Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<1516171819>
Official HMS Bounty Build by tenderfoot Options
tenderfoot
#321 Posted : 16 November 2021 02:08:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Next up is the intricate work at the bow and stem. However, Thanksgiving is upon us in just a few days so I may not have an update until after that. In the meantime I wish the best to everyone and am very grateful for all your support, kind words, and the community that lurks throughout this forum. Sit back, relax, enjoy your model building, and see you in a few days.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#322 Posted : 28 November 2021 19:18:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The details at the bow are not terribly difficult since the laser cut pieces do fit quite nicely and only need a small amount of shaping. Kudos to the manufacturer!

The first step in the instructions calls for widening the hole in the stem to a height of 3mm. However, I found that on my stem the laser cut hole was already 3mm so I figured the manufacturer had corrected the error in production. What I did not do was consider why the hole needed to be widened. I soon found out.

First were the lower pieces that dress the bow to the stem. The piece against the bow only needed a slight bit of shaping to ensure it sat flush and proper. The smaller piece glued right into place. As always, I carefully removed the char on all edges. Once I had the two pieces glued into place I then sanded them slowly until I had one uniform piece.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_0635.jpg
IMG_0636.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
delboy271155
#323 Posted : 29 November 2021 19:53:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s some well executed detail work. WTG

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tenderfoot
#324 Posted : 02 December 2021 00:10:25

delboy271155 wrote:
That`s some well executed detail work. WTG

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thank you Derek for the compliment and visiting this log.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#325 Posted : 02 December 2021 00:14:04

The upper bow details were next and I followed the exact same process as I did on the lower details. I shaped the piece that attaches to the bow so that it fit snuggly against the bow and the stem. Then I attacked the extension that runs up the stem. After the glue had dried I then sanded everything to it all fit nice and cleanly. You can see on the stem where I was a bit free with my sandpaper and accidentally rubbed off some of the poly. It is an easy thing to correct...just need to rub some more back on once I have all the pieces in place in this area.

Of course, I repeated the process for this and the previous step on the other side of the stem. Be very careful to line things up symmetrically. I get down to eye level with the work and look at it form all different angles. You will be surprised how well your mere eyesight will detect even the slightest bit of misalignment between the two sides.

You will also notice that the extension piece on the top that runs up the stem pokes out above the curve of the stem just slightly towards the top. I am not sure if this is how it should be. However, I decided against trying to bend the piece as the direction of the grain meant it would likely just break. I also decided against sanding it down to match the curve of the stem as that would make the tip a bit too narrow for my taste. I am not bothered with it as it is so I left it alone. Of course, you do what you think is right for your build...that's one of the best things about these projects...they are uniquely yours!
IMG_0637.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#326 Posted : 02 December 2021 00:28:40

The next piece at the bow is where the anchor ropes rub against. These pieces take quite of bit of careful shaping to ensure the rest tightly against the bow. I did not choose to bend these as they are too small and would likely result in my burning my fingers rather than succeeding at bending the piece. Instead, I carefully sanded and dry fit the piece over and over and over again until it fit wonderfully. I tried to take images that capture the complex curvature needed for these pieces.

After attaching the piece to the bow and letting the glue dry completely it was time to drill the holes for the anchor ropes. In the instructions these holes are drilled into the bow much earlier in the process. However, as I have mentioned previously, I prefer to read way ahead in the instructions for any build I am on in order to fully understand what pieces go where and the resulting dependencies on other steps and pieces. Because of previous builds I was aware that there was likely some sort of piece that went at the bow when I reached the step in the instructions that called for drilling the anchor holes. I also knew that it was very unlikely that I would get the hole in the exact spot it needed to be to line up with this piece. So I opted instead to wait until I had this piece in place and then drill the hole.

To drill the hole I first made a pilot hole with a smaller bit to ensure accurate placement. This also gave me a bit of wiggle room on where the drill bit exited the interior of the hole. Because I used a small bit for the pilot hole, if I did, for some reason, manage to be off on the angle the smaller hole would be much easier to cover up and/or correct. Once I had the pilot hole drilled I then followed up with the proper sized bit and finished the job. You can see in the images below the angle needed on my guild for the anchor hole to exit at the proper location on the interior of the hull.

Finally, I painted these pieces black because I wanted to. I think it works with my overall color scheme.

I then repeated this process on the opposing side, ensuring things lined up symmetrically.
IMG_0645.jpg
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0643.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#327 Posted : 02 December 2021 00:39:33

The top pieces that extend from the cathead to the stem were next. These are very delicate so careful handling is required the entire time.

I decided to give a bit more dimension to these instead of the simple laser burn that delineated the top and bottom edge from the center section. To do this I took a brand new blade and carefully carved out the middle area, using the laser lines as a guide. Took it nice and slow and never tried to carve out too much wood at once. Towards the narrower end I basically used a scrapping action. This was slow going but eventually resulted in success without breaking the piece.

I then applied some black paint to the center area. I did not tape off the outer edges, but was very careful in how I applied the paint. And for those spots where I did go out of the lines just a bit I simply sanded away resulting in a nice clean look fairly easily.
IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0655.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#328 Posted : 02 December 2021 00:46:45

The support beams for those delicate pieces were next up. Simply remove these from the template and clean the char on all edges. Then glue into place.

I wasn't quite sure where these should get positioned exactly and instead deduced the best I could from the instructions. It would have been super helpful to have at least one full sized printout of the model for reference for these types of situations. Regardless, in the end it was a balance of what I thought it should be and what I thought just looked pleasant. The final result looked good to me so I am happy with it.

In a nutshell, I basically installed these at roughly 90 degrees to the delicate pieces and spaced them evenly along the length of the smaller pieces. If anyone know the proper placement, please share. I am happy with it as is and won't change it, but it would be good info for others and for future reference.
IMG_0656.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#329 Posted : 03 December 2021 00:04:52

Time for the bottom detail pieces at the bow. I followed the exact same process as I described for the top pieces. If you placed the support beams properly on each side then these pieces should fit nicely into place. There is an ever so slight curve that is needed so you may need to hold these in place until the glue sets enough.

Then the final test...does it all line up symmetrically? I got down to eye level with the bow and looked at it from several angles and mostly head on. I am very pleased with the end result.
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#330 Posted : 03 December 2021 00:17:54

I mentioned a few posts back that the hole in the stem appeared, after measuring, to be the width that the instructions called for. However, it turns out I was either mistaken or the kit has changed slightly since the instructions were written. Because the hole in my stem was to the dimension in the instructions I think it may honestly be the kit has been updated; however, as anyone who has been reading this log knows...I am prone to mistakes.

Either way, it turns out I need to open up the hole in the stem wider than what it is. In the images below I roughly indicate where the top trim piece lays against the stem and it illustrates how this piece covers the hole. I also include an image that shows how the hole needs to extend below the top trim piece. This is necessary so you can run some roping through the hole when you attach the bowsprit in a later step. Now that I have all the trim pieces in place I need to figure out how I want to approach this. I do not want to remove any pieces as they are extremely delicate and I want to instead figure out how to safely widen the hole or, another possibility, to carve away just enough of the top trim piece to allow the bowsprit ropes to go through.

It isn't urgent that I figure this out now, just need to do so before I run the ropes so I will ponder on this for a while.
IMG_0635-a.jpg
IMG_0635-b.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

delboy271155
#331 Posted : 04 December 2021 11:24:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent work and thoroughly deserving of the "Build of the month".

Congrats on the award and your "Green" medal.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tenderfoot
#332 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:04:48

delboy271155 wrote:
Excellent work and thoroughly deserving of the "Build of the month".

Congrats on the award and your "Green" medal.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thank you Derek for the kind words. It is kinda nice to see a new medal under my name Cool
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#333 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:33:43

The rudder was assembled way back in one of the early months of the build. Now it is time to get it prepped and attached to the stern.

Bending the hinges is not difficult, but you definitely need to anneal the brass before hand if you want to enjoy beautiful results. Annealing will help you to get cleaner, straighter, and tighter bends in the metal. I went ahead and bent each hinge per the instructions for the ones that go on the rudder. I was sure to dry fit each hinge to make sure it fit properly. The very top hinge, in my case, needed to be trimmed ever so slightly to prevent it from extended beyond the rear of the rudder (shown with a pink circle in the image below).

Once I had all the hinges to my liking I glued them into place and painted them black following my standard method described in previous posts. Then I bent the hinges that attach to the stern into shape and dry fit each of those. Once again, the top-most hinge needed to be trimmed just a wee bit to prevent it from bumping up against the stern framing (shown with a pink circle in the image below).

I did not attach the hinges to the stern at his point. Instead, I added the hinge pin for each on the rudder section per the instructions. Then I carefully slid each stern hinge over its corresponding hinge pin on the rudder. The end result was the rudder with hinges all attached as shown in the image below. I used a very, very small dollop of wood glue to temporarily hold the stern hinge on each hinge pin. Without this they tend to flop around and fall off too often. However, it is such little glue that I can easily release it once I have the rudder in place.

Next, and after a few more dry fits to calm my nerves, I went ahead and glued the entire rudder assembly into place. Wanting symmetry to be as accurate as possible I got down to eye level and ensured things aligned port to starboard as accurately as I could make them. Once the glue had dried I gave the rudder a carefully little twist back and forth to release the small amount of glue holding the hinges on the hinge pin.
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0669.jpg
IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0670-b.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#334 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:39:49

With the rudder in place it was now time to attach the tiller. I cleaned up the char from the edges and gave everything a nice sanding prior to applying some wipe-on poly. Once the poly had dried I predrilled the four holes for the eyebolts and then glued the eyebolts into place. The entire assembly then nicely fit into place, glue into the notch in the rudder. Pay careful attention to keep the rudder straight and aligned with the keel and stern while positioning the tiller. This will help ensure that once you center the tiller the rudder will be centered as well.
IMG_0671.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#335 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:49:06

So I am finding out this is where I seem to differ from many modelers. The canons arrived over four different months and the instructions called for assembly of them as they arrived. I actually prefer to do things like this all at the same time. For me, it helps to ensure a consistent look across all of them, plus I really enjoy the methodical repetition...I know...it is strange to some.

Regardless, here we are ready to attach the canons to the deck so it is time for me to build them. I got all the piece free from the templates and carefully cleaned up all the char on all pieces. Then I started assembly per the instructions. I took care to not have any excess glue showing as I am only going to be applying wipe on poly on these along with just a tad bit of black paint in some areas.

Things went smoothly albeit they took me quite a bit of time.
IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0549.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#336 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:53:57

One quick post here to point out a very small modification for the canons. Each side/cheek of the canon had very small laser engraving that simulated the hardware holding the wood together. Because these are so small I did not think the laser marking would show up much, if at all once on the deck of the ship. So I decided to exaggerate them just a bit and drilled them out with a small drill bit.

You may notice in the photo that I drilled all the way through is a few cases, but now worries. After a bit of sanding these spots will not be visible to anyone once the canon is actually in place.
IMG_0552.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#337 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:59:46

After test fitting a barrel to the canon assembly it became apparent that a bit of work needed to be done to the front of the base. You can see in the image below where the barrel of the canon rests on the front face of the base assembly and prevents the barrel from resting down into the notches on each cheek. To get around this I carefully carved away a bit of the face to allow the canon to settle further down. Once I had this done I finished up the wood assemblies by putting on the wheels and wheel pins.

For the wheel pins I gave up on the teeny tiny bits provided with the kit...those brass bits were just too small for my chubby fingers. Instead, I used some black monofilament fishing line, cut appropriate lengths for the pins, and glued them into place.

Finally, all the bases were complete and as seen in the image below, the barrel rests nicely within its notches.
IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#338 Posted : 08 December 2021 00:07:17

Next, I went back and cleaned everything up a bit more with some fine grit sandpaper. Then I applied a coat of wipe-on poly to the entire base assembly and let it dry. Once it was dry I drilled two holes towards the rear for the eyebolts and let those dry thoroughly.

While everything was drying I went ahead and painted the barrels black. Once the black dried I went back and picked out some highlights with gun metal. I then glued the barrel into place.
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#339 Posted : 08 December 2021 00:13:12

The cap pieces that hold the barrel in place are really tiny. I mean really, really tiny. But not so small that they are unmanageable. After annealing and some careful bending I had them the proper shape. I left them unpainted at this point since they were so small. I glued them in place and once the glue had dried I went back and painted them black.

I also applied a strip of black paint to each wheel to mimic the metal strapping. I did this freehand, but if I had it to do over again I would likely tape things off. They didn't turn out too bad but I sure wish they were a bit more consistent. Not going to worry about it.
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg
IMG_0738.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#340 Posted : 08 December 2021 00:25:51

Finally! Time for some rigging!

The instructions call for brass wire to create the loop and hook for the blocks. However, since I am going with black throughout this build and not showing any brass I decided to use annealed black wire instead. This is available at most hardware stores in the picture hanging section. The best part is the wire is already annealed so you can go straight to cutting and bending. However, be sure the package you grab states it is annealed. If it doesn't state it, then it isn't annealed.

I first cut a proper length of wire and added a full twist to it at the center. I did this by simply wrapping the wire around a 1mm drill bit. I then added a couple partial bends just outside the loop. This creates a little nest for the block to rest in.

It is then a matter of holding your block in place and bending the legs of the wire around the rest of the block. Once you reach the opposing side you should cross the two legs and then, with a pair of small needle nose pliers, twist the legs around each other for a half turn. I prefer a half turn (each leg ends up point in the opposite direction than when I started) as opposed to a full turn (the legs end up point in the same direction from whence they started). A full turn tends to be too bulky at this scale whereas a half turn seems, visually, just about right.

Once the half turn is complete I snipped off one leg and then wrapped the remaining leg around a 1.5mm drill bit to create a loop. I then cut the loop to create the hook. Be certain you cut the correct part of the loop. I can't tell you how many times I have cursed because I cut the wrong end, the entire hook falls off, and I am starting over on that block.

You will need to create a total of 8 single blocks in this manner. Then you will need to create a total of 8 double blocks in basically the same way except you do not need to create the initial loop at one end. The double blocks only have a hook.

Also note, I did not use the block provided with the kit. This was simply a personal preference and the block provided would have been fine. However, I have a large assortment of really nice quality blocks that I prefer to use on my builds and so I went with those. For me, the block become a fine detail that draws viewers attention so I always like to use the best blocks I can get my hands on for any build I am working on.
IMG_0735.jpg
IMG_0737.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: