Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<34567>»
Tom Options
MWG
#81 Posted : 16 May 2011 08:16:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Tom,
What did you use to do the caulking? it looks very effective.

MWG
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Tomick
#82 Posted : 16 May 2011 09:38:04

Groups:

Mike Turpin wrote:
tom.ganc wrote:
Mike Turpin wrote:
Hi Tom

Can you explain the rope going from cannon to cannon on one side of your model? It's like nothing I have seen before!

Mike T

Hi Mike

The rope going trough canons is called "messenger cable". According to DeAgostini in Issue 48 page 6 it is described as double breeching.

Quote from Issue48 page6

"...Below left, a more secure method was double breeching. As well as lashing the barrel and tightening the breech rope, the gun is secured to a heavy "messenger cable" running all the way along the row of guns on the deck..."

I hope it helped :)

I have studied many references to 18C/19C war ships but I have never come across any reference to a messenger cable run through the row of guns. In heavy weather, the guns were stowed with extra breeching cables on each gun to keep it close to the sides of the ship, an arrangement I believe was known as double breeching but frankly I don't see how a long rope would prevent individual cannons moving. If the only reference is DeAgostini's build notes, I would want to know where they got their information from!!Confused Confused

I'm always prepared to learn something new!

Mellow Mellow

Mike T

I have copied below the text from the magazine within the section titled 'Ships of the line', which in this instance talks about housing the guns...

For most of the time, except when the crew were at gunnery practice or the ship was about to go into action, the guns remained securely housed.

The guns on the upper decks were commonly secured in the run-out position. The barrel was set level, the side tackles and breech rope were pulled up tight and any surplus was lashed out of the way. Muzzle plugs known as 'tompions' were fitted to keep the bore dry.

On the lower decks, the guns were normally housed inboard, so that the captain could keep the gum ports closed. The guns' rear (training or traversing tackles) were removed, and the side (outhaul) tackles were pulled tight, so that the gun was hauled up against the bulwarks with the barrel raised to its maximum elevation, by removing the quoin from under the breech. This lifted the muzzle by about 40 degrees, to the point where it rested against the ships planking, on the 'clamp' above the gun port and just below the deckhead above. The barrel was held in this position by lashing the muzzle to the eyes of 'housing bolts' in the ships side. it was further secured by using the ends of the side tackles to make tight 'frapping turns' lashing the two sides of the breech rope together forward of the carriage. As a heavy breech rope contained enough slack for the gun to be run in to the ship, the rope was pulled up tight and the excess was made into a tight loop.

A more secure way of housing the guns known as double breeching. This helped to relieve the pressure on the ship's side by fastening the rear of each gun to a heavy cable running from the bows to the stern. The spare messenger (a heavy cable used to raise the anchors) was run from the stern bulkhead to the heel of the bowsprit, and fastened tot he cascabel at the rear of the barrel of each gun. It was hauled tight, after which the guns' tackles were strained between the quarter bolts at the sides of the gun ports and strops were passed around the messenger cable on each side of the carriage.
Tomick attached the following image(s):
Messenger rope.JPG
Mike Turpin
#83 Posted : 16 May 2011 10:16:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Thanks for that reply Tomick. It makes more sense with the diagram showing the gun tackle taking up the tension in the messenger cable.

Just haven't seen that method illustrated before.

We live and learn!

Mike T
tom.ganc
#84 Posted : 16 May 2011 10:41:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

MWG wrote:
Hi Tom,
What did you use to do the caulking? it looks very effective.

MWG

Hi

I've done caulking using parker pen of the edges of deck planks. Standart method. Bear in mind that I'm using 3mm planks.

Cheers
farrabass
#85 Posted : 16 May 2011 14:53:06

Groups:

Your a very patient man Tom.
I do like the look of what youv'e done though, how much of it will be seen once the deck above is in place and the ships boats are located in position?
Still damn fine workBigGrin
Steve..
tom.ganc
#86 Posted : 16 May 2011 20:26:22

farrabass wrote:
I do like the look of what youv'e done though, how much of it will be seen once the deck above is in place and the ships boats are located in position?
Steve..

You are right. But it is all about the fun. On the other side I've got more expierience with handling tiny bits. Doing the top deck I will get even better results. BigGrin

I'm glad you like it Cool
farrabass
#87 Posted : 17 May 2011 01:09:23

Groups:

tom.ganc wrote:
farrabass wrote:
Steve..

You are right. But it is all about the fun. On the other side I've got more expierience with handling tiny bits. Doing the top deck I will get even better results. BigGrin

I'm glad you like it Cool

EXACTLY!!
In my opinion this is the whole point of the hobby. You are happy with the way your build is going (and so you should be) and that is all that matters. If a rope or a plank or a block isn't quite historicaly correct who gives a tinkers cuss!.
I have learned so much from others peoples builds, that I find the thought of not having a forum to fall back on for advice and guidance bewildering. If this ship building lark isn't classed as a class A addictive past-time I don't no what is.
As well as the brilliant build examples shown on your diary,and other members contributions this build/partwork would be impossible for the first timer/ never made a wooden ship builder.

I know I would be. The only way I started with the ship building bug is that I saw an advert for the Build a Lancaster partwork, of which I thought good idea!
After recieving the first part after 3/4 days after confirming my interest no more parts were forthcoming for over eight weeks at which point I made enquiries as to why no more parts had been recieved, at which a telephone enquiry was made, the rather disinterested response from the person I was speaking to put me off that partwork forthwith.

That then set me off on a mission to find something else not made of plastic to have a go at, hence, I end up with a large scale wooden model of the worlds most famous Ship of the line (Battleship).
Anyhoo after that little rant Thumbs up Tom for your excellent build diary, and YES..
Cheers Steve...
tom.ganc
#88 Posted : 26 May 2011 23:38:44

Hi there

Just picked up Issue 60 from newsagents today. I'm officially half way trough (at least looking at the magazines :) )

I'm working on top deck at the moment and I should have some build update soon.
So far I'm celebrating build progress :)

CHEERS SHIPMATES!!!!
tom.ganc
#89 Posted : 07 June 2011 01:04:18

Hi again.
Quick update on my build. I'm working on poop deck at the moment. I managed to put skid beams across main deck opening and finish centre section.
I hope to get quite alot done this week so stay tuned in for more update.

MWG
#90 Posted : 07 June 2011 01:29:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really nice build Tom
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

willz
#91 Posted : 07 June 2011 03:15:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Absolutely outstanding
Willz
Lonestar Spirit
#92 Posted : 07 June 2011 10:12:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

The Admiralty would be proud mate BigGrin Well done!!!
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
jonny7england
#93 Posted : 07 June 2011 10:31:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I like it...I like it...sterling stuff Tom...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
tom.ganc
#94 Posted : 07 June 2011 10:37:08

Thanks guys BigGrin
tom.ganc
#95 Posted : 19 June 2011 22:48:37

Hi again

Time goes by and out ships are getting more beautifull BigGrin
I again managed to get some work done. I'm pretty much up to speed with official build so great.
Last thing I've done is completed main mast.
Well, just have a look yourself.
I hope you like it because I LOVE IT Love Love Love

BigGrin
Lonestar Spirit
#96 Posted : 19 June 2011 23:04:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Bloody lovely mate, cracking build, thanks for sharing it with us!
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
MWG
#97 Posted : 19 June 2011 23:19:15

ThumpUp OUTSTANDING!! Tom

farrabass
#98 Posted : 20 June 2011 10:37:26

Groups:

Excellent work Tom!
The black looks really good against the decking. The ship is now really taking shape, half way there now.
Cheers Steve..
jonny7england
#99 Posted : 20 June 2011 10:45:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fantastic build there Tom...really like it mate...ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
magpie1832
#100 Posted : 20 June 2011 11:05:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tom,

Your always on my build praising my build, But its yours that's Amazing mate it looks awesome.Drool Keep up the hard work its paying off now.

Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.