Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Where to get replacement cable ties? Options
NathanR
#1 Posted : 26 February 2021 17:54:59

Groups: Registered

Hi all, I've been working on my R2D2 for almost a year now, but had a minor catastrophe with fitting the first leg motor (issue 30). I got everything wired up, screwed the leg halves together, but when fitting the two ankle plates it turned out I hadn't left enough of the main motor cable sticking out to be reconnected to the motor.

I took the leg apart, found that the cable ties were so tight that I couldn't just pull the cable through them (it was starting to scrape away the insulation on the wires) so I've ended up cutting them off and now I need to source some replacements.

I don't want to bother CS for spare parts as I'd like to get a load of the cable ties in case I make any more screwups. I already tried ordering some online but the locking heads turned out to be 5mm wide, as opposed to 3mm wide on the ones that came in issue 30, so they're too big to let the leg halves close up.

Can anyone point me to a UK supplier of cable ties that would be small enough to fit inside R2's leg?
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 26 February 2021 20:52:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

NathanR wrote:
Hi all, I've been working on my R2D2 for almost a year now, but had a minor catastrophe with fitting the first leg motor (issue 30). I got everything wired up, screwed the leg halves together, but when fitting the two ankle plates it turned out I hadn't left enough of the main motor cable sticking out to be reconnected to the motor.

I took the leg apart, found that the cable ties were so tight that I couldn't just pull the cable through them (it was starting to scrape away the insulation on the wires) so I've ended up cutting them off and now I need to source some replacements.

I don't want to bother CS for spare parts as I'd like to get a load of the cable ties in case I make any more screwups. I already tried ordering some online but the locking heads turned out to be 5mm wide, as opposed to 3mm wide on the ones that came in issue 30, so they're too big to let the leg halves close up.

Can anyone point me to a UK supplier of cable ties that would be small enough to fit inside R2's leg?

Hi Nathan, BigGrin

Welcome to the forum.

Cable ties or zip ties as they are sometimes known are available in lots of places:

Halfords
Wilko`s
Pound shops
DIY stores
and ebay

They are always useful to have around the house and can be bought in multi-packs with different sizes and lengths in a pack or in single sizes.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

NathanR
#3 Posted : 30 March 2021 15:51:39

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the advice! It took me a while to track down some cable ties the right size - main problem was the locking block being too big and stopping the leg halves from closing up. But I finally found some that worked!

If anyone is interested, for future reference, the cable ties are designated "sub-miniature", and were 1.8x100mm.

R2D2 is now progressing quite nicely BigGrin
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 30 March 2021 20:08:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

NathanR wrote:
Thanks for the advice! It took me a while to track down some cable ties the right size - main problem was the locking block being too big and stopping the leg halves from closing up. But I finally found some that worked!

If anyone is interested, for future reference, the cable ties are designated "sub-miniature", and were 1.8x100mm.

R2D2 is now progressing quite nicely BigGrin

Happy to see you are sorted. Cool Cool Cool Cool

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"