Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Mark's Car SOS Diorama Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 14 February 2021 19:04:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

So here is my next project. I didn’t fancy anything too big just yet. My Nautilus build will wait until the summer as a lot of work will need to be done outside and, in my garage, when the weather is warmer. Anyway, on to this build. This will be a car diorama. I am keeping things close to my chest as to what is being done, all will be slowly revealed as the build comes together.
As you can see, the first car is a Triumph Herald 12/50. I know this is an incredibly old kit and having dealt with the TR4a over a year ago, I’m not surprised how these kits will need a lot of nurturing to put it all together. It does say on the box it is a level 1 kit, so I should be okay with it.Flapper

A lot of sanding was done to take out the seams. I also used very course grit sanding stick on the carpet area to give it more texture as well as round off the rear wheel arches. As you can see, the interior is very worn and dilapidated.

Thanks for looking, more very soon.

Mark
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 14 February 2021 19:54:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well, mixed thoughts here.Confused Confused

The box artwork doesn`t look like any Triumph Herald I remember, but when I saw the last pic the memories came flooding back.LOL LOL Flapper LOL LOL

Still waiting for:

Rusty headlight surrounds
Rusty wheel arches
Rusty door sills
Rusty bonnet locks and
Rusty chassis rails

Did I mention that there may be a bit of rust in places.LOL LOL LOL

Interior looks FAB. Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#3 Posted : 15 February 2021 00:31:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is going to be fun to watch come together Mark, be interesting to see what you reveal as the build progresses. Am sure you'll have a lot of fun with it...Cool Cool Cool .. Good luck with the build....

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 15 February 2021 01:42:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

ooh another silk purse out of a sows ear. I think I know where you are going with this but I will keep my guesses to myself.

Carl

Markwarren
#5 Posted : 15 February 2021 08:59:28

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thank your Derek, Alan and Carl.
Yes Derek, there I’d plenty of rust coming.

Mark
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 15 February 2021 10:47:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Off to a great start here.
Funnily enough, I nearly bought one of these cars donkeys years ago - a kind of primrose yellow. It was a heap and my intention was to restore it.
In the end I bought a scruffy MGB and did that one instead.

I'll be following along on this one.BigGrin
Kev the Modeller
#7 Posted : 15 February 2021 13:59:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Sounds like an interesting project Mark and if your recent Triumph TR4 build is anything to go by, I just know that this will be a good 'un. Already impressed with the effect you've created on the perished upholstery, that really looks just like ripped fabric with the underlying foam showing through - well done!

Will definitely be following and commenting on your diary Mark. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 15 February 2021 20:47:58

Thank you very much Roy and Kev. There will be a lot of scratch building with these cars.

Mark
tf64
#9 Posted : 15 February 2021 23:20:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mark,

Remember this one Mark it was so easy to work on, as all the front section lifts up and goes forward, this will be good to watch you progress and well done with the seats very original.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 16 February 2021 09:14:55

Thank you Trev. Yes, they were very easy to work on, but because the whole front lifted up there was nothing to stop all the dirt and grime from getting in there too. That’s why they rotted so quick.BigGrin

Mark
RM1
#11 Posted : 16 February 2021 13:04:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A nice project Mark. I remember my dad having one of these Heralds. It was a darkish red and white. I learnt to drive in it BigGrin. Keen to watch the progress of the Diorama.
Malc.
Kev the Modeller
#12 Posted : 18 February 2021 15:47:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking forward to the next update already Mark! Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 18 February 2021 23:53:04

Thank you Malc, looks like a few parents had one of these cars in their time.
Thank you Kev, here is a small update until the weekend when I am not working and have more time.

This is a small update. I have been sanding and filing all the parts to get rid of those seam lines, I think this is worse than the TR4a. The prepping for the body shell has been done ready to pit it and make holes for the rust areas. I have also sanded off the printed on windscreen wipers as these were not the right size and looked hideous. I will also have to make the inner door panel as this kit is so basic it doesn’t provide any. This is the first of two of these cars I am building and this one has a skylight roof fitted. After carefully measuring and downloading reference pictures, I have made the inner chrome roof frame. I made a template to cut the roof as shown and the final pictures are the sunroof frame dry fitted. The second car will have a full working sunroof.
You can probably see where I am going with this.BigGrin

More soon
Mark
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
roymattblack
#14 Posted : 19 February 2021 01:11:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Sorry - that's just crazy!
Absolutely the 'next level'.
Superb work on this little ancient kit. Keep it coming.Love
Markwarren
#15 Posted : 19 February 2021 22:48:53

Many thanks Roy. Hopefully have some time this weekend to get stuck into this project, especially now the weather looks rubbish.

Mark
tf64
#16 Posted : 20 February 2021 16:19:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to your next post Mark.

regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Gandale
#17 Posted : 21 February 2021 01:10:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Mark, leaving things in their basic form just doesn't compute in your head.....LOL LOL LOL .. Your mods on this are just fabulous.....Drool Drool Drool .. Look forward to seeing where you take this next.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#18 Posted : 21 February 2021 18:37:27

tf64 wrote:

Looking forward to your next post Mark.

regards

Trev.

Thank you Trev. Next installment is hereBigGrin
Markwarren
#19 Posted : 21 February 2021 18:38:10

Gandale wrote:
Mark, leaving things in their basic form just doesn't compute in your head.....LOL LOL LOL .. Your mods on this are just fabulous.....Drool Drool Drool .. Look forward to seeing where you take this next.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan
Just like to be different.LOL

Mark
Markwarren
#20 Posted : 21 February 2021 18:39:30

The car body has now been pitted and primed. Gave it the first rust undercoat, just drying, so pictures on next update. I have rusted the underside and started with the worn-out engine. A lot more to be done to this, pipes, wires etc.
Doesn’t look much but that has taken me a couple of days, and as it is so small some parts met the carpet monster.Cursing Fortunately, I managed to retrieve them.BigGrin

More soon

Mark
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg