no doubt it will sort itself out at some point.

Best wishes to you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Kev the Modeller
#45 Posted : 18 January 2021 19:36:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello all,

Still waiting for my replacement parts to arrive from MFH Japan, but I've at least had an email from FedEx to say that they've collected it from MFH Japan and that it should be arriving with me at some point on Wednesday this week, which is good news!

A bit more done on the engine. Whilst I'm waiting for those parts from Japan, I've moved on to stage #2 in the instructions, which deals with the building and fitting of the fuel metering unit and various small ancillaries at the rear of the cylinder heads and block. Photo below shows what that entails:

Next photo shows the unprepared parts needed for this stage:

Part of the instructions for this stage call out for a drive belt to be made (which isn't supplied! Why?) which connects the fuel metering unit to a drive pulley at the rear of one of the cylinder heads (right-hand side looking forward). I hit upon the idea of using a narrow slice of shrink tube, placed over a couple of scrap pieces of aluminium tubing placed in two holes in a piece of wood, at the same width as the distance between the two drive pulleys, then heated the shrink tube with a hairdryer to give it the correct shape and length:

The finished and fitted belt can just about be seen in the two photos below, fitted behind a throttle support frame and bracket:

Next job, and a very fiddly one it is, was to start drilling holes in the body of the fuel metering unit to accept the twelve fuel unions for the fuel pipes. I also needed to drill two holes in the body to accept a couple of other pipe unions, along with a 0.4mm hole in the end of each of the twelve fuel unions to accept a small length of stainless wire to connect the fuel pipes to and three holes in the brackets to allow the fitting of the throttle levers. In total I had to drill 26 holes (!!!) in the fuel metering unit body, which as you can see from the penny shots, is no bigger than the nail on your middle finger! Jeez that was fiddly! Blink Blink:

Next job was to cut and fit twelve fuel lines to the metering unit. The kit supplies 'clear' micro tube for this purpose but I wanted something that at least looked like it had fuel in it. I used to do a bit of fishing a few years ago and was aware that fly-tiers use microtube sometimes for tying the bodies on some of the smaller flies, so I ordered a pack each of 0.6mm diameter 'yellow' and 'olive' at a cost of just £3.30 each including free p&p from a seller on Ebay. The olive looks a little too green to me and looked almost like the fuel was dirty, so I went with the yellow, which although a little brighter than I would have preferred it, isn't too bad and will hardly be seen once the engine cover is fitted anyway?

The microtubing:

Cut to length and fitted to each of the twelve unions on the fuel metering unit:

The fuel metering unit and throttle linkages were then assembled and fitted to the rear of the engine. Care had to be taken when connecting the other end of the fuel lines to the injectors to make sure that the fuel lines weren't to be seen resting on the drivebelt or fouling the location of the fuel induction/throttle plate which will be fitted in the next stage:

Once all was fitted, it was then just a case of test fitting the induction/throttle plate:

I think the replacement fuel lines don't look too bad actually, I'm quite happy with them. All that is left in stage #2 is to fit a small fuel pump unit along with a few bits of piping.

That's it for now, next update will see the induction throttle plate, throttle cable, ignition leads and lead separators fitted along with the turned aluminium induction trumpets, provided that they've arrived from MFH Japan on Wednesday!

All comments and criticisms welcomed. ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#46 Posted : 18 January 2021 19:44:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That looks astounding!
I think I need to look at some of these MFH kits and see if there's one I fancy...Love Love Love
Gandale
#47 Posted : 19 January 2021 00:57:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work Kev, looks flawless.....Love Love ... Great idea with the drive belt, looks to have worked out really well... Keep the pics coming....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
RM1
#48 Posted : 19 January 2021 07:41:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely job on the fuel lines Kev. BigGrin Good choice to go with the coloured tubes. I'm amazed that the Belt wasn't included in the kit....I've not experienced that with MFH before.
Keep up the brilliant work.
Malc.
Markwarren
#49 Posted : 19 January 2021 09:16:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Beautiful work Kev, love your attention to detail.Love Love Drool

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#50 Posted : 20 January 2021 13:14:06

Thanks for looking in and your comments Roy, Alan, Malc and Mark, very much appreciated as always! Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#51 Posted : 20 January 2021 13:24:29

roymattblack wrote:
That looks astounding!
I think I need to look at some of these MFH kits and see if there's one I fancy...Love Love Love

As a 'dyed in the wool' Jaguar fan Roy, this one might interest you. It's 1:12 scale and 'full detail':

https://www.modelfactory...com/SHOP/K554_K555.html

or this one:

https://www.modelfactory...com/SHOP/K595_K596.html

Plenty of 'non-Jaguar' kits to choose from too!:

https://www.modelfactory...P/319990/t01/list1.html

Shame they don't produce any of the older Jaguar racers like the 'D' type.

These kits are quite expensive but I think value for money given the huge amount of enjoyment that they can provide over many hours and with a hugely impressive model to show at the end, and quite weighty too - but definitely not for the inexperienced!!

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tigerace
#52 Posted : 20 January 2021 14:06:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

looks Great so far Kev BigGrin Excellent workDrool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

birdaj2
#53 Posted : 20 January 2021 23:25:11

Kev

I can now say how good that all looks as i can now see the pictures again.

I lost pictures on all of your builds for a couple of days but others posted direct to the forum i could see.

All very odd so not sure what was up with my viewer.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Kev the Modeller
#54 Posted : 22 January 2021 21:34:35

Many thanks Phil and Tony, always appreciate your kind comments. Glad you can see the pictures again Tony. Cool ThumpUp

Should have the next update ready to be posted up tomorrow at some point.

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#55 Posted : 23 January 2021 11:37:48

Hello all,

More progress with this build. This update deals with finishing the top end of the engine.

First off, my missing/replacement parts have arrived from MFH Japan, so I now have a full inventory of parts! Kyoko Hiro, who was the the person dealing with my request, included a very nice hand written letter and a small example of 'Origami' which I believe is of the 'Crane' bird which has a special meaning in Japanese culture. Apparently, according to Japanese culture, the crane is considered a 'Bird of Happiness' and for every 1,000 paper cranes a person folds, they receive a chance to make a special wish come true. I thought including this crane was a nice touch and something I will keep as a memento. I hope that Kyoko Hiro will eventually get that special wish! Thankyou Kyoko Hiro. My thanks also to Mark Adams (Admin) for helping me with the contact details of the people that I needed to speak to at MFH in Japan to get my problem resolved - much appreciated Mark.

Photo below shows the missing/replacement parts and the very nice letter and piece of 'Origami' from Kyoko Hiro at MFH:

Continuing with the engine build, next job was to paint and fit the tiny PE parts for the ignition lead separators that sit atop the induction plate. My reference photos show that they look to be brownish in colour, which given this is a car from the mid 1960's was probably an older material known as 'bakelite'? I painted the parts whilst on the PE fret to make it easier:

These were then fixed in place on the induction plate, being careful to get them correctly orientated with the greater number of holes nearest to the distributors and then decreasing towards the other end where there was just a small plate with a single hole? Very easy to get this muddled if you aren't paying attention as the induction plate can only be fitted one way round, but looks identical when viewed from above! I also fitted a small PE triangular bracket that will take the end of the throttle cable later in the build:

The induction plate complete with cable separators was then glued permanently to the top of the engine, being careful to ensure that the fuel lines sat down correctly in the gaps. Once the glue was set firm I cut to length and fitted each of the ignition leads from the twin distributors at the front of the engine, routing each through the relevant hols in the separators to keep it all neat and tidy. A further small annoyance for me with this kit was that MFH in their wisdom didn't supply quite enough of the 0.6mm black cable to make up all of the individual leads, leaving me two lengths short! I didn't have any 0.6mm in my spares box though I did have some 0.5mm, which looks ok against the slighter thicker wire and doesn't really notice so I went with using that:

Next job was the bit that makes this look like a proper F1 engine, that being the fitting of the twelve beautifully machined aluminium induction trumpets that sit like a crown on top of the engine! These were fairly straightforward to fit just needing a little bit of care to make sure that they seat properly with no unsightly gaps around the bottom. I've also fitted the fuel pump to the end of the left cylinder head (looking from the rear) and it's clear connecting feed pipe to the fuel metering unit. Best seen in the last photo below. There is another length of clear pipe that connects the fuel pump to the fuel tank which will be fitted later on. Last job for this update was to apply a custom wash to all of the details and inside the induction trumpets to accentuate the detail:

That's the majority of the work on the main engine unit done now. Still a few pipes and cables to connect up later. Next stage will be to start building the rear monocoque that houses the engine, then fit the gearbox and lots of ancillaries to connect the two units. I may start building the exhausts ahead of the the stage allocated in the instructions (which is quite near the end) in order to make it easier to line them up with all of the the collector pipes?

That's it for this update, all comments and criticisms welcomed. ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tf64
#56 Posted : 23 January 2021 13:51:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev, that's a nice gesture from MFH makes you feel wanted as a customer and probably buy again, that engine block is really good Kev this will turn out to be a great build.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

CaptnBirdseye
#57 Posted : 23 January 2021 14:12:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin What a great gesture from MFH!, sometimes it's the little things that make the difference.

I have to say Kev that i really love this build Love Don't get me wrong, your Voyager build is just superb, but i think this one should have a massive contender for your 'Build of the Month' awardDrool

One day (finances permitting) i fancy buying one of these kits. How do they compare to Pocher? (if you've ever built both?)

Keep up the stunning work ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards Gray
RM1
#58 Posted : 24 January 2021 07:36:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That engine looks superb Kev. Brilliant job. BigGrin
You mentioned a Custom wash to enhance the finish. can I ask what you used to make up that wash? In the past I have tried a Tamiya "Panel Line accent" as they call it. I got reasonable results but hoping to find something better.
Malc.
Markwarren
#59 Posted : 24 January 2021 10:50:57

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Stunning work Kev.Love Love Drool That is some very detailed modelling stills.Love

Mark
roymattblack
#60 Posted : 24 January 2021 14:13:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Brilliant work on that engine Kev. It looks amazing.
Keep it coming.Love