Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
OcCre Santisima Trinidad 1:90 1st Rate Ship of the Line Options
CaptnBirdseye
#21 Posted : 07 March 2021 17:53:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

In this update, i built up what will become the stern gallery. Straight forward enough, just adding the supports and the end panel.

Next, the instructions ask that you add supports for the lower deck. These seemed a bit flimsy to me, so i used a few of the offcuts from where the hull formers came out of the ply sheet. These, i judged to be the right thickness - thick enough to offer bettere support to the deck, but not so thick that they interfere with the mast when installed. It is essential that these supports are at a right angle to the false keel, otherwise there are going to be problems when installing the deck itself. I used a set square for the first support, then a straight edge for the second. Seemed to work out ok BigGrin

Another deviation was to install the lower deck before planking. No other reason than for personal preference. My thinking being this way you can ensure better fit of the deck.

Started laying the first planks. I don't know if i will be using the caulking and trenail effect, as i fancy leaving it clean. Will make final decision once fitted and sanded. The pins are there just to help butt them up against each other until the glue dries.
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
1Q4A1527.jpg
1Q4A1528.jpg
1Q4A1529.jpg
1Q4A1530.jpg
1Q4A1531.jpg
1Q4A1532.jpg
1Q4A1533.jpg
1Q4A1534.jpg
1Q4A1535.jpg
1Q4A1536.jpg
1Q4A1537.jpg
1Q4A1538.jpg
1Q4A1539.jpg
delboy271155
#22 Posted : 07 March 2021 21:32:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice progress. BigGrin

Some nice fore-thought with the reinforcement.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#23 Posted : 08 March 2021 08:51:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Thanks Del. If you’d have seen the supplied supports. I think you would have done the same. They are barely thicker than the decking planks RollEyes

Regards Gray
Gandale
#24 Posted : 09 March 2021 00:03:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Gray, excellent progress on show.....Cool Cool .. Good thinking on the supports, always better to be safe than sorry. Belts and braces to be sure.... Well done....

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#25 Posted : 23 March 2021 21:21:44

BigGrin A small update - that took a long while to do!
Finished fitting all the planks, and sanded them down. As this deck isn't seen very well, i thought i'd try a few things out on it. To simulate the caulking, i used a pencel along the joints lengthways. Then i scored the joints across the grain with a craft knife. The trennails were made with a drawing pin.
I then gave it a couple of coats of Danish Oil to bring out the grain and emphesize the trenails and caulking.
Unsure I’m not altogether convinced with the result as to my eyes it seems a bit.....cluttered? I also like the bare look that can be seen in Jack Aubrey’s diary.
Will sleep on it before I decide, as easily stripped back if I decide against.
1Q4A1540.jpg
Gandale
#26 Posted : 24 March 2021 08:49:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along beautifully Gray, very nice work on the decking. A long job laying planking I agree, even longer when you come to planking the sides of the hull but I find the task very relaxing..... Look forward to seeing more of this build, she's a beautiful ship when done.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
goddo
#27 Posted : 24 March 2021 09:00:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Very nice work Gray.
As you say, rather be safe than sorry with the extra deck supports if they look flimsy.
Well done. BigGrin BigGrin
Chris
CaptnBirdseye
#28 Posted : 25 March 2021 21:12:25

BigGrin Thanks for looking in, guys, and leaving your comments ThumpUp
Always appreciated.

Thought i'd share my new invention. I needed a method to 'mass produce' an exact length of planking, and came up with this! This jig just keeps on giving LOL BigGrin LOL
1Q4A1542.jpg
1Q4A1543.jpg
1Q4A1544.jpg
Markwarren
#29 Posted : 26 March 2021 09:18:07

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very nice Gray.Love

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#30 Posted : 26 March 2021 11:18:21

BigGrin Thanks Mark, although the jury’s still out on the planking Unsure
I’ve got some Tanganyka I might try and see how that looks

Regards Gray
magpie1832
#31 Posted : 26 March 2021 23:25:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking well Gray. My HMS Surprise was done in tanganyka planks then oiled with Antique oil and look a really nice colour. I will use it again on another ship when I get round to building one lol.

https://forum.model-spac...s&m=12308#post12308

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Kev the Modeller
#32 Posted : 26 March 2021 23:34:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work on that decking Gray, with a very realistic randomness to the colouring of each individual plank which works perfectly as a whole deck section?

Well done too on your excellent plank cutting tool, a nice idea brought to fruition. Top job. Cool ThumpUp

Kev. Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Gandale
#33 Posted : 27 March 2021 00:37:44

That's quite an ingenious use of the build jig Gray and very well thought out too..... One for the memory bank I think..... Well done.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan

goddo
#34 Posted : 27 March 2021 09:54:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Nice work there Gray.
How are you getting on with that jig? I have the same one and while it is very strong and accurate, it is also quite large. I couldn't wait to get mine off the bench in the end. Still, it does what it is supposed to do and that's the main thing.
Chris
CaptnBirdseye
#35 Posted : 27 March 2021 12:43:23

BigGrin Thanks for looking in guys. Comments much appreciated Crying

@Chris, that Tanganyka does look well with just the oil on, and would make a nice contrast in colour to the planking. Food for thought ThumpUp

@Kev, the jury is still out on the deck colour. I'm not sure if i like it enough to do the main deck with it. As mentioned, the Tanganyka looks well too.
The cutting tool is just an amalgamation of two pieces of equipment that i owned. 'The mother of invention', and all that BigGrin

@Alan, i'm sure a man of your skills has many of these little tips and tricks up your sleeve BigGrin, but it was late at night and i needed the jig NOW, so married the two pieces of equipment together. Have to say it works surprisingly well.

@Goddo (Chris), If you're intending to build many wooden ships, i beleive this Professional Building Slip by Hobbyzone is the one to own. Yes it's bulky, takes up masses of room, but it's also very adaptable. There isn't many ship skeletons it cannot handle, makes for easy fitting of frames, and the model can be held securely and rotated to help when planking the hull.

If anyone is inteested in knowing more about these build jigs, JamesH did a review of it here, for Model Ship World (hope i'm not breaking any copyright here Mellow BigGrin ), : https://modelshipworld.c...uilding-slip-hobbyzone/

Regards Gray
John Passmore
#36 Posted : 28 March 2021 06:31:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gray

That's a brilliant looking model and you're doing a great job of the build....BigGrin Love the jig - what a monsta!...Laugh

Regards
JohnP
CaptnBirdseye
#37 Posted : 29 March 2021 11:43:51

BigGrin Thanks for looking in John ThumpUp Appreciate the comments. The judge is not cheap, but very versatile
More updates shortly

Regards Gray
CaptnBirdseye
#38 Posted : 31 March 2021 21:16:50

BigGrin Well, i finally decided what i want to do with the deck.

Having some 4mm Tanganyka strips in my stash, and thinking these looked a better scale and colouring, i have re-done the deck. I have also had a go at the '4 plank shift' tecnique. This, to me, looks better and less 'cluttered'. To highlight the caulking, i used a knife to score the edge of the planks, then used a pencil to 'fill in' the edges.

The trenails are simulated by use of a fine drill bit, and then a few coats of Danish Oil to finish off. This also acentuates the illusion of the trenails BigGrin. Not sure if the photos really do it justice, as in the flesh the effect looks a million times better!

Hope you agree?

1Q4A1545.jpg
1Q4A1546.jpg
1Q4A1551.jpg
Gandale
#39 Posted : 31 March 2021 23:56:18

Now that does look a lot more authentic Gray, excellent work.....Drool Drool .. Little tip for you... I tried using a knife as you did but found I ended up cutting into the strips. I use an awl or scribe.. When the planks are fitted, set a ruler along the edge of the plank and run the awl along the caulking line. Gives a slight indentation rather than a score, then run the pencil along the line... gives a nice neat finish.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#40 Posted : 01 April 2021 08:27:24

BigGrin Thanks Al, another great tip ThumpUp Timely too, considering the main deck is next Laugh

Regards
Gray