Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Is 3D printing so scary Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 11 February 2021 22:13:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

So is 3D printing so scary.Confused

Well to a self confessed Techno-Fobe like myself the answer is YES. Blushing

Or should I say WAS until recently. Blink

Before anyone asks, no I have not learnt to 3D print overnight.

I built the IDBOX by Deag some while ago now and it went through all the test stages and worked through all of them.

So what have I printed to date. NOTHING as I couldn`t get my head around the design stages needed to make what I wanted. So what`s changed?

My friend Mark Warren (FST) pointed me in the right direction when I asked if he could design and print a simple tool I needed, for changing seals on a beer barrel valve.(By the way it works a treat).

The light bulb moment as far as my design skills are concerned came when I looked into the 3D design programme by "Tinkercad". They have on site lessons in how to 3D design and its FREE.Tinkercad 3D design

I have not got as far as printing yet, but the basic design process I now have sorted, (nothing technical yet).

So my first design after a few hours schooling on Tinkercad is a specific use spanner for tightening the afore mentioned valve to the barrel lid. (See attached pic).

Now a question: We have an electronics section to help people who don`t understand the subject, any thoughts on a 3D printing section along the same lines?

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
3.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#2 Posted : 11 February 2021 23:01:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great idea Derek. Cool There is an awful lot I still need to learn, but my Thermal detonator build has is spured me on to do other projects. I am about to start the Nautilus build with full electronics and detailed interior. I am already thinking of replacing parts with printed ones.

Mark
skyfire
#3 Posted : 12 February 2021 08:16:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I built the 3d printer by Eaglemoss and have yet to actually do anything with it. Totally agree a section on 3d printing would be great. :)
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 22 February 2021 21:03:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Well, here`s a little update on my quest of 3D printing. BigGrin

Now I wouldn`t say I`ve mastered anything yet, but I`m making progress from knowing nothing about 3D design and getting my IDbox from Modelspace making its first print. Yep only a cube, but that`s progress from nothing.Blink Blink.

So, here`s the progress report:

Started making basic shapes on "Tinkercad"

Pic 1: A spanner for an application specific for a need of my own.

Then decided that something a little more complex was needed in the form of a drill stand for thirteen drills that once out of their packing ended up rolling around in a drawer. To that end I moved onto "Fusion 360" which is a more refined design programme with more functions.

Pic 2: Drill stand for 13 drills with hexagonal end fixings.

Today I started to attempt to print something. Designed a basic cube shape.

20mm by 20mm base with a height of 15mm just to be different.LOL LOL

Now it did print, but I think the settings need some adjustment (working on that) as the shape grew taller it reduced in size by 1mm in the last 10mm of height. Cursing Cursing Cursing

I think its the support structure that needs changing, any advice would be gratefully accepted. Cool

Pic 3: The first print off my IDbox after numerous years. Blushing Blushing

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
3.jpg
Drill Stand v10.jpg
20210222_164317.jpg

semaj
#5 Posted : 22 February 2021 23:15:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If your on Facebook there are many groups dedicated to 3d printing and things with lots of super helpful and very knowledgeable people that help amd support people. From helping diagnose printer problems, to help with print settings and more. Worth looking for some and joining a few if you have access to the platform. Could take a bit of trial and error before you find groups your happy in though.

Great idea for a forum here to chat about it though, as 3d printing is really beginning to become more common place, especially in the world of modelling as they are so versatile in what can be done and they can be picked up relatively cheap nowadays - heck even amazon sells its own brand of pla filament.

I've been toying buying a printer myself for a few years now, just can't decide weather to get a large format fdm printer such as a creality cr10 or an ender 3 etc, or dive into the world of high quality resin printers which need extra equipment for curing and washing the prints.... dont know if I'm ready for another money pit just yet haha
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 23 February 2021 11:08:30

semaj wrote:
If your on Facebook there are many groups dedicated to 3d printing and things with lots of super helpful and very knowledgeable people that help amd support people. From helping diagnose printer problems, to help with print settings and more. Worth looking for some and joining a few if you have access to the platform. Could take a bit of trial and error before you find groups your happy in though.

Great idea for a forum here to chat about it though, as 3d printing is really beginning to become more common place, especially in the world of modelling as they are so versatile in what can be done and they can be picked up relatively cheap nowadays - heck even amazon sells its own brand of pla filament.

I've been toying buying a printer myself for a few years now, just can't decide weather to get a large format fdm printer such as a creality cr10 or an ender 3 etc, or dive into the world of high quality resin printers which need extra equipment for curing and washing the prints.... dont know if I'm ready for another money pit just yet haha

Thanks for your input. Cool

I`m a bit old school and Facebook and the like are not my scene, but I guess I`m just gonna have to bite the bullet one day.

The other thing is that the Modelspace printer is now old tech. I started building mine in April 2015 so the Tech has made great advancements in 6 years and the price to buy one has plummeted.

My plan is to see how much use I get out of this machine, (now I`ve got it working) and then make a decision as to whether I invest in a newer model.

I think a section for 3D printing would be good, because its a bit of a mystery to a lot of people and as I`ve found out very recently "It doesn`t need to be".

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

semaj
#7 Posted : 23 February 2021 23:12:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

There's really nothing wrong with Facebook if your in the right groups you want to be in. Social media now a days is so much faster and you can reach a wealth of knowledge so much quicker. There are a lot of bad uns on there too, you just need to filter them out and ignore the junk your not Interested in. I'm in a few creality specific groups and the wealth of knowledge they have is unreal.

Even though the MS printer may be old tech, it still runs in exactly the same way as some of the more modern printers, and pretty much everyone uses Fusion 360 and tinkercad etc. There's also loads of websites such as thingiverse.com and stlfinder.com which have hundreds or thousands of things other people have designed. Some are free some you have to pay a small fee for (some people want a few pennies for their designs due to the time involved). Designing things is a skill in its own right let alone getting your printer dialled in etc.

Totally agree a section for people to chat here would be great.
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 24 February 2021 21:27:05

Well I`ve spent half the day changing the settings on my IDBOX and cannot get anywhere near the quality of print that Mark (FST) got for the same item.

So I`ve bitten the bullet and invested in a "Creality CR-6 SE". Blink Blink Delivery is due by Tuesday next week. Will update later.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

CaptnBirdseye
#9 Posted : 24 February 2021 22:21:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin WTG Del, I’m sure you’ll have fun with it ThumpUp
Sneaky Does that mean the iDbox will be going on EbayLOL Laugh LOL
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 24 February 2021 22:33:28

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
BigGrin WTG Del, I’m sure you’ll have fun with it ThumpUp
Sneaky Does that mean the iDbox will be going on EbayLOL Laugh LOL

I intend to have lots of fun.

Now ebay`s a fine thought. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

semaj
#11 Posted : 24 February 2021 23:45:30

delboy271155 wrote:
Well I`ve spent half the day changing the settings on my IDBOX and cannot get anywhere near the quality of print that Mark (FST) got for the same item.

So I`ve bitten the bullet and invested in a "Creality CR-6 SE". Blink Blink Delivery is due by Tuesday next week. Will update later.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Sounds awesome!!!! Have fun, keep us all updated how you get on with things! I look forward to following your progression with this!

If I had somewhere to put one I'd also bite the bullet and get one. Sadly I don't think the garage is suitable. Maybe once we move house to somewhere more ideal I'll go for it. Fingers crossed we find somewhere this year
Building:
Complete:
darbyvet
#12 Posted : 25 February 2021 01:30:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

the creality printers are awesome.

Carl

Markwarren
#13 Posted : 25 February 2021 09:16:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You won’t be disappointed Derek. As you know I am also a newbie in this as well, but I have learnt a lot in the last couple of months and it it not as scary or difficult as you think. It is easier to master once you have the printer, it is just taking that leap to do it.

Mark
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 25 February 2021 19:34:25

Thanks for the support and comments guys most appreciated. BigGrin BigGrin

Not one to give up too easily, today I tried a print on the IDBOX of a larger item, the drill stand I designed on "Fusion 360".

Now this was a basic print without raft or brim so I expected an issue or two, but it will give me something to work on when the new printer arrives.

Pic 1: shows the finished print still on the print bed.

Pic 2: shows the underside of the print. Blink Without a heated bed and no raft/brim its not flat, but for a one off print it could easily be sanded flat.

Pic 3: shows the finished print. Not bad for what its meant to do except, when I designed the print I gave it exact dimensions. The drill bits would have fitted perfectly had I made the hexagonal holes 0.1mm larger. I now know for next time.LOL LOL LOL

In preparation for the new printer, I`m going to design something with just one hexagonal hole to check out the sizing.

Until then, STAY SAFE. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Stand 1.jpg
Stand 2.jpg
Stand 3.jpg

darbyvet
#15 Posted : 25 February 2021 19:45:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

There is always an issue with tolerance with 3d parts.if you make 2 parts that are supposed to fit together maybe with a alignment peg like in a plastic model you would think that would be easy.However, when you design the pars in your CAd software they fit fine, but when you print the parts they dont fit.There are several reasons for that.Firstly,especially with FDM printers you may get some oozing of plastic into the hole. Secondly as each layers prints you may get misalignment of the layers so the hole is not perfectly formed.Finally there is the issue of tolerance. When you look at the parts in your CAd they slot together
perfectly, but in real life there needs to be a slight gap between the 2 parts for them to join together.So if you are designing parts you need to allow some tolerance.Either you can make the peg a bit smaller than the hole in my example or the hole a bit bigger than the peg for them to fit together.how much of a gap you need varies from part to part and sometimes it is a bit of trial and error.

Carl

delboy271155
#16 Posted : 25 February 2021 19:48:25

Thanks Carl,BigGrin

Appreciate you`re input.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#17 Posted : 01 March 2021 23:00:25

Well my new printer arrived a day early, but I`m not complaining. LOL

A little confused as I received an email from UPS at 11:42 today saying delivery tomorrow and the tracking said item still at Tamworth after 3 days, then at midday a knock on the door and there was my printer.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

So after some faffing around, uploading more up to date software I managed to get the first print.

Below I`ve attached two pics:

1: The new printer

2: Old and new print of the top of the same item. Old pic on the left, you can see the errors over the new print on the right.

I don`t think that all the errors are down to the IDbox. Possibly settings, quality of filament supplied and/or both plus me at the controls.LOL

Anyway I`m a happy bunny.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Printer.jpg
Print Difference.jpg

CaptnBirdseye
#18 Posted : 01 March 2021 23:11:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Razz Are those skittles you’re printing LOL BigGrin LOL
That new printer looks a right weapon.
delboy271155
#19 Posted : 01 March 2021 23:19:09

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Razz Are those skittles you’re printing LOL BigGrin LOL
That new printer looks a right weapon.

No, not skittles LOL . Just a small 6cm high little tool for replacing seals on a valve. Without the tool I managed to get two in place out of eight (six split).

More projects in the pipeline. Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Markwarren
#20 Posted : 01 March 2021 23:27:17

Very nice Derek. Love Love . It is a great little printer, I’m extremely pleased with my purchase as you know.
BTW. just printed a crystal ball.BigGrin I see great thinks from you.LOL LOL LOL

Mark