Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
Medric Options
delboy271155
#41 Posted : 07 April 2021 18:57:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Keep on with what you are doing. You seem well capable of dealing with any issues that may arise and I`m enjoying watching your progress.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Medric
#42 Posted : 12 April 2021 22:25:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I received pack four last week and got into it today. Four more frame ribs. Two aft and two foreword. Now that I have frame ribs for every section of the ship it's interesting to see the hull take on its shape. It is difficult to clamp things with the curved shape of things. The parts slide on the glue as if it were grease. I just hold them together for a little while and let dry well overnight. I figure that there will be enough overlapping parts that it will hold together like a spider web in its finished form. What a beautiful thing this is. Working with wood is very pleasurable. I'm already daydreaming about another ship model only with sails, rigging and all. Having both hawse pieces to work on simultaneously will be nice. I still have to re-cut forward rib # I also. My mistake may not show in the end but it bugs me.
Medric attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
tenderfoot
#43 Posted : 19 April 2021 19:34:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Looking great, Medric! Excited to see how the hawse turns out once you get to it.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Medric
#44 Posted : 19 April 2021 22:11:57

I've wasted a whole week thinking that I could re-cut frame rib "I". It is nearly impossible to match the precision of the factory laser cutting. I'm close but no cigar. Very small imprecisions in my cutting were magnified and I ended up with a rib that was passable but nowhere near as good as the one I oversanded the fairing on. I will live with it and not be so picky. It will only show when I'm looking at it. Lesson learned. Don't blunder ahead and improvise when I should take the time to work things out according to specifications. I have my fairing template issue sorted and I will now forge ahead.
image.jpg
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
Gandale
#45 Posted : 19 April 2021 23:31:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is coming along beautifully, very well done indeed....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tenderfoot
#46 Posted : 20 April 2021 14:48:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Much better on the scroll saw than I have ever done!

I have had some success replicating bulkheads on a plank-on-bulkhead model, but those leave a lot of wiggle room for small errors in the cut. Since these are actual exposed ribs I think you are right, and going with the laser cut rib is a good option. Looking at the photo and it appears the area you are concerned with is the top-most part of the rib? Is this correct? If so, based on photos of the completed model, from the whales on up that part of the rib will be covered and not visible as you stated. May need a shim or two to make the outer planking look nice, but overall would look fine.

However, I get what you mean when you say you will know it is there. This gets me as well. Many times I have put a bit of extra work into something to fix an error that would likely never been seen by anyone and only known to me. But, just me knowing is enough to drive me to correct it. However, there are also many times when I need to convince myself that it is okay to move on and accept the mistake as character.

Whichever way you decide to go I am sure your will be fine. Your craftsmanship is stellar and the images you post show that. Keep up the excellent work! Looking forward to how it works out with this rib and what you choose to do.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Medric
#47 Posted : 20 April 2021 15:38:07

Yes, that's it. It's a mistake that only I will know about and it really bothers me. You are right that the planking will cover the mistake. I am going to go with the factory part. This is my first ever wood model and I wanted it to be perfect. I guess that perfection won't happen but that being in the "pretty good job" category will be alright. The one thing about this is that it has steeled my resolve to be more exacting from here on out. I got half of the other hawse piece glued up yesterday and I will finish it today, let it dry good and start shaping it this weekend. Build the cradle and the lifeboat yard and then wait for pack five in about another week or two. I sure hope that our readers will be motivated to run out and get this model. This is one that is very interesting to build. I've never seen anything like it.
Theodore Roosevelt
tenderfoot
#48 Posted : 20 April 2021 15:52:23

Oh yes, absolutely concur that this is a fantastic model. Because it focuses the eyes on aspects of a ship unlike typical tall ship models, it has challenged me as well. Same as you, I am taking extra efforts to make things look a perfect as possible. Really hope to see lots of build logs on this one and I recommend it for everyone...beginner to elite.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Medric
#49 Posted : 20 April 2021 22:21:26

tenderfoot wrote:
Oh yes, absolutely concur that this is a fantastic model. Because it focuses the eyes on aspects of a ship unlike typical tall ship models, it has challenged me as well. Same as you, I am taking extra efforts to make things look a perfect as possible. Really hope to see lots of build logs on this one and I recommend it for everyone...beginner to elite.

Yes ! With the right attitude anyone with basic to intermediate modeling skills should be able to pull this kit together. I've been studying and analyzing Tenderfoots build log and staring at the drawings and instructions until I'm cross eyed. There is really a lot going on here ! It looks like at least six rows of planks on this model. The only thing that concerns me is the figurehead. The super detailing and precision of the kit get let down immensely by that funny looking figurehead on the front page of the instructions.
We need two or three more guys building and logging on this model. Open up your wallets !
Theodore Roosevelt
tenderfoot
#50 Posted : 21 April 2021 00:32:00

Quote:
Tenderfoot may say he's collecting all the cannons together before starting to assemble. For some modellers that's the way they prefer to build. For me, it would drive me insane, doing the same thing over and over for hours

Absolutely agree! To each their own. I find the repetition soothing. My first advanced model was the HMS Victory available by subscription here at DeAgostini. I chose to go the route of the copper tiles. That’s about 4,000 individual tiles to apply! And I enjoyed it immensely, especially the end result. Same kind of gig with sanding wood. I find one of my most pleasureable moments and activities is sanding. It totally therapeutic for me...the smell, the feel...just awesome! However, I get it. What’s good for me is just good for me and not necessarily good for others. But, if you are visiting and reading these logs then there is some sort of enjoyment in this for you as well. I encourage everyone to seek that enjoyment and thrive on it!
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#51 Posted : 21 April 2021 00:34:58

OMG!!! Just figured out how to properly quote another post. Medric...will be sure to do this the right way going forward 🤪
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Medric
#52 Posted : 21 April 2021 22:29:27

I had to pick Tenderfoots brain a little bit on the sanding. I'm having a devil of a time getting the laser scorch marks off the sides of my ribs. After reading his advice I tried a new tack and voila ! I made myself some little sanding sticks by gluing 150 grit wet or dry sandpaper to a Popsicle stick. I am going to use those to sand the fairing on my ribs but I had an idea. I had an epiphany and noticed that the wood grain goes different directions on the individual rib parts. Using my homemade sanding stick I rubbed at the scorch WITH the grain. Came right off with very little effort. A little follow up with a 220 then 400 grit sanding sponge gave me the elusive results I wanted. What an imbecile I was to not take the grain direction into account. Oh well, live and learn, at least I left it alone until I figured the correct course of action. One other thing is that in places where I was sloppy with my gluing, the excess glue seems to have set the scorch marks. So, I can proceed having learned something and fully expecting another problem to rear its ugly head at another time. Talk about going to The School of Hard Knocks !
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
tenderfoot
#53 Posted : 21 April 2021 23:48:45

Good to see you found a solution. If you are like me and others you will soon find you have dozens of home-made sanding sticks - some long, some short, some pointy, some rounded - it is quite often that one finds need for a custom sander and these types of models multiply the need.

School of Hard Knocks is so true...but what a fun and rewarding education you get. Great work on your ship!
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Medric
#54 Posted : 29 April 2021 21:56:51

I have everything from pack 4 glued up and I got the email that pack 5 is on the way. Frame rib # "I" and the poor sanding and fairing that I did on it is tormenting me to the depths of my soul. I can't live with it. I got on the horn to customer service and ordered replacement parts. $15 bucks per rib plus $5 bucks shipping. I also ordered frame rib # "L" as I am afraid that my first one won't match up right to my hawse pieces. The fairing of that rib and the shape of the hawse blend together and would look pretty amateurish if not exactly right. Another factor is that these two ribs are the very front two and are a focal point of the finished model. So, $35 bucks later I am a bit wiser. I am inspired by Tenderfoots build on this model and the painstaking efforts he is going to to produce a first class model. This is just too nice a thing to ham hand it together. I will probably be going a bit slower on my build now that spring is here and "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has a list of yard tasks for me that would be suicidal to put off. Rest assured, however, that I will be forging ahead and building this, just with that much more deliberation. Stay tuned.
image.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt
Gandale
#55 Posted : 29 April 2021 23:40:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making good progress I see, coming along very nicely.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tenderfoot
#56 Posted : 30 April 2021 01:58:19

I hear ya, Medric. I have often had my mistakes torment my soul until I decided to set things right. It is also a testament to the quality of the subscriptions as well as customer service that they make accommodations for our poor tormented souls. When working on the Victory several years back I actually re-ordered an entire month since I botched the hull planking so badly that I needed all new material. So you are not alone...we are here for you...all us tormented souls.

In the end, all that matters is that you are satisfied with the results, not just now, but also when the ship is completed.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#57 Posted : 30 April 2021 02:08:38

As far as what to do with the last rib and the hawse that attaches to it. Now that I have gone through it I can offer up what I would do if I were to do it all over again.

On the rib face that attaches to the hawse, I would cut out the template, lay it on the rib, and lightly trace the template onto the rib with a #2 pencil.

On the hawse face that attaches to the rib, I would cut out the template, lay it on the hawse, and lightly trace the template onto the hawse with a pencil.

Once the hawse has had the template traced onto it, I would trim the outside edge back to the template mark. I would be sure to only take it back at the very outside edge and not to start shaping the outside or inside face of the hawse. The goal is to get this as accurate to what you traced from the template as possible.

Once that was done, I would then have a nice clean outer edge to my hawse where it meets the rib. It would then be a simple matter of lining up my hawse edge with the template outline on the rib.

If everything lines up, I would then glue the rib to the hawse. Note, I would not have done any work to the rib just yet. The only wood I have removed at this point is the outside edge of the hawse where it meets the rib.

Once everything is glued and dried overnight, I would then have one full piece that I could shape as needed. This would ensure a nice, perfect fit between the hawse and the first rib.

Please note that I did not do this exactly as described and that some of this is from lessons learned. Fortunately for me, I did pre-shape the first rib, but left it a bit larger than needed...not on purpose, just lucky. On the second half of the hawse I followed the above, shaped the very outside edge where it meets the rib. I then, best I could, traced the template onto may already poorly shaped rib. Finally, I married the pieces together, lining up the hawse with the template markings on the rib.

However, to each their own and according to their needs and/or abilities. Rooting for you on this as I have found it the most difficult aspect of the build to date and eager to see your results.

You Got This!!!
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Medric
#58 Posted : 30 April 2021 22:48:37

Thank you for your excellent advice and tips Tenderfoot. That's just about exactly what I was thinking but you expanded upon my ideas to point me in a better direction. That first rib and the hawse pieces are quite a bit of intricate modeling in themselves since the fairing on both sides of the rib meld into the hawse pieces. Anyone tackling this kit really needs to know that ahead of time. I took the wrong road to display the folly of presumptuous thinking. Somebody had to do it. So thank you again for your detailed instruction and guidance. I got the email just a few minutes ago that I should see those parts within three weeks. They ship from The UK. You are right about the great level of customer service that goes along with this subscription kit. I recommend this company to everyone. I'm glad I stopped shaping my hawse pieces and fairing my ribs in time so that I wouldn't goof up even more but I have plenty to do until those new parts arrive. I can do my preparatory sanding in advance of the finish staining. Your tips on eliminating excess glue and the actual staining are invaluable. Lucky me that I have a great build like yours to follow and learn from. So, onward and upward !
Theodore Roosevelt
goddo
#59 Posted : 01 May 2021 10:18:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Veronica work Medric,
Looking forward to seeing the build develop.
Chris
tenderfoot
#60 Posted : 26 May 2021 01:14:51

Just a quick check-in to see how things are going, Medric. Hoping this post find you well and that you have received your replacement parts. Looking forward to the rest of your build.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: