19 Pages «<16171819>
Tom Options
tom.ganc
#341 Posted : 09 March 2022 23:06:41

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi again,
I wonder where is everybody? Is it just me working on the build? Cool

Finally managed to attach main stay, I bought open and closed heart block from Vanguard to make it look better. I must tell you it was a really slow job to get everything done as it should be. Making main stay was a task and half and manipulating it without unravelling warming was bit tricky. I came up with simple solution for any rope making when after twisting you have do another process; serving for example or warming. When I twisted main stay I soaked it a little in really diluted PVA just to give it bit of stiffness so I don't unravel the strands while warming it. Once warming was done I repeated the process as it was still serving to do. I had to be extra careful but I managed to get the result I wanted.

Have a look ;)

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Happy modelling :)

Tom
birdaj2
#342 Posted : 09 March 2022 23:11:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks spectacular Tom.

Your ropes are a work of art. Look very complicated to make but you have produced really nice examples.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
richard.l
#343 Posted : 09 March 2022 23:30:06

Wow Tom that does look spectacular and those pictures are superb as well. keep it up, i am still working away on my build at a snails pace compared to this time last year but i still get an hour or two a night. i am busy making rope for the shrouds and have recently purchased the siezing machine and have siezed my first 2 ropes, so all good there but will be awile before i attach shrouds to ship as i have the hammock cranes to finnish first.
tom.ganc
#344 Posted : 10 March 2022 16:44:50

Thanks Tony, Richard

It's great fun doing it all so I keep pushing until I'm ready for next big challenge which is sails. As you can imagine I'll be doing my own :)

Right now I'm starting on rest of the mizzen mast moving back to the main and fore mast. It will take me a while but who cares. You have to enjoy the process.

I can't wait to see some of your updates here.

Regards
Tom
Gibbo
#345 Posted : 11 March 2022 00:51:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Tom
Still here mate, haven't really done a lot lately so nothing to show, yours however is looking superb, keep them great pictures coming.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tom.ganc
#346 Posted : 11 March 2022 12:32:55

Hi Paul

Thanks for that, I'm doing it really slow as everything takes ages to do but it is well worth it. I already made a start on the upper mizzen mast, tonight I'm planning to do all the shrouds/backstays serving. I want to get as much done as I can this weekend. It took me a while to find exact way everything should be done. Tom past futtock shrouds, the way everything is lashed and attached to the mast...I will have some detailed photos once I'm done so sit tight ;)

Regards

Tom
tom.ganc
#347 Posted : 14 March 2022 22:49:08

Hiya modellers!

I hope you are ok. I promised update and I got it. Today I finished working on mizzen mast. I completed all shrouds and back stays. I must say it looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on upper main mast and fore mast :)

It was bit tricky to get all the details, especially when I was rigging upper futtock shrouds as they are lashed behind upper deadeyes. Completely different to the instructions but it is the way the original was built.

Have a look at some pics, they are not perfect but they must do at this point ;)

Happy modelling and see you next time ;)

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

z8000783
#348 Posted : 19 March 2022 08:45:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Just incredible, Tom . . .

. . . and so inspiring, but I have no idea how I would even begin to emulate this wonderful work.

tom.ganc
#349 Posted : 19 March 2022 20:54:52

Thanks John,

To be fair it is easier than you think. One step at the time. First you need to make some trials with your own ropes then slowly as your skill improves you can get it done nicely. It takes some research in the Anatomy of Nelson's Ships and HMS Victory Her Construction, Career and Restoration. Great detailed drawings of some intricate stuff regarding rigging. You will find yourself replacing the original blocks with more to scale ones. I was contemplating on getting CNC set but for the Victory you are talking hundreds of blocks which would cost me best part of £200 so I gave it a pass this time. Maybe on next model. Instead I'm using more to scale (smaller) blocks from Cornwall Model Boats. I just calculate the size from the real dimensions and pick ones more suitable.

I have decided to finish all the mizzen mast assembly together with gaff and boom but without the sails. I just wanted to see how it looks with the running rigging partly done and WOW I'm amazed :) All the details look absolutely stunning! I want to finish boom tonight and hopefully post some pics tomorrow ;)

Regards

Tom

z8000783 wrote:

Just incredible, Tom . . .

. . . and so inspiring, but I have no idea how I would even begin to emulate this wonderful work.

Gibbo
#350 Posted : 19 March 2022 23:16:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Yep WOW is the word Tom, great work mate.
tom.ganc
#351 Posted : 20 March 2022 00:25:57

Thanks, just finished for today. Nearly done just need to replace couple of ropes as I cut them too short...Blink

I must say it will be really busy with all the running rigging and sails on top of this.

Sit tight for the update... :)

Regards

Tom

Gibbo wrote:
Yep WOW is the word Tom, great work mate.

tom.ganc
#352 Posted : 20 March 2022 11:02:54

Ok guys! I got my DSLR out this morning for some decent pictures and here you have. Her stern starts to look more complete and gosh it is joy to my eyes. I love how everything falls into the place.

As I mentioned before I have not used original instruction for this but based my research on Anatomy of Nelson's Ships and HMS Victory... by Alan McGovan. Great source of information and detailed drawing especially for the rigging.

Enjoy...

_CBP2658

_CBP2657

_CBP2656

_CBP2655

_CBP2654

_CBP2652

_CBP2659

_CBP2660

_CBP2661

_CBP2662

_CBP2664

_CBP2665

_CBP2666

_CBP2667

_CBP2671

_CBP2673

_CBP2674

_CBP2675

_CBP2676

_CBP2677

_CBP2678

_CBP2679

_CBP2650

_CBP2651
tom.ganc
#353 Posted : 05 April 2022 09:27:31

Morning all fellow modellers :)

Looks like everyone is busy crafting away. So am I. In the meantime I've got a little project going in my house, just finished building at the back of my house so we can actually walk out during nice British summer ;)
There is also composite decking on its way so I'm flat out.
Still have some time to doodle on my Victory, I'm working main top mast now, got all the shrouds in and I hope to get it mounted by end of this week.

Of course I will keep you updated with the pics so sit tight.

Have a great week.
Tom
goddo
#354 Posted : 05 April 2022 10:07:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Morning Tom,
I really don't know where you find the energy or the time to work on the house and at the same time, get so much done on the Victory and to such a high standard.
If you have a few moments, my gutters need cleaning out.........BigGrin BigGrin
Chris
tom.ganc
#355 Posted : 05 April 2022 10:47:02

goddo wrote:
Morning Tom,
I really don't know where you find the energy or the time to work on the house and at the same time, get so much done on the Victory and to such a high standard.
If you have a few moments, my gutters need cleaning out.........BigGrin BigGrin
Chris

Hahahaha Good one Chris, to be fair I had to clean my gutters before I put polycarb roof on. It was something to see, ladder on top of the roof structure. H&S would get a heart attack seeing this Flapper

In regards to finding the spare time it's not that hard. I usually work on my Victory no longer than 2 hrs at time managing to get some things done. Let's say one day I would twist the ropes, next day I cut them to size and give them little coating of diluted pva before serving. Following day I will do the serving which is quite fast process. And then attach stuff to the mast following day... You can see planning is everything ;)

Have a great one
Tom
Gibbo
#356 Posted : 05 April 2022 20:49:46

Looking superb Tom, keep it coming mate.
richard.l
#357 Posted : 09 April 2022 08:07:28

Incredible Tom hats off to you sir, your work rate is outstanding, the photos are great nice close ups and that detail is amazing.
tom.ganc
#358 Posted : 12 April 2022 15:29:32

Thanks for that.
Every time I start doing something I find new challenges and things that could be improved. I definitely want to try bigger scale next time ;)

I will be doing proper photo shoot with tons of close ups and great quality photos as soon as I finish my garden project. It's been busy doing this weekends when weather was usable but I'm happy with the results. It's going to be great place for the Victory photo shoot.

Last stage is composite decking that will be arriving at the end of this month hopefully.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Really pleased with the result so far :)

Stay tuned for more Victory photos as I'm going to rig the main top mast this week.

Regards
Tom
goddo
#359 Posted : 12 April 2022 17:46:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Tom, you are a man of many talents.
And you STILL manage to turn out first class work on the Victory build.
Hats off to you, sir.
Chris
tom.ganc
#360 Posted : 13 April 2022 10:34:11

Thanks Chris

I can't wait to finish all the additional work and to dive into my Victory build properly. She is taking shape nicely.
I hope your build goes smoothly and I can's wait to see some updates too.

P.S.
Next stage of my outside the Victory work is sorting out my workshop. I've got a brick shed that I will be adapting to keep all my modeling stuff. Of course when build gets to the fine details stage it will be all done in the house :)
Just to give me a little space for next ones to come ;)

Regards
Tom