Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Deadeye jig - Ply to PLA Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 14 March 2021 22:35:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

As a beginner to 3D printing and having just about got my head around the basics of the design process, I thought I`d try something a bit more complex.

I recently bought a ship modellers deadeye rigging jig made from ply (2mm thick) and wondered how well 3D printing could reproduce the same item.

Please note that this thread is just an explanation of how to change an item from being made in plywood to 3Dprinted PLA.

I have taken the measurements from the ply fret and made two of the twelve parts.

When/if I manage to make all the parts Blink , I have a plan to improve the strength/stability of the holding frame to avoid the overtightening of the rigging causing distortion issues of the jig.

If it all works then the only extra cost to me will be a square neck bolt, washer and wingnut.

The two parts made are not 100% bang on to the fret (99.9% Blushing ), but will not affect the operation of the jig.

So two pics:

1) The two parts laid on the fret.

2) The two parts laid in front of the ply jig.

Like I say this is the first attempt at something a little more than a basic shape, so will see how it comes out. Blink Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
20210314_181652.jpg
20210314_181044.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#2 Posted : 15 March 2021 09:20:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice one Derek, this will be much more sturdy. Cool

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 15 March 2021 12:56:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Interesting project Del. You'll have your own manufacturing process going on soon LOL BigGrin LOL
skyfire
#4 Posted : 15 March 2021 14:51:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Interesting project. :)

Look forward to seeing how it turns out. :)
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 15 March 2021 22:35:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Thanks to those who have looked in and those who left the nice comments. Cool

I`m not into this to make a penny profit, its just a new found interest that has peaked my interest and I`d like to share it. BigGrin

So today I made the next four parts. These are fixed either side of the first two parts. Obviously the slotted parts go either side of the first slotted parts and the same with the non-slotted parts.

I will do a construction of the full jig if/when I get all the parts made, but its looking good so far that I can complete the whole thing.Blink

Today`s progress is attached below.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20210315_211734.jpg

Gandale
#6 Posted : 16 March 2021 00:15:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A very interesting project to sink your teeth into Derek... Its only by trying these things out will you learn how to best adapt your new found skills.... The proof will be when you come to try it all out in a kind of functionality test and from what I'm seeing I think its going to work out very well indeed.... Very well done.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
tf64
#7 Posted : 16 March 2021 07:57:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Following this one Derek.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

delboy271155
#8 Posted : 16 March 2021 22:23:37

Thanks Alan/Trev for your comments, appreciated as always. Cool Cool Cool

Today I`ve made four more parts. The great thing with this 3D printing thing is that if you need four identical parts (as in this case) you design one and load it four times into the slicer programme prior to printing and its job done. Four identical parts.ThumpUp ThumpUp

So ten parts down and two to go, then I can make my own extra parts to improve the design, so that when in use the jig will be more stable.

Pic 1: the four new parts

Pic 2: the ten out of twelve parts made so far.

So far an enjoyable project that has enhanced my understanding of 3D printing. May have to find something more technical for the next idea/project. Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20210316_202833.jpg
20210316_202748.jpg

goddo
#9 Posted : 17 March 2021 11:18:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Nice work Derek.
It looks as if you are well on the way to a successful bit of kit there.
I've often though about 3d printing but never got any further than just thinking.
Keep it going.
Chris
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 23 March 2021 15:50:50

Thanks for looking in Goddo. BigGrin

So here`s the next update on the "Deadeye" jig.

I`ve now printed the last two main parts of the jig. (arrowed in the first pic)

The first pic shows the parts for one half of the jig and the second pic shows the other half.

You will note from the pics that the ply version has a measurement scale on it, where the 3D printed version does not. The reason will become apparent when I`ve assembled the jig parts and made the additional parts I will be printing.

More on that later.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20210322_214638.jpg
20210322_214320.jpg

Markwarren
#11 Posted : 24 March 2021 10:03:42

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looks superb Derek.Love Love Looking forward to seeing it assembled.

You’ve certainly got that printer whirling away nicely.Cool

Mark
delboy271155
#12 Posted : 24 March 2021 17:11:16

Hi Mark, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and your comments, appreciated as always.Cool

Yep the printer is getting more use and I`m finding myself looking about for future projects.

You never know, in those immortal words of a much more famous "Delboy" ......

"This time next year I could be a MILLIONAIRE"

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#13 Posted : 06 April 2021 16:57:41

Hi All, BigGrin

Having reproduced all the parts of the jig, I have turned my attention to the spacers so you can get a bigger gap between the dead eyes.

Pic 1: Shows the original plywood jig. Two red circles show where the deadeyes would sit and three black lines show the rigging thread. My concern was that if you pulled the rigging thread too tight you could put too much pressure on the jig as shown by the direction of the yellow arrows.

So my solution was to make solid spacers to stop the possibility of bending/snapping the central parts of the jig.

I calculated that there would be a need for 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm, 10mm and 20mm spacers so that with a combination of various spacers you could make any distance from 10mm to 40mm between two deadeyes.

Pic 2: Shows the spacers in their usable orientation.

Pic 3: Shows the spacers with their size numbers visible.

Pics 4 and 5: Show the 5mm and 20mm spacers in use.

Any questions, then with my limited knowledge of 3D printing I`ll try to help with an answer.

This has been a fun project in my learning curve to 3D printing.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
d2.jpg

Markwarren
#14 Posted : 06 April 2021 22:14:53

What an ingenious creation. Love Dragons Den here I come.Flapper

Mark
Gandale
#15 Posted : 06 April 2021 23:06:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Watch it Derek, carry on like this and you'll become a Techie Geek.....LOL LOL LOL ... Look good bud.....

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#16 Posted : 07 April 2021 16:22:18

Thanks Mark and Alan for your comments. Appreciated as always. Cool Cool

Next job is to assemble the new PLA printed jig.

As I`ve not perfected the art of 3D printing nuts and bolts (Yet) I`m waiting for a couple to arrive to complete the jig and then there`s a bit of a surprise coming. You`ll see what that is when it happens. (Will only be a short wait - I hope).

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#17 Posted : 16 April 2021 16:03:59

Well here`s the final episode from me. BigGrin

Pic 1: the construction begins with the three centre plates from each end glued together. (Super glue works just fine)

Pic 2: two long plates that hold the two ends together and two top side plates added.

Pic 3: Added the sliding end of the jig (not gluedLOL )

Pic 4: Blushing Blushing found an error in my measurements. A 1mm slip in the measurements for the slots, so the moving end of the jig sits 1mm higher than it should. I`ve left it as is, as I don`t think it will make a noticeable difference and it can be adjusted in the design stage if I were to ever print another one.

Pic 5: completed assembly with the 20mm spacer in situ.

Pic 6: nicely accurate. 20mm spacer and the the two 5mm vertical plates = 30mm.

Pic 7: all the included spacers.

So, apart from the small error in the slot location that`s a jig transformed from ply to PLA filament 3D printed.

The completed item is now on its way for an independent review from one of our forum ship builders, who has told me that a review will be posted.

I don`t have a ship at the rigging stage to test it, so I await the review with interest.

So that concludes my Ply to PLA test.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
20210415_152323.jpg
20210415_160847.jpg
20210415_161238.jpg
20210415_161909.jpg
20210415_162334_000.jpg
20210415_162623.jpg
20210415_165905.jpg

Markwarren
#18 Posted : 17 April 2021 08:55:40

Nice work Derek. Love Love The prototype is alway unique. Most of what I had designed and printed have been fine to use, but I have also made changes in the design of most of them should I print them again.

Looking forward to your next invention.Laugh

Mark

Gandale
#19 Posted : 17 April 2021 08:59:12

Very well done Derek...Drool Drool .. Always good to see a project come to a successful conclusion... Now go expand on those new found skills.....BigGrin BigGrin ..

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#20 Posted : 18 April 2021 21:01:07

Hi all, BigGrin

Thanks to Mark and Alan for your comments and to all those who took the time to look in. Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)