Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<45678>»
Odo's Build Options
richard.l
#101 Posted : 31 May 2023 07:22:26

Groups: Registered

Wow the devil is in the detail they say, and that is some detail, hats off to you sir another great post showing your incredible skill. Great work Odo.
Odo
#102 Posted : 25 June 2023 10:44:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thanks for you kind and encouraging words guys.

I've just received a couple of micro LEDs and a battery pack to light up the interior of the gallery... not sure yet how to go from here, but there's a solution for everything.

One step at a time...
Odo
#103 Posted : 25 June 2023 10:56:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

A couple more mini builds for some details on the lower gallery deck...

Again I used scrap pieces of wood which there's plenty of!. The chest of books has two coats of dark oak varnish and the edges are painted with silver acyl paint. The books are also made from scrap wood and then painted.

Odo attached the following image(s):
IMG_4064.jpg
IMG_4065.jpg
IMG_4070.jpg
IMG_4073.jpg
Odo
#104 Posted : 25 June 2023 10:58:56

and one of the more comfortable places to sleep on the vessel...
IMG_4124.jpg
IMG_4125.jpg
IMG_4126.jpg
IMG_4127.jpg
IMG_4128.jpg
IMG_4129.jpg
delboy271155
#105 Posted : 25 June 2023 14:43:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Well I take my hat off to you Odo.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

That is some terrific scratch building and I especially like the book chest.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Odo
#106 Posted : 25 June 2023 20:50:23

delboy271155 wrote:
Well I take my hat off to you Odo.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

That is some terrific scratch building and I especially like the book chest.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks Derek, I really enjoy those scratch builds as they give a quick satisfaction, especially when I've only got a couple of hours every other day. And I really appreciate such comments from more experienced modellers Blushing

PS: I was only half listening, but I believe to have heard your call sign on Radio2 the other day ThumpUp
goddo
#107 Posted : 27 June 2023 19:48:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Odo,
Great modelling skills and an inspiration to everyone. I too like the books and the chest. A great addition.
Well done sir.
Chris
Odo
#108 Posted : 22 August 2023 22:27:50

Hey everyone,

It's not a major update but more of a situation report of work in progress.

I added a couple more furniture to complete the details on the lower gallery deck; a desk and chair, a closed chest stained in walnut and a bed with its curtain drawn.
furniture1.jpg
furniture2.jpg
furniture7.jpg
furniture4.jpg
furniture3.jpg
Odo
#109 Posted : 23 August 2023 00:08:56

I still need to get my head around of how to permanently fit the equipment for the lighting. But to get an idea of how it may look like I got some micro LEDs in warm white and cool white.

The pictures are not great but for me the difference in the two whites is, that the cool one lights everything up quite bright and makes it easier to see things as they show their real colours once the gallery panel is installed.

The warmer white tone however, makes it look more "authentic' but everything just looks yellow...
litup2.jpg
litup1.jpg
Odo
#110 Posted : 23 August 2023 00:15:38

As for the gallery panel, I wanted to stick the brass window frames between the panel from the kit and the panel from the upgrade kit.

galleryPanel1.jpg
Odo
#111 Posted : 23 August 2023 00:33:50

I really liked what Willz did with his gallery and wanted to create a similar look with the cladded surface of the gallery.

My idea was to fit 0.5 x 4mm strip wood to the gallery and stain it in walnut.. which I did. Unfortunately, after gluing the strip wood down i immediately started to cut out the windows. I realised to late that I totally forgot to stain the wood first, before starting to cut the windows.

This made the staining process a bit harder and left me with a slight inconsistent finish - but still good enough for my OCD not to kick in and attempt to do it all over.

I managed to avoid to do the same mistake on the side panels and achieved a nice consistent finish before cutting the window frames - no pictures tho

galleryPanel2.jpg
galleryPanel3.jpg
galleryPanel7.jpg
Odo
#112 Posted : 23 August 2023 00:45:23

The gallery panel is made from 3 layers ply and I added a 4th layer with the thin planks. This made the panel really stiff and not pliable at all! Also, when I held the brass window frames to the back of the panel I found them sitting way too deep.

So to counteract both issues, I had to reduce the thickness and remove two layers of the ply to make it flexible again to achieve the curvature of the gallery and to get the window frames closer to the other wall, if that makes sense...

And luckily chiseling away one layer after the other, I succeeded LOL
galleryPanel5.jpg
galleryPanel8.jpg
galleryPanel10.jpg
Odo
#113 Posted : 23 August 2023 00:47:35

galleryPanel9.jpg
goddo
#114 Posted : 23 August 2023 00:53:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Nice work Odo,
Your extra work is really paying off.
As far as the lighting is concerned, wouldn't the lamps of the time give a slightly yellow appearance anyway?
The bright white looks too modern for the period in my opinion.
But then it's not my model is it, so whatever you are happy with is the correct choice.
Chris
Odo
#115 Posted : 23 August 2023 00:55:13

Sometimes I set myself some challenges by not fully thinking through what I'm doing, but that's part of the fun Cool

And this is where I'm currently at; cutting away some of the walnut planking to create spaces for lighter lime strips to make the outer window frame decoration...
paneldecoration1.jpg
paneldecoration2.jpg
paneldecoration3.jpg
paneldecoration4.jpg
paneldecoration5.jpg
paneldecoration6.jpg
paneldecoration8.jpg
Odo
#116 Posted : 23 August 2023 00:56:48

paneldecoration9.jpg
paneldecoration10.jpg
paneldecoration11.jpg
paneldecoration12.jpg
paneldecoration13.jpg
paneldecoration14.jpg
paneldecoration15.jpg
Odo
#117 Posted : 23 August 2023 01:07:50

In the meantime, I also sprayed some of the enhancements I got from Shapeways in gold. The details are quite nice...
Ornaments1.jpg
Ornaments2.jpg
Ornaments3.jpg
Odo
#118 Posted : 23 August 2023 01:20:58

goddo wrote:
Nice work Odo,
Your extra work is really paying off.
As far as the lighting is concerned, wouldn't the lamps of the time give a slightly yellow appearance anyway?
The bright white looks too modern for the period in my opinion.
But then it's not my model is it, so whatever you are happy with is the correct choice.
Chris

Thanks Chris.
You're absolutely right, and I am currently in favour of the warmer light tone even tho it gives the same hue to the whole interior.
It just looks more real.
delboy271155
#119 Posted : 23 August 2023 20:01:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Odo, BigGrin

You have made some amazing choices to get your Gallery to where it is today and I congratulate you on those choices and the execution thereof.

You made some brave moves and I`m so happy they worked for you. Cool Cool

I look forward to seeing future updates on this excellent build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Odo
#120 Posted : 23 August 2023 21:36:54

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Odo, BigGrin

You have made some amazing choices to get your Gallery to where it is today and I congratulate you on those choices and the execution thereof.

You made some brave moves and I`m so happy they worked for you. Cool Cool

I look forward to seeing future updates on this excellent build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

Much appreciated Derek!

All these choices prolong the whole build tho, but "it's all about the journey" as they say Smile