Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Electronics Dead Options
jgmayer
#1 Posted : 08 January 2021 04:08:30

Groups: Registered

Just completed issue 87 and when I tried the electronics nothing works. Everything was working at prior testing stages, but now its all dead. Have tried two sets of batteries. I've had horrible luck with these kits, I've never gotten the R2D2 to even turn on (again worked at all testing parts), and now this one where everything was fine until the final assembly. Really don't want to have to tear this apart, did that twice with the R2D2, which was a waste of time. Any guesses as to what is wrong?

Thanks.
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 08 January 2021 10:07:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Assuming you did the test stage at 74, I can only say to check the cables on the board in case one has been dislodged.

Mark
clay
#3 Posted : 08 January 2021 15:26:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I ran into several issues with my install! Check the power switch! Mine was not soldered on - the heat shrink was the only thing making the wires make contact. I soldered it myself. I also had the wires break for the motors - both of them! Not the manufacturers fault, twas mine (except the switch wires!) Also, you need to ensure you are using the remote right next to the antenna! Nothing will work if you aren't close to the antenna!!!

Just my .02...

Clay
S4Simon
#4 Posted : 09 January 2021 00:10:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I’ve built a few of these complex builds now and have found the CPU’s in all the builds to be pretty much bullet proof. The major weak point of the builds are when a builder disconnects wiring. Every time this is done the connection point weakens to a point of failure. General rule is - don’t pull the wires, only the connector. Other issues are misaligned or inverted connectors.

If all was working in the pre test, then it’s either a connector issue or damaged wire.

I’d say that from all the problems I’ve seen on Facebook pages and here on this forum, 95% of the problems are finger related. These are complex systems and require patience and a high level of hand skills. As an ex military guidance system engineer, it’s a matter of check, check, install and check again.
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
admin
#5 Posted : 09 January 2021 08:02:36

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

What I’ve taken to doing is using a Bondic UV cure pen to bond the connectors to the board better. It’s non-conducive, so is the perfect solution to the connectors pulling off. As far as the wire side, I remove the lock on the connector. It’s not going to be placed under load when the build is finished, so that alleviates the need to lock the connectors together.

Hth!

Mark
clay
#6 Posted : 11 January 2021 14:53:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Now you tell me Mark!!!Cursing

Just kidding...that's a damn fine idea!

Clay