Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Medric Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 14 March 2021 01:14:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making very nice progress Medric, keep the pics coming.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#22 Posted : 14 March 2021 12:44:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice work Medric. Looking good

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Medric
#23 Posted : 16 March 2021 22:10:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is great building this kit. The picture shows two more completed ribs and the one not started is number L, which is the very first one at the bow. That begins the ribs that will be faired. The shape is more complex and the mitered shaping makes each rib a kit in itself. Also the starboard hawse piece in pack three will be challenging with its rounded shape. One would think that building all the frame members would be tedious but I find it relaxing, plus it allows me to escape to my hobby room away from the Missus. I hope that all of you have a project going that is as rewarding.
Medric attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
delboy271155
#24 Posted : 17 March 2021 23:00:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Medric, BigGrin

Looks like you are making good progress and also enjoying the journey.

Cool Cool Cool

Keep up the good work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

darbyvet
#25 Posted : 18 March 2021 01:02:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

looks great so far. I always admired the guys that built wooden ships completely from scratch and made each frame from multiple pieces.This kit allows you to copy that without all of the math and cutting involved.

Carl
Gandale
#26 Posted : 18 March 2021 23:38:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Continue as you are doing and you're going to end up with a beautiful display model to be proud of.... coming along beautifully.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Medric
#27 Posted : 18 March 2021 23:48:03

Yes Carl, that would be a Hurculean task to scratch build a wood sailing ship frame by frame. And yet it has been done ! I glued up my two forward ribs and the starboard hawse piece. I'm looking forward eagerly to shaping those pieces. The two front frame members don't fit fully into position in the shipyard before they are mitered. Looking closely you can see the angle of the bow cut into the shipyard. This will be a good way to check myself. The templates didn't come out an exact 100% size match to the parts. There is a small discrepancy. I had them printed at an office supply store and you don't get to specify a certain size. I suppose it is assumed that things are a 1:1 match. No problem. I believe I can use them as a starting point and use a French curve to draw them onto the frame members. The drawings in the instructions are an excellent reference point and since the ship will not be planked ,except near the top, this step will just be a modeling of the frame shape in much the same manner as the planking dovetail in the keel is. If someone thinks I'm wrong here, please say so. I do not want to destroy this ship or have it look bad.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#28 Posted : 18 March 2021 23:54:15

Completed Hawse piece.
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
tenderfoot
#29 Posted : 27 March 2021 02:22:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Looking great Medric!

You have reached the stage that I found to be the most challenging so far in this build. It wasn't until after I had shaped the starboard hawse that I read forward in the instructions and found that it married up with Rib L. Sadly, I had already shaped Rib L. When I put the two together, of course they didn't match...they were close...but no match. I wasn't sure if my hawse was off or the rib was off. For the port side I would check it against Rib L as I went along sanding it...that worked much better for me. Thankfully, a bit of artistic license and some sanding and I was able to bring the starboard side into shape with the rib.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
CaptnBirdseye
#30 Posted : 27 March 2021 12:15:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Fantastic build Medric, and a pleasure to watch this come together.
Interesting that you need to fair the ribs to install into the jig, but logical i suppose.

Keep up the good work ThumpUp

Regards
Gray
Kev the Modeller
#31 Posted : 27 March 2021 12:21:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work so far Medric, early stages I know but looking really good and very neat and tidy too.

Very well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Medric
#32 Posted : 27 March 2021 18:08:24

tenderfoot wrote:
Looking great Medric!

You have reached the stage that I found to be the most challenging so far in this build. It wasn't until after I had shaped the starboard hawse that I read forward in the instructions and found that it married up with Rib L. Sadly, I had already shaped Rib L. When I put the two together, of course they didn't match...they were close...but no match. I wasn't sure if my hawse was off or the rib was off. For the port side I would check it against Rib L as I went along sanding it...that worked much better for me. Thankfully, a bit of artistic license and some sanding and I was able to bring the starboard side into shape with the rib.

Yes, I noticed that too. I'm not going to shape any more ribs for a little while. Fortunately I will be able to match up the starboard hawse piece with rib L because I saw that and stopped myself before I got too carried away sanding. I think I see something else too. I think a guy should start fairing the ribs at the furthest point back with the ones going forward and here's why. You would then be able to use a very short pencil and transfer your fairing angle forward on the interior fairing. I'm still thinking about this. This is a critical step and it would be very easy to ruin things at this point. I think I might even have gotten a bit over zealous with the shaping of rib I. I am going to use the die cut piece the original parts were taken from and use it as a pattern to make new parts and re-do this rib. Should be easy with a jewelers saw. I advise anyone at this point in the build to take a deep breath and be very sure of what you are doing.
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#33 Posted : 27 March 2021 18:24:18

This is what is going on. Look at the notch in the rib. That is where the keel will fit. The inside of the hawse piece matches to that and the hawse piece matches up with the frame member. Tricky but not too difficult if you aren't hurrying. Measure twice and cut once as they say.
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
Medric
#34 Posted : 27 March 2021 18:26:26

Slow and steady wins the race. I keep checking back and forth and cast a hairy eyeball on things. Hawse piece NOT entirely shaped and finished in this picture. I was wondering about the difficulty of shaping the inside but a small piece of sandpaper on the end of my thumb is working great. Slow but I don't want to get reckless with a power tool.
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
tenderfoot
#35 Posted : 28 March 2021 02:42:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Definitely takes a lot of patience to sand down the hawse. I took a dremel with a small fine-grit sanding drum to the thing to get it about 75% of the way there. Then worked it by hand from that point. Of course, this is coming from the guy that botched the starboard side. But come on, it is nice to get power tools involved when one can BigGrin

And yes, "measure twice, cut once"...the old adage that I repeat to myself every time I toss a piece of wood in the bin - so just about daily.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out, Medric. Your work has looked stellar so can't imagine this would turn out any different.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Medric
#36 Posted : 28 March 2021 21:48:27

Thank you Tenderfoot. I appreciate the compliment but there are imperfections that, even though they won't show, will bother me. Just like you said in your build diary. You will know they are there. After seeing the good close up
pictures of your forward ribs I am definitely going to cut out and re-do frame rib "I". I do not have that crisp edge that you do. We are our own worst critics.
Theodore Roosevelt
Gandale
#37 Posted : 28 March 2021 22:58:46

Lovely work Medric, good steady progress being made.....Cool Cool .. With these types of builds there is nothing wrong with being self critical, it leads to superb models being created..... Look forward to your next update..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tenderfoot
#38 Posted : 01 April 2021 01:25:11

Quote:
With these types of builds there is nothing wrong with being self critical, it leads to superb models being created ~Gandale

"Hear, hear!" I say to you Gandale. I am really new to this hobby having only started 5 years ago and only completed two builds and 90% complete on a third. Up until recently I fretted bigly over mistakes and thought I would never measure up to the pros. Now, that may still be true, I may never be pro level, but I no longer fret. It eventually dawned on my that everyone is making mistakes, it is just that many do not show, let alone highlight their mistakes.

Several times in my own build log I had thought about how to mask a blunder with a convenient camera angle or some creative cropping. However, I never gave in to that and instead decided to let everyone know where I went wrong, why, and what I did to correct it. Hoping it helps others understand that even the most beautifully built model ship has errors and that even the most talented amongst builders makes mistakes more regularly than most would imagine. They key is to evaluate the mistake, understand the cause and consequence, and determine a path forward. For me, with all the mistakes I make, it is a nearly daily exercise.

Follow the advice of Colonel John Boyd and his OODA Loop concept and things tend to work out.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Medric
#39 Posted : 05 April 2021 20:33:39

More parts in the mail today. I'm really excited to get the port hawse piece done and work on it along with the starboard hawse piece. I left off on my sanding and shaping of the starboard hawse halfway through so I could cast the hairy eyeball on both of them simultaneously. I'm not going to fair any ribs until I get them all. Tenderfoot said that he was saving up all the cannons to do all at once and so am I. Same with the ribs. I tend to get into a rhythm and work more carefully when I'm doing the same thing. Trying to give myself every advantage so that I do justice to this fine model. This is definitely the nicest model I've ever had.
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
Gandale
#40 Posted : 06 April 2021 23:16:48

Making mistakes, correcting them is how we all learn to become better more experienced modellers. I also believe that modellers actually show their mistakes and highlight how they went about putting things right, its a good instructional method for other modellers following on behind them..... Model building is an experience with every build we put together and so far you're doing a fab job.

Tenderfoot may say he's collecting all the cannons together before starting to assemble. For some modellers that's the way they prefer to build. For me, it would drive me insane, doing the same thing over and over for hours on end would end up with things meeting the wall with a high degree of velocity. I much prefer to mix up my build sessions, adds variety and keeps my frustration levels down. Everyone does things their own way and you'll do the same....

You're doing great and look forward to seeing more as your progress.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan