Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<1213141516>»
Tom Options
tom.ganc
#261 Posted : 15 November 2021 11:12:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks everyone.
I have just started on the 6 deck cannons so be patient as update will be coming by end of the week ;)
tom.ganc
#262 Posted : 16 November 2021 15:08:14

Hello again

I managed to get some work done last night and I thought I'd share something with you. I'm making the 6 top deck cannons now and I'd like to add some details to them.
I will be using 2mm blocks for the proper rigging so there are some details required too ;)

First thing I found somewhere it was the wheels. Real cannon has much thicker wheel shafts than proposed brass ones and I managed to find just the right way of doing it. I can't remember where I saw this method but it works great.

Instead of using the brass rod I used tooth picks but you insert them from the outside of the carriage which means the spike goes into the wheel first and then comes out and into the carriage. This gives you thicker diameter on the outside which you can trim. I went a step forward and decided to show the metal strap on the wheel hub. Using method described at the gun port lids I made some eyes of the diameter just big enough to fit on the toothpick just outside the wheel. Then I cut the toothpick off and secured it all with tiny drop of super glue.
It looks really good and I'm pleased with the result so far.

Tonight I will be putting everything together; as you can see on the last pic there is quite few extras on each cannon ;)

My aim is to get started on the rear gallery this week, and probably do the carronades.

I hope it is all helpful ;)

Regards
Tom
nightwisher
#263 Posted : 16 November 2021 22:00:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tom ,love what your doing with the guns it's little upgrades like this that make the difference Cool
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
richard.l
#264 Posted : 16 November 2021 22:52:15

Great work Tom I'm loving all the detail she will be a stunner when shes finished.

tom.ganc
#265 Posted : 17 November 2021 10:40:16

Thanks guys, I always try to make things slightly better if I can. I really enjoy the process and if my experiences can help anybody it's great.

Last night was quite time consuming as I was assembling the guns and preparing the rigging blocks. I used 2mm single blocks from Cornwall Model Boats as the supplied ones are way too oversized. I know that originally cannons have double blocks I think but the 3mm ones would just look too big. I will use double ones for the back of the carriage.

It was a fiddly job getting all the little hooks and attaching the string but it's done. The only thing I have left is the thick rope that holds the gun itself.

Have a look :)

Sit tight for another update ;)

Regards
Tom
tom.ganc
#266 Posted : 20 November 2021 18:07:57

Hello again

As promised another update on my build. I decided to get cracking with the gallery and gosh it was tons of work to get it nicely done. I'm almost there, just need to do some painting of black strips and little touch ups but it looks impressive already.

I couldn't resist to dry fit the masts and WOW I forgot how beautiful she is with them on :)

Have a look ;)

Net up will be fitting chainwales and little bits and pieces on the deck. Once done I'm off to making bowsprit :)

Have a great and productive weekend all

Regards
Tom
delboy271155
#267 Posted : 20 November 2021 18:14:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Tom,

Looking very good to me, think it will be a work of art when finished.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Keep up the good work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gibbo
#268 Posted : 20 November 2021 18:48:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Galleries look fantastic Tom
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
z8000783
#269 Posted : 20 November 2021 18:49:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Fantastic work Tom, well done.

tom.ganc
#270 Posted : 20 November 2021 18:58:14

Thanks guys

I nearly forgot how satisfying it is when you see all the hours of work turning into something this stunning :)

When I was fitting spindles I almost thought I'm going to fall short as I realised how close together I fitted them. Luckily we were supplied little extra so I have about 6 left BigGrin

Looks like I will be messing with some other stuff tonight LOL
goddo
#271 Posted : 20 November 2021 21:53:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Tom,
Some very impressive and neat work there.
Keep it coming.
Chris
tom.ganc
#272 Posted : 21 November 2021 11:07:35

Hi all

Yeah, it is great fun for sure. Yesterday I was messing with my son's lego blocks and I made simple rope walk just to run some tests with rope making. I used regular thread I found (I think it was 0.2mm). I need to experiment with different pulling force when twisting the strands but so far I'm impressed. I used one of the ropes as breech rope for my cannons and it looks great. This is just a temporary one but so far so good.

Have a look...

And the cannon with all the rigging ;)

Have a great Sunday

Tom
birdaj2
#273 Posted : 21 November 2021 17:56:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tom

Really like how your model is progressing and looking.

I have dug myself into a bit of a rut with so many unmade kits i don’t know what to start (if i ever will) or what to pick up that i had started but due to personal issues over the last year.

My very first “proper” part work was the victory and while the hull is only complete to the planking down to the gunport level, i really want to do something with it seeing lovely it can be made as with yours.

Hope yours continues as well as it is going, and hoping i can pick mine up in the coming weeks.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tom.ganc
#274 Posted : 24 November 2021 20:48:40

Hello everyone

Thanks Tony for kind words and I hope you will get bac to the Victory build and make her spectacular :)

I'm working away all this week but I couldn't resist taking my last contraption with me (lego rope walk). I've got some thread and I'm manufacturing some ropes in the hotel LOL

There is not much I can do here so at least I get to practise. This will be better version of rope for my shrouds. I'm planning to get better quality thread and improve my ropewalk so I can make more quantities and quicker ;)

Have a look at some samples...

I'm back on Friday so I hope to have productive weekend :)

Regards
Tom
Gibbo
#275 Posted : 24 November 2021 21:34:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Tom
it would be good to have a pic of the ropes when you get your new thread alongside the ones you have now for comparison, because they look great already
Regards
Paul
nightwisher
#276 Posted : 24 November 2021 21:51:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow that rope looks amazing,can't believe you have achieved that with a bit of lego Cool
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
tom.ganc
#277 Posted : 25 November 2021 22:56:47

Hi there

Thanks for that guys, so I just went to the shop this evening and got some Gutermann thread got the cotton in neutral and black in synthetic. I made three ropes from neutral ( 3x1, 3x2 and 3x3) and one from black (3x3)

Please have a look and compare to the cheap thread ones. I'm extra happy with the neutral look but not too sure about the black. There is massive u=improvement already but I've got to try something else too ;)

Thanks
Tom
Gibbo
#278 Posted : 26 November 2021 00:11:12

Looks great Tom, looking forward to seeing the 'something else'
Regards
Paul
delboy271155
#279 Posted : 29 November 2021 19:41:56

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Anyone who goes that extra mile has my admiration for sure and this is one of those occasions.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

The Lego rope walk looks great and appears to work well with the thread you are using. WTG (Just hope the Lego owner doesn`t suddenly want it back)LOL LOL

Keep up the good work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tom.ganc
#280 Posted : 07 December 2021 10:27:12

Thanks guys

The lego owner doesn't mind as he is old enough that this lego had been sat in the loft for last few years ;)

I managed to get some synthetics thread and I'm doing some trial ropes. I'm going with black and dark brown so it should look great.

I was thinking about getting cnc rigging blocks but it will end up costing me a fortune looking at amount of them in the model so I have decided against it. I will be staining the original ones walnut so they will look much better. Already redone rigging of all the blocks on the chainwales with the new rope - big improvement.

In the meantime I have finished the top cannons and carronades rigging - looks great to me. I will be taking some decent photos hopefully tonight so I can share the results with you all.

Yu will have to be patient with the pictures as I don't want to spoil the effect using the poor quality ones ;)

Stay tuned

Tom