Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<23456>»
Odo's Build Options
Odo
#61 Posted : 02 March 2023 22:53:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

...but, I during the fitting of the decks I discovered an issue that I have completely missed until nowOhMyGod

The gallery support is not straight Scared

The starboard edge of the support sits a good 1.5mm lower that the one on the port side. It doesn't sound a lot but it's looks very obvious to me.

I remember at the time that I was quite enthusiastic finally starting the planking and must have missed to double check the proper sit of the support beams. I didn't notice the difference either when planking this bit with the frame upside down.

I'm not sure of how to rectify this. Has anyone came across a similar issue?

My current thinking is to leave it and hopefully it won't be as obvious once the gallery is completed...
Odo attached the following image(s):
IMG_2866.jpg
IMG_2870.jpg
IMG_2871.jpg
goddo
#62 Posted : 05 March 2023 09:58:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Odo,
I don't recall having the problem of the gallery deck being off-line slightly on my build although it almost certainly was!
What I do know is that by the time the external gallery cladding is fitted, you will not notice that the inner deck is slightly askew. My personal advice (not always the best, mind you BigGrin ) is to leave it as it is.
Incidentally, that hull cladding is probably the neatest I have ever seen. Keep it going and look forward to more build updates.
Chris
Odo
#63 Posted : 06 March 2023 19:12:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

goddo wrote:
Hi Odo,
I don't recall having the problem of the gallery deck being off-line slightly on my build although it almost certainly was!
What I do know is that by the time the external gallery cladding is fitted, you will not notice that the inner deck is slightly askew. My personal advice (not always the best, mind you BigGrin ) is to leave it as it is.
Incidentally, that hull cladding is probably the neatest I have ever seen. Keep it going and look forward to more build updates.
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your remark about the hull cladding, appreciate it. The question is can I keep it up. Time will tell...

The inner decks of the gallery are actually straight. It's the gallery support with the two gun ports that's sloping. However, I think you're right and for the moment I'll leave it, as I can't think of a way to rectify it. I probably gonna take the gamble and hope i'll be able to counter act the slope when fitting and cladding the gallery walls. At the end it'll only be noticeable if you look at the gallery straight on and only if you actually know it's there RollEyes
Odo
#64 Posted : 09 March 2023 21:55:16

I want to give Woody's ModelWorks a big shoutout as I was lucky enough to order one of the last available gallery enhancement kits as well as the water level markers.

As so many other fellow builders I found that the provided gallery does not quite look right and really appreciate that people put the time and effort into providing enhancement kits of that quality to highlight certain features looking as great as they are on the real Victory itself.

Well done Woody's ModelWorks!

IMG_2879.jpg
IMG_2882.jpg
IMG_2883.jpg
IMG_2905.jpg
Odo
#65 Posted : 09 March 2023 22:16:56

The dimensions and details of the provided gallery ornaments, figure head and side entries are also not to my liking.

And as I don't have the skills such as wizard Willz demonstrates in his build to get the details I want, I found these ones from Shapeways. After reading through Woody's gallery instruction I discovered, he used them as well.

They are not cheap but I think definitely worth the money...
IMG_2897.jpg
IMG_2898.jpg
IMG_2901.jpg
IMG_2902.jpg
IMG_2903.jpg
IMG_2900.jpg
admin
#66 Posted : 10 March 2023 17:42:02

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Once again, I’m struck by the planking! Fantastic job!

The detail set looks great too, and I can’t wait to see it in place.

Cheers,

Mark
Odo
#67 Posted : 12 March 2023 00:21:57

Thanks Mark!
Odo
#68 Posted : 12 March 2023 00:43:03

Thought to try out adding some detail to the side walls of the entry ports. The walnut strip wood I used for the gun ports wasn't wide enough so had to glue a couple of pieces together to get a width that was workable with - well, at least to a certain extend. The wood was so soft that I could get clean cuts to simulate the panel inserts...

My first attempt:
IMG_2759.jpg
IMG_2760.jpg
IMG_2762.jpg
Odo
#69 Posted : 12 March 2023 00:54:54

For the second attempt, I used a single wider piece of walnut that I ordered together with the strip wood for the wales. Luckily this was 'harder' and much easier to work with when it came to carving it.

After I used a few coats of deep mahogany varnish to give the side panels some colour.
IMG_2918.jpg
IMG_2919.jpg
IMG_2920.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg
Odo
#70 Posted : 12 March 2023 00:57:09

Finally, I wanted softer inner frame edges as they are on the real Victory, so I had add and shape some rounded corners.
IMG_2915.jpg
IMG_2916.jpg
IMG_2917.jpg
richard.l
#71 Posted : 12 March 2023 09:56:39

Hi Odo that level of detail is amazing keep it up, its insperational stuff. thanks for sharing the info on shapeways i am missing the lower gun port canopys for one side of the ship and have been trying to source them for last year,and i have found them now on that site, although the supplied ones are 19.4mm on that site they are 1:72 and the 1:84 ones are 16.7mm. So maybe the deagastoni supplied parts are slightly oversized. but i will stick with the 19.4mm ones for now. It seems like theres only a few of us building and posting at the moment it,s one of those hobbys where the amount of work can seem overwhelming at times no matter what stage your at there is still another mountain to climb. i hope you persevere with it i will be following your progress in awe of your skills.

best regards Richard
Odo
#72 Posted : 12 March 2023 13:40:45

Thanks Richard!

It's seems to be a never ending climb that requires a lot of focus and foresight. I love this forum for the sake of the latter but it's sometimes a curse at the same time.

With the instructions as well as all the materials provided by DeAgostini you'll end up with a fine model (that's why I've gone with this one) but scrolling through all the other amazing diaries you'll always come across something that can improve the overall appearance or find advise from fellow builders to overcome tricky stages. Often, I find myself spending more time browsing in this forum than on my build.

I can see what you mean with the slightly oversized details, especially comparing them to the ones used on the real ship. It seems a lot of builders stuck with the kit ones and they look just the part. But since you had to point it out Razz my OCD will be taking over to focus on this matter more closely... at some point RollEyes

Cheers,
Odo
Odo
#73 Posted : 20 March 2023 22:04:39

Good evening my fellow modellersSmile

I wish, I could give you and update about the gallery, but I had to put that part of the build aside for now. I'm still debating on how I want the gallery to look and can't quite come to a definite look just yet. I'm sure, I'll settle on something later but felt that I had to take my mind off the bigger building stages and wanted to focus on one of the smaller builds.

One thing that always bugged me was the by the kit suggested design of the binnacle. To me it doesn't resemble the real one at all and as it's in an area of focus, deserves a bit more attention to detail. There are plenty of 3D printed options out there which I might consider, but I wanted to give it a try making one from wood first myself.

I had no idea exactly how to, but I figured it'll come to me whilst building. And of course the first attempt didn't quite cut it...

1st1.jpg
1st2.jpg
1st3.jpg
1st4.jpg
Odo
#74 Posted : 20 March 2023 22:36:08

A couple of years ago I ordered some brass rods that I need for my cannon assemblies. In that order i was provided with a sample pack of brass, steel and copper cylinders of various sizes. I thought, I could utilise these to simulate little compasses as they can be seen in the real binnacle on the Victory. And one of the smaller brass ones with a 3.2mm diameter seemed to be the perfect option for this.

It was clear that my first design didn't allow me to incorporate these, so I had to start over as I needed a better frame.

compass1.jpg
Odo
#75 Posted : 20 March 2023 22:43:37

For the front and back panels I used the leftover plywood from the launch build. Using the whole piece of ply would've given me to thick panels. The ply is made up from 3 layers which are easy enough to be separated with a chisel knife. The result is a 0.5mm thick sheet of wood perfect to make the panels.
binnacle1.jpg
binnacle2.jpg
binnacle3.jpg
Odo
#76 Posted : 20 March 2023 22:56:52

Now for the compasses:

Initially, I just cut the pipe I had in half leaving me two 2.5mm high pipes which I wanted to imbed in wood simulating the housing/box but whichever way I tried, the wood was always splitting and falling apart, since the width was only 0.3mm wider than the diameter of the pipe.

I needed brass rings! Unfortunately, I could saw the pipes anymore as i couldn't hold it in place whilst sawing, and using a vice would've deformed the pipe.

So I had to file them down by hand.
compass2.jpg
compass3.jpg
compass4.jpg
compass5.jpg
Odo
#77 Posted : 20 March 2023 23:09:10

After gluing the 0.6mm high brass rings with a diameter of 3.2mm to some dark oak stained square wood blocks of 3.5mm, I filled the rings with white paint.

I then cut a few hairs off a fine paintbrush and used them to simulate the layout of a compass. In order to achieve this I filled the ring with wood glue and imbedded the hairs before the glue dried.

compass6.jpg
compass7.jpg
compass8.jpg
compass9.jpg
compass10.jpg
compass11.jpg
Odo
#78 Posted : 20 March 2023 23:21:23

For the lantern:

I used the help of my high precision lathe, aka electric drill... I had to ask my 6 year old one for help to keep the trigger pulled at a constant speed... more like variable speed Laugh - he tried, bless him. Just goes to show I really need to get a proper lathe!

I first had to make a dowel from a square wood, which I first painted white, then then with a clear yellow and finished with black accents.
lantern1.jpg
lantern2.jpg
lantern3.jpg
lantern4.jpg
lantern5.jpg
lantern6.jpg
Odo
#79 Posted : 20 March 2023 23:23:10

For the glass:

glass1.jpg
glass2.jpg
glass3.jpg
Odo
#80 Posted : 20 March 2023 23:25:58

and so it comes slowly together...
binnacle4.jpg
binnacle5.jpg
binnacle6.jpg
binnacle7.jpg
binnacle8.jpg
binnacle9.jpg
IMG_3048.jpg
IMG_3051.jpg
IMG_3052.jpg