Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages <12345>»
Odo's Build Options
Odo
#41 Posted : 04 February 2023 20:15:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi ODO, BigGrin

This is all looking very good, WTG Cool Cool Cool

I have to agree with Chris and his comments previously, but I would remind you to be careful of shaping down to the lowest point all the time.

Sometimes it pays to use a little filler to bring up the low point and then sand back. Otherwise you may find yourself with a plank so thin that its no good.

Using filler is not anyway saying you have got it wrong, its just a fine balance to get to where you want/need to be so your second planking looks so much better.

Good luck as you move on with your build and I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks Derek, your comments are much appreciated ThumpUp

I had that exact concern you're mentioning about ending up with planks that are too thin after sanding the hull. And to minimise the risk off going too thin the plan was to make sure, that in those areas where the adjoining planks were not flush and had more of a clinker look, the overhanging plank stuck out no more than 0.5mm.

Well, the plan worked quite well in most areas. At a couple of points the overhang was just shy of 1mm but I'm confident that after sanding no plank is thinner than 1mm.

There is only one spot where I had to glue a scrap piece of plank on top of an existing plank as the overhang was about 1.5mm. This fix is not crazily obvious and will be covered with a wale anyways.

Odo attached the following image(s):
IMG_2756.jpg
IMG_2757.jpg
IMG_2758.jpg
Odo
#42 Posted : 04 February 2023 20:34:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

After spending the whole day in a dust cloud, I finally finished shaping the hull.

Using the scrapers left me with a fairly smooth surface already, so the sanding was really more of a matter of getting the finish right.

I started with 100G, then moved to 150G goldflex sanding pads and finished with 240G sanding pads. The finish feels fine to me but I'm not sure if I should go any finer with grid 320 or even 400?!

Would any finer than 240G be of any real benefit? I still want to stain the hull and don't want to 'polish' the fibres of the wood too much risking the stain not to adhere.
IMG_2748.jpg
IMG_2749.jpg
IMG_2750.jpg
IMG_2751.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg
IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2754.jpg
goddo
#43 Posted : 06 February 2023 19:54:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Odo, that is one very tidy set of planking. Beautifully done.
Keep the diary entries coming.
Chris
Odo
#44 Posted : 11 February 2023 10:52:38

goddo wrote:
Odo, that is one very tidy set of planking. Beautifully done.
Keep the diary entries coming.
Chris

Thanks Chris, I'm glad this process is past me now.
Odo
#45 Posted : 11 February 2023 10:54:38

I'm not 100% sure what type of varnish to use when it comes to staining the hull. In order to figure that one out I'm currently making samples to try different combinations.

For the wales i decided to get walnut strip wood as I want to reduce the rest of a potentially varnish bleeding...
sample1.jpg
sample2.jpg
sample3.jpg
Odo
#46 Posted : 11 February 2023 11:02:56

I used two coats of dark oak satin varnish for below the waterline and just a clear satin varnish on top of the wales and upper hull, which looked like this
sample4.jpg
sample5.jpg
Odo
#47 Posted : 11 February 2023 15:01:44

I found that the walnut looks a little bit dull, so I applied two coats of walnut and ended up with a nicer contrast between the varnishes

Also, I added some tree nails form bass wire, which I think and hope will give a nice little detail addition to the hull. I pre-drilled the holes with a 0.4mm drill and then filled them with 0.5mm brass wire.

In order to do the whole hull of the Victory, I'll have to pre-drill and fit approx. 4,500 of these nails Blink

Happy days ahead...
sample6.jpg
sample7.jpg
Odo
#48 Posted : 12 February 2023 12:13:00

For the second sample I thought to try to mimic warmer colour scheme of the Victory model as shown on the DeAgostini website https://www.deagostini.c...cale-models/hms-victory

I tried with various varnishes (eg. antique pine, french oak...) I had at hand but couldn't achieve a satisfactorily result, at least for me.

There's a few more stages before I actually get to stain the hull but I'll most likely go with the first sample as I think it''l look more natural and better once the varnish is applied to the whole ship.
samplepine.jpg
samplepine2.jpg
goddo
#49 Posted : 18 February 2023 02:24:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Odo,

I’ve just read your last post with interest as I went through the same decision process when I was at this stage.
I think you are making a good choice with the first stain sample. It looks much more ‘Normal’

Keep the posts coming.

Chris
Odo
#50 Posted : 19 February 2023 10:31:19

goddo wrote:
Hi Odo,

I’ve just read your last post with interest as I went through the same decision process when I was at this stage.
I think you are making a good choice with the first stain sample. It looks much more ‘Normal’

Keep the posts coming.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input. Things might look nice on a sample but end up appearing differently once the whole hull is done.

It's hard to make a choice. I tried one last combination. And rather than making a third sample I reused the one with the antique pine varnish (scraped and sanded off all the old varnishes of course).

This time I used a Dark Oak Stain rather than a Varnish on the lower hull, a walnut dye on the wales and a Dark Oak Varnish on the upper hull.

I think the dye and the stain brought out the grain of the wood better and added maybe a bit more character. I also think, this sample resembles more the look I wanted to mimic.

However, I'm still torn....
IMG_2806.jpg
IMG_2807.jpg
Odo
#51 Posted : 19 February 2023 13:10:35

Before making any wood colouring choices, I need to focus on something else. I can't do the staining until the false keel is installed anyway so here we go.

I didn't want to risk for the blade to wander off and cut into the hull whilst cutting along the provisionally fitted keel, so I decided just to make a pencil line along the keel and then use a chisel knife to cut along the line.

It's, again, a slow process but it allowed me to have more control over staying on the cut line.
cutout1.jpg
cutout2.jpg
cutout3.jpg
cutout4.jpg
Odo
#52 Posted : 19 February 2023 13:14:37

here with the dry fitted curved stem
bow2.jpg
bow3.jpg
bow4.jpg
Odo
#53 Posted : 19 February 2023 13:16:52

...and the stern post
stern1.jpg
stern3.jpg
stern4.jpg
stern5.jpg
tf64
#54 Posted : 20 February 2023 18:55:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Odo, Very nice work.looking forward to the next post.

Regards Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Odo
#55 Posted : 21 February 2023 23:51:39

tf64 wrote:
Odo, Very nice work.looking forward to the next post.

Regards Trev

Thanks Trev
admin
#56 Posted : 22 February 2023 06:55:36

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice, tight looking planking job!

I started this one ages ago, but gave it up. The plywood de-lammed due to the desert air, and it seemed pointless to redo everything, only to meet the probable same fate.

Looks great!

Mark
Odo
#57 Posted : 22 February 2023 21:51:03

admin wrote:
Nice, tight looking planking job!

I started this one ages ago, but gave it up. The plywood de-lammed due to the desert air, and it seemed pointless to redo everything, only to meet the probable same fate.

Looks great!

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Sorry to hear that all your hard work got ruined. I'd be devastated if for whatever reason the whole thing would fall apart at this stage...

Odo
#58 Posted : 22 February 2023 21:55:02

The false keel, as well as the stem and stern post , are sitting nice and tight it their cut-out. So when gluing them in place there was no need to use pins.
keel1.jpg
keel3.jpg
keel4.jpg
Odo
#59 Posted : 22 February 2023 22:22:18

I found it really tricky to get the cut right for the false keel at the stern, especially when the keel was fitted.

My idea was to leave the width of the cut-out where the planks are twisting and at approx. 5mm. At that point the planks thin out to nothing and become very fragile but also very flexible because of it.

I thought to use that flex so that the planks will press themselves against the keel. Some pieces of the planks chipped of, but sanding made these areas less obvious.

Unfortunately, I didn't not take enough pictures to illustrate my thinking but I hope it makes sense...
keel5.jpg
keel8.jpg
keel6.jpg
keel7.jpg
Odo
#60 Posted : 02 March 2023 22:34:00

next step; fitting the false decks for the gallery.

I followed the instructions of how to mark the positions of the cutout for the upper false deck to be slotted in. I cut them in a right angle toward the last rip frame. But when I fitted the deck I figured that I actually should've cut them sloping slightly up wards following the extended curvature of the future upper gun deck (indicated with the red line). That way the upper false deck supports will sit flush with the lower false deck.

Correcting the slots to allow an upwards slope won't be an issue, but...
IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg
IMG_2868.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg