Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Not working. Advice needed Options
cfuu1
#1 Posted : 23 December 2020 06:29:55

Groups: Registered

Hi all
I've just completed the R2 build and unfortunately does not work. I was very meticulous with the build and double checked all the wiring and connections. I even bought another brand of batteries and still does not work. No lights come on at all.
Would appreciate any advice.

regards
cfuu1
admin
#2 Posted : 23 December 2020 07:40:01

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

The first thing I’d check is if the batteries are actually making contact. I had the same issue with mine, and it was the battery box that was messing everything up.

MarkWarren or Darbyvet will be jumping in, I don’t doubt, as well as Stefan.

Stay well,

Mark
S4Simon
#3 Posted : 23 December 2020 08:06:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The R2 is a very complex unit. The provided circuit boards and computers are very robust and realistically would only cause 1% of overall failures. Most of other peoples issues relate to a bad battery which would cause power up issues. The battery box can have weak springs thus causing bad connections. One person had a battery box where the solder connections had come away, easy enough fix with a soldering iron. Some people have batteries moving around inside the battery box and end up putting some padding inside the box to stop any movement. The most common problem is connections. Either in the wrong way round, or have been pulled out a few times thus weakening the wires and causing breakage. Or misaligned connectors.

Considering your unit is not exhibiting any forms of life, I would start my fault finding with the battery box. Take it out and take the covers off to look at internal solder points, then look at spring tension. Confirm all batteries are charged at the full 4+ volts. Check no battery movement when the cover is on. Once you’re happy with the battery box do a full restart sequence with the power pack as per initial startup instructions. If no luck, then start checking every connection. It’s a long process but just start at one end and process through to check everything. Just like trying to fix a wiring problem on an airbus jet. Have a process and be methodical. :-)
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
cfuu1
#4 Posted : 23 December 2020 08:50:02

I've just checked again and made sure all batteries are fully charged. I opened the battery box and all solder points look OK. When the batteries are in, there's no movement and all seem to be contacting well. Did the initial start up and still no life.

Could it be the MCU? and is there a way to systematically check the connections without pulling too much of it apart?

S4Simon
#5 Posted : 23 December 2020 12:25:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hopefully someone smarter than me might have better / alternative answers.

My next thought would be that sensors like the shoulder sensors / cliff sensor would only be inputs that would not hinder start up. Therefore only the main cpu interconnections and all power connections would need to be checked. I’d pay particular attention to the power in Jack and associated connection plug point.

Where about in Oz are you .

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
tschwand
#6 Posted : 23 December 2020 14:16:34

I know this sounds stupid but, assuming you do have the proper type of batteries, did you triple check verify correct insertion in the box? Have heard some people make that mistake.
cfuu1
#7 Posted : 27 December 2020 10:47:52

Thanks everyone. I'm located in Sydney.

Tschwand: I checked the batteries were in the correct position. Still no life.
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 27 December 2020 12:24:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Can you let me know what type and more information on the batteries you have please. Trying to diagnose an issue is always difficult when we can’t see what is going on. Did you do the setup procedure for the first time as stated in the manual. You may have to do this again it you removed the batteries. Without this initial procedure, R2 will not work.
You can find the guide here in the troubleshooting section.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=30247

If you have done all the above and still no life can you check to see if any power is coming out of the battery box.
A link here shows how to do this and what to expect.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=32756

Let me know how you get on.

Mark
cfuu1
#9 Posted : 27 December 2020 23:18:26

I feel so dumb!!! I didn't realise there was another on/off switch on the front.

I now have power and working through all the functions.

Everything is working well apart from no sound. I took a look and the speaker and interestingly sound comes on when the speaker is in the horizontal position. I will play the hologram audio and as soon as I lift up the back panel vertically, the sound cuts off. I took off the speaker cover and all the wires look connected. Is there a simple fix for this?

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 27 December 2020 23:48:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Glad you’ve got him working. Cool Don’t worry we’ve all done it, it’s a man thing not to look at the manual.LOL

Mark
cfuu1
#11 Posted : 28 December 2020 02:08:08

Thanks Mark, any suggestions on my sound problem?
S4Simon
#12 Posted : 28 December 2020 05:20:39

Sounds like a simple connection problem ;-). Either a dodgy connection with the extension cable or dodgy connection at the speaker. Carefully move speaker wire whilst playing sound. Pay particular attention to cable joins and speaker connection. This fault should be pretty easy to resolve as its one cable, and you know the speaker works.

cfuu1
#13 Posted : 28 December 2020 13:34:44

Thanks everyone! R2 works perfectly! Found the culprit. One of the pins in the speaker cable was not fully in.
Thanks again