Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2D2 Problems Options
adriank
#1 Posted : 19 December 2020 09:04:26

Groups: Registered

Hi all, I have just completed my R2D2 and I have had some strange problems.
On the first few tries powering up R2 he jerked forward and the red light stays on the head rotates ok and I could control the head back and forth but I couldn't control the legs.

The head had now stopped responding all together and makes a clicking sound on power up. What is strange is when I connect the charger and power the unit on the head fully rotates and does its check ok.

I have opened it and re-seated all the connectors confirming all have been correctly oriented. Also checked the batteries and re-seated, ensuring all contacts are touching. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 19 December 2020 10:09:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

It is very difficult to diagnose what is wrong without seeing what is happening. It sounds like a battery issue. Red light staying on means the batteries need charging and are less than 20% charged. Check you have the right batteries, they should be unprotected and have a minimum of 2000mAh anything less than this and R2 will struggle to operate.
The clicking sound is normal on startup as it is doing system check.
A troubleshooting guide can be found here.
https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=30247

Mark
adriank
#3 Posted : 19 December 2020 11:20:36

Thanks for the quick reply Mark, reassuring to know about the head noise and yes you were correct it was a battery issue. I took the batteries out and put them back in to the battery box, fully charged the unit and I am happy to report fully working! BigGrin
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 19 December 2020 11:23:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great to hear. ThumpUp Enjoy the little fella. Just don’t let him near the Christmas tree, mine took my tree out a couple of years ago when I completed mine.LOL

Happy Christmas
Mark
adriank
#5 Posted : 19 December 2020 12:03:34

Thanks Mark, happy Christmas to you also.
Cheers

Adrian