Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Dashboard vent Options
Brian Whitworth
#1 Posted : 28 February 2021 23:43:12

Groups: Registered

I am having trouble getting a good paint finish on the dashboard vent Grill, which I think is because of the preparation of the brass etching. I have cleaned the brass with all sorts of cleaner even Trichloroethane which was a brilliant degreaser and cleaner (so good that it has been banned) I then used AK interactive Photoetch Burnishing fluid but even after a couple of hours in the fluid still wipes off. Has anyone any suggestions please
Brian Whitworth attached the following image(s):
IMG_1457.JPG
Nytetrain
#2 Posted : 01 March 2021 02:33:55

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What kind of primer and paint are you using? Also are you brush painting or spraying?
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 01 March 2021 09:09:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

There used to be a Humbrol paint called 'Makes paint stick'.
It was amazing on just about anything. I used it long ago to prime a brass live-steam garden railway engine. Worked a treat but Humbrol must have changed the name as I can't find it. Maybe a bit of searching will bring it up.
Confused
Nytetrain
#4 Posted : 01 March 2021 17:40:55

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is what I do.

I go over the part with either a Scotch Bright pad or some #0000 steel wool.

Clean with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol

Then I prime with Rust-Oleum self-etching primer. It has a mixture of acid and zinc in it to help it stick to the brass. You should be able to find it in any hardware store or automotive shop.

https://www.homedepot.co...r-Spray-249322/202097278
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
semaj
#5 Posted : 01 March 2021 21:53:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Not answering your question but I like this part, may I ask where you got it from?
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
Brian Whitworth
#6 Posted : 01 March 2021 23:22:39

Thanks for all the answers and advice. The reason I wanted to leave the vent in a blacked condition (not painted ) is because the slots in the center section are only 0.45mm wide and can easily become clogged with paint hence loose the definition. the question as to where I got the item from I will answer in a later post as I am trying sort something out at the moment. but I will answer very soon. Thanks again for the response
admin
#7 Posted : 02 March 2021 06:34:24

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Brian,

The PE looks great! Search for a model railroading product called “Blacken-it” which will do the trick.

Should you go into production, I’d like to remind you that sales are not permitted on these forums, save through a 3rd party such as eBay. I’m more than happy to permit an eBay link, but please, NO personal sales. I get grumpy, and start airlocking members when that happens.

Thanks!

Mark
Brian Whitworth
#8 Posted : 02 March 2021 19:18:29

Thanks Admin. I commissioned the dashboard vent as a one off which cost a hefty sum only to get 20 of them on a sheet of brass so I will be setting up a E bay account to do just that to offset the layout.
I had read the rules on selling on the forum.
admin
#9 Posted : 03 March 2021 08:01:06

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Brian Whitworth wrote:
Thanks Admin. I commissioned the dashboard vent as a one off which cost a hefty sum only to get 20 of them on a sheet of brass so I will be setting up a E bay account to do just that to offset the layout.
I had read the rules on selling on the forum.

Hey Brian,

I apologize if I came across as lecturing. It’s an old problem that rears it’s ugly head occasionally, and it’s better to remind everyone else, in the event someone reading it may have missed the policy.

(Send the eBay link PM before you post it......LOL LOL LOL)

Stay well,

Mark
semaj
#10 Posted : 03 March 2021 18:05:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I had no idea it was a custom part you had made, I thought you had bought it from somewhere
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'