Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<16171819>
Official HMS Bounty Build by tenderfoot Options
tenderfoot
#341 Posted : 08 December 2021 00:37:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Trying to run lines through blocks once a cannon has been fixed into place has proven to be difficult for me over the years. I have found that it is much easier for me to get as much of the rigging complete as possible for the cannons prior to installing on a deck.

I cut an appropriate length of rope and tied one end to the loop on the single block with a single half hitch. I then wrapped the tail of the line back to the main part of the line with several loops of some dark brown line that I have. I know there is a term for doing this, but I cannot think of it to save my life right now. I then glued that section and once the glue was dry I trimmed the tail piece of the line.

Next, I pulled the main part of the line through the double block, back through the single block, and through the double block once again. I repeated this 7 more times until I had a total of eight sets of rigging. I then attached the single block to each eyebolt on a cannon. In the end I had 4 cannons all rigged and ready to install.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_0744.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#342 Posted : 08 December 2021 00:49:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I glued each cannon into position taking careful note to check the position of each from multiple angles, especially from outboard. I hung the ends of the rigging rope over the sides to keep them out of the way.

While the glue was drying I created a small right using a piece of scrap wood and several nails. I paired two nails a few mm apart and did this eight times. I then cut a piece of rope the same scale as the rope used for the cannon rigging and taped one end to the scrap wood. I then wrapped the rope around the two nails 4 times and then taped the remaining end to the scrap wood as well. Once I had done this process eight times (I had eight sets of nails in the scrap wood) I then applied a coat of watered down wood glue (approximately 30 percent glue and 70 percent water) and let that dry thoroughly. Once dried I was able to easily free the rope loops from the jig yet the loops were able to retain their shape. Also, I choose to use watered down wood glue as opposed to CA glue because CA glue tends to make the rope not only discolored but also brittle...I just don't like the look of rigging with CA glue so I avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

Once I had all 8 sets of rope free from the jig I went ahead and snipped one tail nice and close so you couldn't see the end of it. I snipped the other tail with a little length left on it. I then glued each one into its appropriate place on the deck near the cannons.

Finally, I took the long remaining lengths of rigging on the cannons and cut them so the ends would rest nicely within the piles of rope I just glued to the deck. The end result is the rigging looks like it goes through the wood blocks, comes down to the deck, and forms several loops before terminating in a small bit sticking out from the rope pile.
IMG_0751.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#343 Posted : 08 December 2021 00:53:53

Quick little post...I realized I had forgotten to put the bolt in the cathead supports, so I took the opportunity to do it. I simply drilled a hole in the appropriate place, once again, using a very small drill bit for a pilot hole since it is much easier to get exact positioning with a small bit. I then followed up with a larger bit and then finally glued a nail into place on each cathead support.
IMG_0734.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#344 Posted : 08 December 2021 01:04:45

Time to complete the ship's wheel and all the rigging that exists between the wheel and the tiller.

To start, I followed the same process as I did on preparing the block for the cannons, I took the annealed black wire and created 10 single blocks with hooks.

Next, I cut a piece of 8mm wooden dowel as instructed. I glued it onto the wheel and then test fit it. It took several attempts at fitting, sanding, and repeating until I had a very nice fit. I then glued the assembly into the supports of the wheel.

Because we need to wrap a rope around the ship's wheel we cannot simply pre rig everything prior to installing on the ship. So it was time to get to it. I started by tying two half hitches on the stern most eyebolt on the tiller's port side. I would then thread the rope through the first 5 blocks and then hook each of those blocks into place following the "connect the dots" format in the instructions.

Next, I did four loops around the ship's wheel. I am not certain how many there should be for historical accuracy, so I just went with what I thought was pleasing to the eye. Once I had the loops completed I threaded the end of the rope through the next five blocks and then hooked those into place per the instructions.

Finally, I used some tweezers and carefully pulled the rope taught, but not too much, and carefully positions the blocks so they looked natural. I worked my way around from the first block, tweaked the loops on the wheel, and through to the final block. Then I tied the end of the rope off on the last eyebolt on the starboard side of the tiller with two half hitches. I gave everything one last look over to ensure it was as it should be and then I applied some watered down wood glue to each of the knots on the tiller.

Once the glue on the know had completely dried I simply trimmed the ends and the rigging for this section was complete.
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0758.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#345 Posted : 08 December 2021 01:08:58

Rigging the launch to the deck was quite simple. Simple cut two lengths of .5mm line and tie per the instructions. I used two half hitches at each end and carefully pulled the line taught...but again not so tight that it puts any strain on the launch or the loops. A dab of watered down wood glue on each know, let it dry a bit, and then snip off the ends. That's all there is to it.
IMG_0763.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#346 Posted : 13 December 2021 23:57:55

Note: The stern lanterns are to be installed at this point in the build, according to the instructions. However, because they are extremely delicate, and there is still some solid work to be done on this thing, I have chosen to leave these as the very last thing to do. This way there is no chance that I accidentally break them while trying to finish up the build. I will have a post on these at the very end.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#347 Posted : 14 December 2021 00:38:02

To create the mizzen mast we use a 6mm dowel and cut to the length specified in the instructions. I eyeballed the angle of the cut at the top. Then, I carefully carved the bottom section as instructed so the mast would slide into the mast base in the hull of the ship. Finally, just a bit of sanding to smooth everything out and the mast slid right into place.
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0771.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#348 Posted : 15 December 2021 00:41:31

The main mast is made with a 10mm dowel cut to the specified length. Again, I eyeballed the angle at the top end (around 60 degrees) and then carefully carved the square bit on the bottom end with a sharp blade. After sanding the entire thing with 320 grit I then marked the location for each metal ring.

To determine where to place the metal rings I first made a tick mark for the bottom most one as indicated in the instructions. The mark I made indicated the bottom of the ring. I did this in pencil and made the mark very light and small...just enough so I could see it when gluing the ring in place.

The instructions call for a distance of 18mm between rings. Because each ring is 2mm thick this meant there was 20mm between the bottoms of each ring (bottom to bottom). So I then made 5 more tick marks, each one 20mm further up the mast from the previous one. I purposely make these marks at the bottom of the ring since, once assembled, it would not be visible from the admirers perspective, but it is visible when positioning the rings for glueing in place.
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0790.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#349 Posted : 15 December 2021 00:47:18

For the rings you must first anneal the brass. To form the shape I wrapped each one around the scrap piece of 10mm dowel - the cutoff from the mast. This got met about 90 percent of the loop. I then used a pair of needle nose pliers and carefully finished off the loop and tried to make the circle as near perfect as I could. I then glued the two ends together.

Once the glue dried I went ahead and painted the loops, but did not paint the inside surface. This way it would adhere better to the mast. Finally, it was simple matter of sliding the loop over the mast, getting it near its final resting place, applying a small bit of glue and positioning right on the tick mark.
IMG_0791.jpg
IMG_0792.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#350 Posted : 15 December 2021 00:56:16

I then sanded the base piece per the instructions, being sure to remove all the char. A test fit of the mast and it slid into place rather smoothly, so I glued it and the base piece into place.

The fore mast is nearly a replica of the main mast except you need a 8mm dowel and only 5 rings (the main mast had 6). Once both masts were in place and the glue had dried I went ahead and applied a coat of wipe on poly. I also applied a coat of poly to the mizzen mast since I had forgotten to do it earlier.
IMG_0803.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#351 Posted : 15 December 2021 01:11:23

The bowsprit was considerably more difficult than the masts. The instructions don't clearly indicated this, but you will need to carve the knight heads to allow for the bowsprit to slide between them and into the pintail on the deck. I used a round needle file to carefully open up the proper locations on the knight heads, checking often with a scrap piece of wood 8mm wood dowel - the piece remaining from the foremast. Once I had it where the dowel could fit through snuggly I then cleaned up the area a bit and applied some stain. I did this to ensure no bare wood would be visible should any section show between the knight head and the bowsprit.

Next, I took an 8mm dowel and first started carving the base where it slides into the pintail. This is quite tricky, at least for me. It took a couple tries, and I figured it would, which is why I did this part prior to cutting the bowsprit to length. On the third attempt I got it pretty close. In the image below you can see how it slides through the pin rail and even a slight bit beyond on the other side. This was by design so I could then sand it back to be perfect.

Happy with how my third attempt turned out I then cut the bowsprit to length, being sure to include a 45 degree angle at the fore end. I then sanded it with some 320 grit, applied some wipe on poly, and glued the mast into place. Once the glue had dried I sanded the base where it met with the pin rail and then applied some wipe on poly to touch up that area.
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0808.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#352 Posted : 15 December 2021 01:19:37

If you recall, on an earlier post I mentioned that I needed to open up the hole in the stem to allow for the bowsprit rope to pass under the decorative bits. Guess it is time to tackle that.

I used a 1.5mm drill bit and put a hole through the stem from port to starboard. I made a second hole a few mm away, basically the two endpoint for the hole I needed. I then took a sharp blade and carefully removed the bit of wood remaining between the two holes. A bit of clean up and it was ready. Now I can move onto the bowsprit ropes.
IMG_0819.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#353 Posted : 15 December 2021 01:28:51

Using a .5mm piece of rope I wrapped it around the bowsprit and the stem about 8 times. This was a bit tricky as the rope kept wanting to overlap itself. I ended up doing the 8 wraps rather loosely and then came back and slowly tightened things up nice and neatly. Because the rope wants to slide back towards the bow of the ship I used a small bit of watered down wood glue applied to the top of the first loop (the loop closest to the bow) and let it dry a bit...just enough so it would hold. Then fixing up the rest of the loops was quite easy.

While holding the rope in place I went ahead and applied more glue to the top area, being sure to get every loop of rope nicely covered with watered down wood glue. I then let that dry enough so it would hold on its own - about 15 minutes of just sitting there holding the rope in place. Sounds easy, but after just a couple minutes one gets really tired of holding something.

Each end of rope was still loose and had plenty of slack remaining. I had each of these ends terminating in the mid section of the loops so I could then use them to wrap around horizontally. I made 5 or 6 horizontal loops and then tied the ends off at the rear of the lashings to hide the know. I then applied some watered down glue to hold the know, and applied some around the horizontal lashings to hold everything in place. Once the glue dried I trimmed the two loose ends.
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0825.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#354 Posted : 15 December 2021 01:38:02

There is a bit of work needed in order to slide the belaying pins into place. The laser cut holes are just a bit too small and you definitely do not want to try and force the pins into those holes. There is such a thin layer of wood grain between the holes and the face of the pin rails. If you force the belaying pins into place with much more than a simple tap then you are likely to break the pin rail.

To correct this I took a drill and opened up each hole in the pintail until the belaying pins were able to slide in fairly easily. They didn't rest in the hole loosely and instead fit just barely snug. Enough so that no glue is needed. It was then a matter of putting each pin into place. Be extra careful with the pins at the end of each pin rail...the pin rail is extra, extra thin in these spots and can very easily break.

There wasn't really much to this step, but it is a satisfying one. Something about seeing the belaying pins in place make the deck look complete. Not much more to do and this build is done. I took several random shots across the deck showing some of the various pin rails with belaying pins in place.
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0818.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#355 Posted : 15 December 2021 12:43:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Looks great, really enjoying watching this come together.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tenderfoot
#356 Posted : 20 December 2021 17:10:20

Gibbo wrote:
Looks great, really enjoying watching this come together.

Thank you for following this build. Great to have you onboard.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#357 Posted : 20 December 2021 17:15:22

Rigging and installing the anchors takes several steps. First of which is attaching the ring. There are a couple of these provided in the kit and it is a simple matter of opening them up just enough to slide them through the hole in the top of the anchor and then closing them back up again.

Serving the ring is next. This does take some time and dexterity. Each one took me about 45 minutes. Every ten loops or so I would place a small dab of watered down wood glue. This helped to hold the line in place as it tended to want to unravel and lap over itself if I did not glue it occasionally.

Each serving started with a square know and finished with a square knot. Once I had both served I went back and thoroughly covered each serving with some more watered down wood glue and let it dry completely. Then I trimmed the excess line at each end.
IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0848.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#358 Posted : 20 December 2021 17:32:28

Now we need to lash the main anchor rope to the ring. Using the large rope supplied with the kit I created a loop through the ring and then tied that loop into place with a long piece of .5mm line. I used a simple square know for this, being sure that I ended up with two fairly equal lengths of line at each end of the know.

It is important to have enough line at each end to finish up the lashing and in my experience it is much easier to work with a line that is more than long enough for the job. It is extremely difficult to try to wrap and tie lines when you have very little to work with.

Once I had the square know tightened and the loop around the ring at the size I wanted I then took one end of the line and created a loop back along the main anchor rope. Next, I took the other end of the line and wrapped it around the loop I just created 6 or 7 times. I am not sure if there is a real world number of times to do this and I simply did enough loops so that it was visually pleasing to me.

After 6 or 7 loops I then pull the rest of the looped end through the remaining eye - this is the end of the loop that I created earlier. Finally, I gently tug at both ends to pull everything tight and adjust as I ago along to ensure everything nestles properly into place. I also pull until the eye ends up under the loops. This helps lock everything into place.

I then apply some watered down wood glue and let the whole thing dry thoroughly. When it is dry I trim the excess ends.

The second lashing is done in the exact same way minus the initial square know.

You may notice the tiny little blotches of red on the finished lashings. This is because I accidentally caught myself with the blade when trimming the loose ends. I don't know about others, but I tend to always leave some bio-marker behind on every build I do. It used to bother me, but now I simply view it as my signature of sorts. Maybe in a thousand years when a future archeologist digs this ship out of the ground they can trace it back to me and get it into the hands of my descendants. BigGrin
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0856.jpg
IMG_0858.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#359 Posted : 20 December 2021 17:44:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Nicely done, leaving a bit of DNA behind makes it truly yours.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tenderfoot
#360 Posted : 20 December 2021 17:46:05

Time to serve a line on the cathead. Using 5mm line I looped one end through the eye in the cathead and then created a single lashing. To do this I followed the exact same process as I did with lashing the anchor line except only using a single lashing in this instance. I then applied some watered down wood glue to the lashing and let it dry.

While the lashing was drying I went ahead and put the double block together. The kit provided us with two pre-fabricated hooks as part of the brass pieces. After cleaning these up and annealing them I was able to easily bend them around the double block. I then applied some black paint to the brass. As this is a fairly large block I wanted to give it a bit of realism, so I also drilled two additional holes to simulate what a real block would look like. Then I added a very small amount of black paint to simulate the wheels of the block.

Finally, after trimming the loose ends of the lashing I went ahead and wove the line through the block and the cathead as indicated in the instructions.
IMG_0859.jpg
IMG_0857.jpg
IMG_0860.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: