Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Medric Options
Medric
#1 Posted : 15 February 2021 00:56:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Still learning the ins and outs of this forum but I got one picture to go. I have all of the first pack built except the culverin and cannon. Some light sanding left to do to get all that laser scorch off. Second pack arrives this week and more keel work.
Medric attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 15 February 2021 08:57:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start.Love I’m sure it won’t take long to get the hang of the build log. Looking forward to your next instalment.

Mark
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 15 February 2021 12:00:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Medric

Good to see you have started a diary. BigGrin

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for getting it started.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tf64
#4 Posted : 15 February 2021 23:24:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Medric,

Welcome to the forum, it's good on this one, all the help you need is here.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Medric
#5 Posted : 16 February 2021 21:02:51

[img]
tf64 wrote:
Hi Medric,

Welcome to the forum, it's good on this one, all the help you need is here.

Regards

Trev

Thank you. I'm quite sure that the time for some help is rapidly approaching. I received the second pack today. Two culverins were enclosed. The plastic bag holding them had a small tear in it and one of the brackets was missing. A careful search found it loose in the main cardboard box. If you have this problem keep looking. I cut out the shipyard pieces right away and dry fit them together. The tabs on the two end pieces fit very tightly. Looks good and I'm excited to get back to work. I don't think I'll glue up the shipyard pieces until I receive the rest of it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#6 Posted : 16 February 2021 21:39:45

As I look at the wooden cannon frame I think I see two wheels that are ever so slightly smaller. The front wheels obviously. The anchor is real metal. I'm wondering what type and color of paint to use to replicate old iron. That little scraper for the keel makes me think I had best make a a few practice runs on scrap to get a proper feel for it. The very intricate pieces of the second step of the keel are held fast at only three or four points. That's a relief ! I would kill myself if I broke one.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#7 Posted : 16 February 2021 21:43:25

Still figuring out the pictures. Sorry.
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 16 February 2021 22:37:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Medric, BigGrin

Firstly your pics are fine.Cool

Sometimes the forum fails to actually show the pic, but gives the picture name and says it`s attached. If you see this then refresh the page (may be a couple or so times) and the pics will show. So just keep doing what you are doing with the pics. I`ve viewed them all.Cool

Now a piece of advice:

When you are building a kit of this nature, read the instructions 2-3 times before you touch anything and read them again when you are putting things together.

Now, the main canon parts where you describe the wheels are of different sizes front and back. you are correct but the wrong way round. Take a look at the pack 1 instructions, Phase 7.

At the very beginning you will see the cut-sheet for the canon with all the parts numbered. Wheels 7 + 8 are the larger ones, with 9 + 10 the smaller. Scroll down 2 pages to where the wheels are fixed and it tells you large /front, small/rear.

Its an easy mistake to make and there`s a lot of people who have made very similar mistakes in the past, just maybe won`t admit it. I know I have.

It would be a very rare occasion when the instructions don`t give the full details of where everything goes and which way round.

I understand how eager you are to crack on building this great looking kit, but take a little time to associate yourself with all the parts as it takes longer to dismantle an error and fix than to check the instructions.

Don`t get disheartened just take a little more time and if you are unsure of anything ask first. Lots of people here to assist.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Medric
#9 Posted : 16 February 2021 23:31:54

Thank you Derek. Your advice is spot on. I do read instructions several times and also fit parts and compare them several times. I have built models before and found that sometimes I did something and there was no going backwards. But thanks for that alert on the cannon wheels. Sometimes I get an idea in my head and never get past it because something just will not budge. Would you believe that I have already had one dream about this kit ? I wish I could see a year into the future and see what happens but I will enjoy the process and soldier on. Again, thank you.
Theodore Roosevelt
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 16 February 2021 23:37:50

You are very welcome.BigGrin BigGrin

I find from my own personnel view, that sometimes I look but don`t see.

Crack on and enjoy the experience of the "Bounty".

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

tf64
#11 Posted : 16 February 2021 23:58:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Medric, you were asking about what paint to replicate old iron try Tamiya Gun Metal x10.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Medric
#12 Posted : 21 February 2021 22:35:27

Thank you Trev for the tip on the paint. The instructions call for Gunmetal but that seems a vague term. I am not looking to weather with barnacles and rust but I do want it to look like period iron. There was another post somewhere on this forum where someone painted a cannon and he was critiqued on the thickness of his paint. I do want to avoid that look.
Anyroad, on to this weeks work. I've begun work on scraping the dovetail into the lower keel. As the instructions call for I have a deep groove. I found a nice spot in the house with bright afternoon sunshine streaming in. This gave me a clear view of my work. I worked the scraper until I could no longer see daylight between the wood and the scraper. One thing is troubling. Look at that spot with no groove between the lower keel and the stern piece. Will that be trouble at some point further ?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#13 Posted : 21 February 2021 22:42:24

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#14 Posted : 21 February 2021 22:44:13

image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#15 Posted : 21 February 2021 22:45:59

For crying out loud ! The great poster that I am .
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
delboy271155
#16 Posted : 22 February 2021 11:59:19

Hi Medric BigGrin

Looking at your picture in post #15 and the instructions for pack 2, I think the two grooves should join up as its where the plank ends and edges would rebate into the keel and stern plate. I don`t think you will be able to use the scraper to continue the groove in the keel, so maybe a sharp knife or file maybe the answer.

Also, I don`t think it will cause a problem later on as this model won`t be planked and that`s all the groove is there for to depict how the planks would be joined to the keel and stern plate.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

tf64
#17 Posted : 22 February 2021 12:03:37

hi Medric,

Looking good keep posting.

Regards

Trev

Medric
#18 Posted : 13 March 2021 20:45:28

Received HMS Bounty pack three this week. Shipyard is complete. Now it's time for serious modeling to begin in earnest . I have frame members to build and miter as well as the starboard hawse piece. I had all the templates printed out and now I will read, re read and read again the instructions while casting off with great caution. I am glad I did not glue the shipyard parts in last months pack. Just a bit fiddlly getting all in alignment with pack three but once you have it all it becomes apparent.
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
Silent_Running
#19 Posted : 13 March 2021 21:52:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Hi Medric,

I’m loving what you achieved so far, she’s coming along already. It’s a great build diary you’re making. The quality of the wood and joints are just next level it’s fantastic. I’m going to follow for sure, it’s a ship that would make Fletcher Christian proud Drool Drool Drool
Medric
#20 Posted : 14 March 2021 00:03:14

As has been noted, the wood and fit are very good. The laser cutting is truly a marvel of our time. However, in examining the parts I received with pack three I saw that one frame member was just barely on the wood. It is useable and nothing is missing but it does show how close that laser cutting is. I have also noticed a slight irregularity in the color of the wood in packs one and two on the frame members only. The keel wood color is uniform so I'm not going to complain. the difference is that the first pack looks like cedar and the second is somewhat grey. Once the entire ship is complete it will be barely noticeable .
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt