Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<7891011>
Kev's MFH 1:12 1967 Eagle Gurney-Weslake T1G Build Options
kpnuts
#161 Posted : 19 September 2021 11:09:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thats looking totally real, amazing work.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
roymattblack
#162 Posted : 19 September 2021 11:12:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That's a real beauty Kev.
You must be chuffed to bits with it. Awesome.Love
Gandale
#163 Posted : 19 September 2021 13:10:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

I only have one work Kev....... WOW!!!!!!!.... Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
Kev the Modeller
#164 Posted : 06 October 2021 21:07:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sorry chaps, I've only just noticed your comments, but thankyou Robin, Mark, Ken, Roy and Alan for looking in, very much appreciated as always. Cool ThumpUp

I have nearly finished the work on the cooling system for my next update and was hoping to get it posted today but had to give my attention to something else and ran out of time, so hopefully I'll be able to get it posted tomorrow!

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
goddo
#165 Posted : 06 October 2021 21:18:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Amazing stuff Kev.
Really well done mate.
Chris
tf64
#166 Posted : 06 October 2021 21:35:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You must be so pleased with this build Kev, it look's so good and worthy of a top place on any Forum, well done with the photography as this presents your skills so well.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Kev the Modeller
#167 Posted : 09 October 2021 20:36:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thankyou so much for your very kind comments about my work Chris and Trev, very much appreciated as always!! Cool ThumpUp

So, on with the next update - not many left now as I'm rapidly nearing the end of this build! - and this one deals with the fitting of the main coolant tank, radiator and associated coolant pipes back to the engine.

The first four photos show the main coolant tank built and painted and then fitted to the front bulkhead of the car:

The main body of the radiator and the PE mesh for the radiator are supplied in the kit but strangely, there are no inner parts supplied, meaning that the viewer can see straight through the radiator from one side to the other! Not very good for a kit as expensive as one of these MFH 1:12 kits in my opinion but I couldn't leave it like that even though when the nosecone is fitted, it is very unlikely that it will ever be removed again so the inadequate radiator will likely never be noticed - but I'll know it's there!! So, I used the radiator body to mark out a piece of plastic card to the correct shape, then glued lengths of 'channel' shaped' plastic strips to both sides, which when butted together give quite a convincing portrayal of the vertical water channels in a car radiator? This was then glued inside the radiator frame and I then primed and painted the whole assembly, after which the PE mesh was fitted front and back. The mesh is slightly out in its' proportions and wasn't exactly the same shape as the frame, but heyho, again it will have to do as it likely won't be very easily seen when the nosecone is fitted! Although the instructions call out for the radiator to be painted silver like many other parts in this kit, I have seen reference photos that show the radiator to be mainly brass in colour with some very noticeable silver lines where the various parts have been soldered together in manufacture and I decided that I wanted to try this with mine, partly because the brass would be a nice contrast to what is a predominantly natural metal area on the car.

The photos below show the sequence for building the radiator core, then the fitting of it and the painting and weathering of the brass which gives it a nice patina look along with a portrayal of the soldered joints. I have also fitted the various water pipes with rubber hoses and 'jubilee' type clips and then the support framework which includes the air cooling intakes for the cockpit:

The whole assembly was then fitted to the front of the car. Quite tricky to get so many parts lined up but I managed it with care and it all looks pretty straight to me!:

Final job to complete the fitting of the cooling system was to add the water pipes and various connections that run beneath the chassis from the radiator to the engine block at the rear. The last two photos show the basic components before clean up and painting and then after fitting:

Progress so far - getting closer to the chequered flag on this one!:

That's it for this update, next one is tackling that glorious 'spaghetti' exhaust system! Drool

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed. ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#168 Posted : 09 October 2021 22:36:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Just superb work Kev. Modelling at its finest.Love Love

Mark
roymattblack
#169 Posted : 10 October 2021 09:56:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Absolutely amazing work here.
A total show stopper.

Are you going to gloss coat the body or leave it slightly satin which is probably closer to how it looked back in the day?
None of the current 'wet-look' finishes back then, of the F1 cars nowadays.
mogwai
#170 Posted : 10 October 2021 18:22:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi kev superb work as always. Wish you well in all your future endevers when you leave us .cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Plymouth57
#171 Posted : 10 October 2021 20:46:49

Fantastic work as always Kev, I really love the metal finishes!Cool Cool Cool
"I'll know its there" is a recognized infectious syndrome which is believed to be spread between modellers who have developed an immunity to the "It'll do" disease!BigGrin

Loving it!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Kev the Modeller
#172 Posted : 16 October 2021 11:57:11

Many thanks for your kind comments about my work guys, very much appreciated as always! Cool ThumpUp

@ Roy - It does already have a clearcoat on the body parts but I kept the level of shine deliberately low for the very reasons that you state. I want to keep it 'in scale' though I will give it a gentle final wax polish when I'm finished just to bring it up a little bit more? My final photos for this will probably be taken outside in the natural sunlight where you'll see that it is a little shinier than it appears here but will definitely be kept within scale. Those 'super shiny' high gloss finishes seem to be the 'in' thing in the auto modelling world at the moment, but they aren't realistic! ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
goddo
#173 Posted : 16 October 2021 16:02:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

A beautiful build with great attention to all the small details, Kev.
Well done, mate.
Chris
bfam4t6
#174 Posted : 16 October 2021 17:07:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is amazing Kev!
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

Kev the Modeller
#175 Posted : 17 October 2021 13:46:08

Many thanks Chris and Dustin for taking the time to look in on my build and for your fabulous compliments, they are always greatly appreciated! Cool ThumpUp

Another update coming soon! ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
admin
#176 Posted : 18 October 2021 14:58:27

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Kev, your radiator looks outstanding! What paints/techniques do you use to get the soldered brass look?

Looking awesome!

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#177 Posted : 19 October 2021 11:31:43

Hello Mark,

The brass is a 'custom' 2:1 mix of Alclad 2 'Pale Burnt Metal' (ALC-104) and Alclad 2 'Polished Brass' (ALC- 109) airbrushed at 10-15 psi then when that is dry just brush paint any acrylic silver paint of your choice along all of the joints to create the impression of solder lines (reference photos help) and let that dry. Then airbrush a thin coat of satin clearcoat over everything to seal it. Don't be too neat with your solder lines as they aren't straight in reality, neat and straight lines won't give the desired effect, irregular is good! When that is dry, I then use a heavily thinned (about 4 parts thinner to 1 part paint) mix of 'Winsor & Newton' 'Alkyd Oils' - which are fast drying - in 'Burnt Umber' and 'Paynes Gray' in a roughly 2:1 ratio, but you'll have to play with it a little to get the right colour, and then liberally brush it all over. As it is mostly thinner in the mix, you'll find that as the layer dries it allows the colour to 'pool' into all the little indentations in the surface and that leaves a nice weathered 'Patina' look when dried. Then just lightly go over the solder joints again to make them a little brighter after the oil wash. As a final touch I just lightly dragged some weathering pencils in appropriate colours in a vertical motion on the radiator mesh to give a subtle water stained look to the mesh both sides of the radiator? Finally give it all another thin layer of satin clear. I use 'Winsor & Newton' Acrylic Varnishes, thinned about 2:1 for all of my models. They dry fast and are very tough so they withstand a fair amount of handling?

And that's it really Mark, hope that helps?. Having seen some of your wonderful MFH builds I know you have the necessary skills, it just takes a bit of practice and I'm sure that you'll soon work it out. Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tigerace
#178 Posted : 19 October 2021 11:43:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Amazing work KevBigGrin you really no your stuff looks so clean Drool Drool like she has just come straight out of the factoryDrool Drool Drool outstanding build mate BigGrin

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

admin
#179 Posted : 19 October 2021 16:43:16

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Thanks, Kev!

I tend to get hung up on color choices. (Art major at Uni a gazillion years ago) Metallics are a lot of fun with a MFH kit. I use various texturing techniques on “08 Silver” to get the effect I’ve got visualized.

I’m at battle with the brass radiator on the Bugatti right now. Your brass color is very close to what I had in mind.

Thanks!

Mark
tf64
#180 Posted : 19 October 2021 18:32:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Top marks on this one Kev, outstanding work.
Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).