Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Gun Port Thread Options
BoatBetty
#1 Posted : 02 February 2021 11:54:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all

Really boring question coming up but what thickness thread have people used in stage 82 for the gun port lids? I have the bit of thread that came with that stage but to be honest it looks very thin for the 1mm holes that have been drilled to receive it...

Also, I got very muddled with some of my threads in the stages and so, knowing my luck, I could probably have already used the thread that was supposed to be kept for the port lids!!

Anyway, as long as my ship looks like the Victory when it is finished I will be pleased - it's my first build so I think a couple of errors are allowed!

Thanks in advance.
Garth
#2 Posted : 03 February 2021 09:42:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hi,

As far as I recall, it was the thin tan thread. I saved all the off-cuts from the Lanyards for this. It helped enormously to stiffen the thread with white glue as in the instructions.

I found that I had more than enough thread left over once I had finished the model.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.