Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Agora 1:2 Scale T-800 Terminator Options
Nytetrain
#1 Posted : 26 February 2021 21:26:56

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is Pack 1: Stage 1 of my Agora Models 1:2 scale T-800 Terminator Endoskeleton.

I bought some aftermarket replacement parts because the parts that came with the kit just didn't look or function correctly. I will talk about them as they come up in the build.

First issue parts.

I am using this regular ink for highlighting the recesses in this model. It flows well and sticks to the chrome pretty well. It's also acrylic based so its easy to clean and work with.

The top set of eye orbits are the ones that came with the issue. They are plain with no detail and they don't fit very well in the face plate.

Lower set of aftermarket eye orbits have great detail and fit much better.

Aftermarket eye orbit on the right compared to the kit eye orbit. See how poorly the kit eye looks for fitment compared to the aftermarket one? This is how they looked before doing a small adjustment to the eye hole they mount in. I had to open up the eye hole a bit with my Dremel for the aftermarket orbit where it's installed so that it can move side to side freely.

Retaining clip installed to hold the orbits in place and lets them move side to side. A servo will be installed later in the build to make them move as well as some red LEDs to light the eyes.

Finished faceplate front view. I cleaned up the black wash in the eye orbits and then I added some silver chrome to the retaining clips for the eyes and did a grey pin wash around the eyes to break up the black and add some depth to the faceplate.

This is it for this stage for me. You are supposed to install the red iris lenses in the eyes that will light up with LEDs but there is more to do with the faceplate before they need to be installed. They are fragile and really don't need to be installed at this point. The aftermarket orbits come with 3 different styles of iris lenses. I will talk about those when I get to that point. That's it for now.
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 27 February 2021 11:15:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Your off to a great start Ron, and those aftermarket mods look the biz!
This is definitely a build to follow

Regards Gray
Nytetrain
#3 Posted : 01 April 2021 11:03:31

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Pack 1: Stage 2 of my T-800 build

The parts that come in this stage.

I bought these replacement teeth because the teeth that Agora supplies are terrible looking. They look like horse teeth. Chloe also does mods for the Ecto-1, BttF DeLorean, the Ferrari F-40, James Bond's DB-5 and others. She answers your emails personally and has great customer service. She is based out of London.

I painted the teeth with Citadel's Screaming Skull white. Added a bit of a brown wash and then sprayed them with some gloss to shine them up. I had to do some modifications to the teeth to get them to sit properly in the cavity. Screwed the top of the face to the upper jaw and the two shoulder pieces together and the stage was done.
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 01 April 2021 12:18:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Those modded teeth look so muck better than the originals, Ron. Good to see another update ThumpUp

Regards Gray
Nytetrain
#5 Posted : 01 April 2021 12:27:33

Thank you for the nice comment Gray. I appreciate it. BigGrin
Best Regards,
Ron

Nytetrain
#6 Posted : 01 April 2021 13:02:55

Pack 1: Stage 3

This stage consists of the right bicep actuator, right pointer finger, and a battery pack and circuit board to test the LED's from Stage 1.

Three pieces of the right bicep go together with a screw dipped in thread lock. I found it easiest to put the long parts together first and then line up the screw with the short part that it threads in to.

Put 3 AAA batteries in the batter box and hooked it up to the circuit board to test the LED's.

These parts are going in the spares box. These are the original connectors for the finger joints. They were terrible as they were a press fit and fell apart almost immediately. They also included the replacement parts which Agora supplied that were an improvement but, ended up falling apart also, after manipulating the fingers a few times. Even Super glue couldn't help this engineering disaster.

So... we turn to Chloe again to fix the problem. New finger joints that look more realistic to the original movie model. They will come loose if you keep messing with the fingers but they won't fall apart like the old joints.

Each joint has two screws, two washers and a threaded insert. I put these together with a bit of thread lock again. You get plenty of spares and the tool to assemble them.

Super glue the finger tip on and assemble the joints. This is a huge improvement in that the T-800 can hold his Plasma Rifle now, were with the old finger joints he couldn't.

Finished bicep and finger.
Best Regards,
Ron