Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Porsche patch-up Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 09 March 2021 14:32:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

A very broken Porsche 917 Bat-tail in 1/12 scale.
It's an extremely basic resin kit from a company called Classic Models Museum.

Somehow the body was demolished into 4 large pieces and then (badly) glued back together again.
Then it was left.

As it happens, the company sent a replacement body (not quite the same car) and this was also in the box.

I'm going to try to resurrect the broken one and then scratch-make the required parts so I can build a different car using the spare body.
Fingers crossed.

So far, body parts broken apart again, re-glued and filler applied to the numerous cracks.
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1019233.JPG
P1019234.JPG
P1019235.JPG
Kev the Modeller
#2 Posted : 09 March 2021 21:44:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

This looks a very interesting restoration Roy and one which I will certainly be following!

Does this kit have much detail included such as full engine/transmission or is it just a rather large 'kerbside' model? I'm guessing one of your builds for this will be the blue and orange 'Gulf' sponsored 917?

Looking forward to seeing more of this Roy. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 10 March 2021 09:19:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Kev the Modeller wrote:
This looks a very interesting restoration Roy and one which I will certainly be following!

Does this kit have much detail included such as full engine/transmission or is it just a rather large 'kerbside' model? I'm guessing one of your builds for this will be the blue and orange 'Gulf' sponsored 917?

Looking forward to seeing more of this Roy. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

It's basically a big resin blob with almost no 'real' detail. Totally kerbside.

No disrespect intended to the Mfr. but they really aren't good kits, especially considering the prices.
The masters are obviously made completely by hand and eye - the majority of parts aren't even symmetrical. I think they score because they produce kits of subjects you can't get anywhere else.
The finished models do look quite nice though.

This one will be the white Martini version.
roymattblack
#4 Posted : 11 March 2021 15:25:56

Three kits on the go now. A novelty for me.

All the broken areas are filled and rubbed down and now in white primer.

I'm going to have to copy all the other kit parts - wheels, tyres, interior, engine parts etc as well as vac form a new screen and light covers for the spare body to make a different version.
All good fun...Blink
P1019238.JPG
P1019243.JPG
kpnuts
#5 Posted : 11 March 2021 21:58:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ambitious Roy but knowing you it will be a master class in building.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 13 March 2021 10:27:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice result Roy, most people would have thrown it away.

Mark
roymattblack
#7 Posted : 14 March 2021 14:11:54

Thanks again chaps.

Yes Mark - a bit of a hopeless case but that makes it more fun.

After a fair bit of fine wet sanding, the body has a few coats of gloss white.
I need to take moulds now from many of the other components so I can build a different car using the spare body.
P1019249.JPG
P1019250.JPG
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 14 March 2021 14:46:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

And there you have it. Love Love You would never know, excellent result.Love Love

Mark
roymattblack
#9 Posted : 17 March 2021 20:37:27

Thanks Mark.
The 'bat wings' were missing from the kit so I had to fabricate my own.
Not a big deal, but also not yet actually fixed in place.
P1019258.JPG
roymattblack
#10 Posted : 27 April 2021 19:26:53

Well, this one has been on the back-burner for a while but it's now time to get it sorted.
Not a HUGE difference to see, but the blackened areas have been attended to.
Time to get this one on the grid...
P1019428.JPG
P1019429.JPG
kpnuts
#11 Posted : 27 April 2021 20:54:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work from the master.
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 28 April 2021 18:25:22

Many thanks Ken.

Well, I 'started' to put the numerous decals on only to find they turned to dust when they went in water.
2 days recreating an entire set of decals...
I think this one is going to fight me all the way.

Anyway - a beginning.
SOME of the decals applied.
P1019434.JPG
P1019435.JPG
P1019436.JPG
kpnuts
#13 Posted : 28 April 2021 22:07:11

Thats looking so good Roy
Markwarren
#14 Posted : 28 April 2021 22:49:05

Great work Roy in recreating those decals, looks like you’ve got a battle with this one. At least it’s you coming out on top.LOL

Mark
roymattblack
#15 Posted : 29 April 2021 08:15:22

Thanks chaps.

All the decals are on now. Just let it dry for 24 hrs then clear it all...BigGrin
P1019437.JPG
P1019438.JPG
Silent_Running
#16 Posted : 29 April 2021 13:08:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Roy,

This build is turning into a masterpiece of reconstruction, I'm loving what you're doing with this Porsche and if this build is fighting you, I'm sure you're loving every second of the challenge. Drool Drool Drool

roymattblack
#17 Posted : 30 April 2021 16:40:17

Thanks Glen.

The next part of this build is going to be somewhat slower, as I have a spare body shell that was sent to replace the badly broken one, which is the one I'm currently working on.
I'm going to make resin copies of the required parts so I can use the body to make a different car.
Not sure of the colour scheme yet but I'm thinking possibly Gulf.
P1019443.JPG
kpnuts
#18 Posted : 09 May 2021 15:51:16

Awesome work Roy
Silent_Running
#19 Posted : 09 May 2021 17:58:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

roymattblack wrote:
Many thanks Ken.

Well, I 'started' to put the numerous decals on only to find they turned to dust when they went in water.
2 days recreating an entire set of decals...
I think this one is going to fight me all the way.

Anyway - a beginning.
SOME of the decals applied.

It’s looking fabulous so far Roy, these decals are superb. If you don’t mind me asking, how do you create a set of decals, and will you be showing us how you’re going to mould the parts for the second Porsche?
Great stuff
Glenn BigGrin
roymattblack
#20 Posted : 10 May 2021 09:26:25

Hello Glenn.
Thanks for looking in.

I made the decals by using what was left of the original but useless sheet.
I scanned it into my PC and then used Paintshop pro and Serif Page Plus to 'draw' over the top of the art.
When I'd recreated everything I deleted the layer with the originals on it and printed the new layer onto clear and white decal film.
The large Martini oval logos were downloaded from Google images and resized to fit.

I've attached a reduced-size image of the decal sheet I created.

When I start making a second set of wheels and other parts for the other body, I'll posts details of how it's done.
DECALS small.jpg