Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Star Wars Thermal Detonator Build (Minus the Blowing Up Bit) Options
Markwarren
#21 Posted : 17 January 2021 16:27:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thank you Andreas and Alan for looking in.

A lot of filling and sanding later and I’m ready to prep both the domes. I used some plastic putty at first, but this just wasn’t getting the very fine lines out. So, I used “bondo” glazing and spot putty. This is a red putty and dries very quickly and sands down beautifully, so I shall be using this again on other models. I used a filler primer, again sanding this down with a very fine sandpaper until I was happy and then primed the whole thing. The bottom dome was masked off and painted with a polished steel, as this area differs from the chrome finish the rest of the dome has. The trigger switch was also painted with polished steel with black metallic for the grip section.
Once all the parts were dry, both domes were given a high gloss black coat of paint. This will be allowed to dry and harden for a week, when they will both be further polished up to create a mirror effect result before the chrome is applied.
I have also fixed a red cap on the top chrome bezel as shown.

I will start soldering the wires in readiness to fit when both domes are complete.

More soon.

Mark
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
Markwarren
#22 Posted : 20 January 2021 20:05:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Small update, although it has taken all day to do this. I started the day with the electronics taking it from the test board to soldering the sections ready to insert into the detonator. As you can see, I have colour coded all the cables for ease of attaching them to the Arduino board. The 9v battery has been fully charged as well. All went well and worked first time.
I then decided to chrome the domes, now the gloss black paint has had several days to cure.
I used Alclad 2 metal chrome paint and was very pleased with the result.

More soon.
Mark

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
darbyvet
#23 Posted : 20 January 2021 20:57:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Fantastic work as always.I am keen to see your alclad results.I have to do a large dome for my ET ship and was thinking of using alclad.

Carl

Markwarren
#24 Posted : 21 January 2021 19:56:56

Thanks Carl.

The photos really don’t do the chrome paint any justice at all. The Alclad paints are brilliant, you just need to do a lot of prep work before hand. When spraying the paint on, you need to know when to stop. Too many layers will quickly turn it into silver paint rather than the base colour coming through. If you want a lighter chrome, you can use a high gloss white instead of black.
Alclad also do an aqua gloss clear coat, designed for these paints and it doesn’t affect the shiny metallic look they create.
I will be applying this as well. I usually don’t bother, but as this will most likely be handled quite often, I didn’t want to spoil the effect. The chrome can wear after time when handled if not sealed.

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#25 Posted : 22 January 2021 21:21:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

This is an amazing build Mark, way above anything I could do that involves the use of electronics, which I know nothing about being an 'old school' modeller, and all the more impressive given that it is completely built from scratch! Very impressive work and that chrome finish looks superb too.

Very well done Mark, top job! Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Gandale
#26 Posted : 23 January 2021 00:53:51

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Truly stunning work Mark and an inspiration to anyone thinking of trying their hand at a spot of scratch building.... Very impressing throughout.....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#27 Posted : 24 January 2021 10:47:27

Thank you Kev and Alan for looking in and you kind words.BigGrin

Just making the display case whilst everything is drying.

Mark
Markwarren
#28 Posted : 27 January 2021 20:35:51

Now all the paint and varnish has been allowed to harden and cure, it was time to polish those domes. Next, was placing the handle on the top of the dome and connected the switch to make sure it was placed in the right position. All the chrome light bezzles were fixed in place using a glue gun and then the LED’s were then placed inside them. The rest of the electronics were fitted inside, and boy there wasn’t a lot of room left.
I have also put a test video to show the lighting and sound effects.

Thermal Detonator Test

Mark
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Markwarren
#29 Posted : 27 January 2021 20:36:51

This time I have designed a display case. Rather that try and make something out of MDF as I usually do, I decided to print it instead. The hole in the middle is for a lead weight to give it some weight and then a mirror is placed on the top or outer recess.
The stand itself is made of clear acrylic and fixed to the mirrored base and some felt backing applied to the tips to stop it rubbing the chrome dome.
Just awaiting the brushed steel name plate to be fitted to the base and all is done.

Final pictures coming soon.
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#30 Posted : 28 January 2021 11:46:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Given that this is a fully scratchbuilt creation and a result of your own skills and ingenuity, I think this is amazing work Mark. Not my favourite genre I'll admit but simply amazing nonetheless!

Take a bow Mark, that is a stunning example of your art, very well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#31 Posted : 28 January 2021 19:20:08

Thank you Kev for your very kind words. What started out as an experiment for my new toy, I can now see a lot of advantages for my modelling.

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#32 Posted : 29 January 2021 11:07:05

I think that's the best part about modelling Mark, starting out on a new project, not knowing exactly how it will turn out but then along the way you discover new methods of doing things and discover new skills which will then help to propel you to the next level and bigger and better things? Pushing the boundaries and trying new things is the only way to learn. All part of the fun and very exciting I think - and immensely satisfying too!?

Keep up the great work Mark. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra