Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages 123>»
Odo's Build Options
Odo
#1 Posted : 05 March 2021 00:29:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

This is my first wooden model build. Maybe I've taken on too much starting with a model of that size but i'm not planning to have it done any time soon. So please accept my apologies for my slow progress of my build. I started about 5 month ago, but with two young kids and a wife with a lot of home improving ideas about, time is sparse.

So here we go...

First the launch
Odo attached the following image(s):
IMG_6266.jpg
IMG_6271.jpg
IMG_6274.jpg
IMG_6287.jpg
IMG_6294.jpg
IMG_6338.jpg
IMG_6347.jpg
IMG_6372.jpg
admin
#2 Posted : 05 March 2021 01:42:35

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well, you’re off to an excellent start! That’s some nice, tight planking on the launch.

I’m looking forward to seeing more!

Best,

Mark
Odo
#3 Posted : 05 March 2021 09:53:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thank you for your comment Mark.

Obviously, I decided to go for the natural finish. Unfortunately, I'm not really happy with my choice of the antique pine varnish on the hull. It looked okay to me on the samples I did before but now I find it a bit too 'orangey'. But i guess I can live with it and will try a different varnishes on the other mini builds.

Odo
#4 Posted : 05 March 2021 09:59:33

Hi everyone

I noticed that some of my uploaded pictures don't seem to display properly and appear as question marks on the screen. But every time I reload the site, it's different pictures doing it. I resized the pictures to a resolution of 640px on the long side before up loading.

Would an even smaller resolution help to get them displayed without issues?

Cheers,

Odo
CaptnBirdseye
#5 Posted : 05 March 2021 10:04:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin You’re off to a great start there, Odo ThumpUp If the rest is as neat and tidy as your launch, then this will be one sweet build!
Unfortunately the problem with displaying images is well know, and hopefully cured when the new site is ready

Regards Gray
z8000783
#6 Posted : 05 March 2021 10:06:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi Odo

Really nice work on the launch. Colour looks fine to me. Often the stain appears too light on these models.

The image issue is not your fault, it's been a problem with this forum for about 10 years now.

However, it will all be fixed when a new website and forum are launched in the summer so if you can put up with it until then, great.

I'm sure one of the Admins here can provide us with the latest progress on this if you ask.

goddo
#7 Posted : 05 March 2021 10:56:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Odo,
You look to have got off to a very good start and the launch build is impressive.
It's also nice to see a natural wood finish model as well.
Will watch the diary with interest.
As others have said, the problems with images is an on-going situation, nothing to do with how you are uploading.
Chris
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 05 March 2021 11:41:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Odo, BigGrin

Looking good to me, nice start.Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a diary.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Odo
#9 Posted : 05 March 2021 14:13:18

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Odo, BigGrin

Looking good to me, nice start.Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a diary.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Cheers Derek,

I was wondering already on how the medals and ranks are awarded

Regards,
Odo
Odo
#10 Posted : 05 March 2021 14:19:44

Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging words, it's much appreciated!

Let's hope the upcoming new website will fix the issue with the pictures.

Regards,
Odo

Odo
#11 Posted : 05 March 2021 14:29:05

I started of with some of the mini builds parallel to building the framework of the hull.

After the launch I did the barrels. I wasn't too keen on the look of them in the building instructions, so I customised them a little to make them look more like actual barrels.

In order to achieve the look I used spare planks from the launch build and finished them with a single coat of dark oak varnish...
IMG_6557.jpg
IMG_6559.jpg
IMG_6551.jpg
IMG_6560.jpg
IMG_6577.jpg
Roeland
#12 Posted : 05 March 2021 16:40:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

That looks great. I'm almost finished with my build but still have to do the barrels. I might steal your ideas....
Gandale
#13 Posted : 05 March 2021 17:34:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

For your first wooden ship build I'd say you're showing some really nice work there Odo. Can already see this is going to be a very enjoyable diary to follow.... Very well done, look forward to your next update.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Odo
#14 Posted : 05 March 2021 21:57:02

Roeland wrote:
That looks great. I'm almost finished with my build but still have to do the barrels. I might steal your ideas....

Thanks Roeland!

Feel free to steal away... Cool
Odo
#15 Posted : 05 March 2021 22:11:46

Gandale wrote:
For your first wooden ship build I'd say you're showing some really nice work there Odo. Can already see this is going to be a very enjoyable diary to follow.... Very well done, look forward to your next update.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

I appreciate that Alan. And I hope I can keep it up. Planking the big hull might be a totally different matter. As I want to achieve a natural finish I really want to try not having to use any filler as I'm not sure how it would affect the varnish...

But I'm not in a rush. What I'm most respectful and also most afraid of is the rigging, which looks to me like an absolute nightmare. But I guess thats still a couple of years away.

Cheers,
Odo
Odo
#16 Posted : 05 March 2021 23:04:21

The photos used on the ModelSpace website, picture the Victory with brass canons. Which looked great to me but was rather disappointed when the canons in the kit came in both steel and black colour but no brassHuh

I guess I had to find some elsewhere, as painting them wouldn't have looked quite right to me...
IMG_6718.jpg
IMG_6732.jpg
IMG_6733.jpg
IMG_6734.jpg
IMG_6978.jpg
IMG_6976.jpg
Gandale
#17 Posted : 05 March 2021 23:12:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Odo wrote:
Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

I appreciate that Alan. And I hope I can keep it up. Planking the big hull might be a totally different matter. As I want to achieve a natural finish I really want to try not having to use any filler as I'm not sure how it would affect the varnish...

But I'm not in a rush. What I'm most respectful and also most afraid of is the rigging, which looks to me like an absolute nightmare. But I guess thats still a couple of years away.

Cheers,
Odo

Hi Odo, don't be overly concerned about the rigging. The instructions are the best you will find and takes you through the rigging process in a very detailed manner. You'll find them very easy to follow as with the Official Video build..... It really isn't very difficult....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Odo
#18 Posted : 14 March 2021 21:25:26

Hi again,

I decided to do the cutaway and found that you can actually see quite a bit into the exposed gun decks. I'm not too keen on the lock of the suggested deck planking in the construction plans, as it covers only a little of the decks area.

In many building diaries I've seen these areas planked, so I decided to use the opportunity to practice some deck planking for myself. So far I've only done the lower gun deck. I believe the decking on the Victory itself is very dark if I'm not mistaken. But I thought it might swallow too much light in case I want to add some more things other than the crew and canons.

I went with two coats of danish oil and one coat of walnut varnish wiped of immediately after applying...
IMG_6590.jpg
IMG_6602.jpg
IMG_6627.jpg
IMG_6628.jpg
IMG_6629.jpg
Odo
#19 Posted : 14 March 2021 21:46:45

I ran out of deck planking on the middle gun deck so I already started the fairing of the hull.

I thought to have assembled the frames quite well, but the fairing proved me wrong. I'm not sure if it was me or the fabricated parts itself, but I had to add material on more than just one occasion. For example; the difference between frame 18 and 19 on the port side was almost 2mm. If I'd started planking there would've been quite a significant dip as frame 17 was almost level with frame 19.

...and that frame 34Cursing
IMG_6987.jpg
IMG_6988.jpg
Odo
#20 Posted : 14 March 2021 22:22:42

IMG_7014.jpg