Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<171819
Official HMS Bounty Build by tenderfoot Options
tenderfoot
#361 Posted : 20 December 2021 17:51:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

I then lashed the anchor to the post on the railing per the instructions. Then I adjusted the tension on the line with the double block until the anchor was in a position that looked correct. Once I had everything positioned as I wanted I then applied a dab of watered down wood glue to the lashing on the neck of the anchor and also to the winds of rope on the cleat at the base of the cathead.

Once the glue had dried I trimmed the loose ends at the neck of the anchor. For the end of the rope at the base of the cathead I made sure to leave just a small bit of length when I trimmed it. I will then come back to this later and glue a pile of rope on top of it - similar to what we did for the cannons.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_0828.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#362 Posted : 20 December 2021 18:00:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The main anchor line is fairly stiff and difficult to get into nice curves when dry. So I first applied a bit of water to the length of the line to make it much more pliable. I then pulled one end through the bow anchor hole and towards the winch. Then there were three loops around the winch and down through the hole in the deck. I did not trim any rope at this point.

I then adjust everything so I had what I though was a nice length of rope at the exterior of the bow, hanging in a smooth fashion, and applied some watered down wood glue to the loops on the winch. Then I sat there for about 10 minutes watching some garbage TV as I let that glue dry enough to hold the loops in place. I also applied a dab of glue where the rope passes through the bow. This will help to ensure the rope doesn't pull itself inward and downward onto the deck and instead makes sure that it retains the nice look all along and outside the bow.

I let the whole thing dry overnight and the next day I trimmed the rope where it goes through the deck. The instructions call for creating a pile of rope to be placed on the lower deck and have the anchor rope go through the deck and into the pile. I wish I had thought of this earlier and would have placed these piles of rope prior to closing up the decking and planking. Now I just did not see a way to do it. And, even when shining a light into the hull there just isn't enough visibility for this to matter to me. So I instead chose to forgo this park and simply trimmed the ends of the rope so they would go through the deck, but not hand obnoxiously into the lower deck area.
IMG_0880.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0878.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#363 Posted : 20 December 2021 18:05:11

To finish up the work on the anchors we need to add the coils of rope at the base of the catheads. Same as I did for the cannons, I created a small jig and wrapped some 5mm line about four times around. I then covered them with some watered down wood glue and let them dry thoroughly.

Once dry, I trimmed the loose ends being sure to leave one end just slightly longer and protruding. You want to be sure you leave the opposing end on the other rope. This way, once in place, each loop terminates facing outboard. I then glued each coil into place.
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#364 Posted : 20 December 2021 18:10:26

As you saw with the canons, I prefer to do similar tasks at the same time. So I saved all the culverins and assembled them at this point. Before applying any paint I carefully cleaned up each part and also gave them a short bath in some white vinegar.

To paint these small bits I placed them on the adhesive side of some painters tape. I do not press them into place and instead prefer to just let the small bit of friction from just the weight of the piece and the adhesive do its thing. it is just enough to hold them steady while paint is applied and still allows for them to be moved/flipped over very easily when the time comes.

Once all pieces were painted I assembled all 10 per the instructions.
IMG_0861.jpg
IMG_0862.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#365 Posted : 20 December 2021 18:15:15

It was then a simple matter of glueing each culverins into place. As for positioning, I just positioned each in a manner that I thought was visually pleasing. I am guessing, in real life, these things would have been pointing downwards when not in use. However, I just liked the look of them pointing horizontally as though they were ready for battle...it just ads a bit of visual excitement to a transport ship. This process is really straight forward so I just attached a few images to show them in place.
IMG_0867.jpg
IMG_0868.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#366 Posted : 20 December 2021 18:26:55

Wow! So close to being done with this build...the time went so quickly.

I purposely left the stern lanterns until the very end, or in this case, second to last. Before adding the masthead I want to get these things into place.

I carefully bent each arm as needed and marked where to drill holes on the stern. Then I glued each arm into place and carefully adjusted the angles until the lantern sat nicely. These things are super delicate, so be very careful.
IMG_0892.jpg
IMG_0893.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#367 Posted : 20 December 2021 18:39:39

So this is it...the final bit.

The figurehead provided in the kit, at least in my kit, was in pretty rough shape. That was a bit surprising considering all the other pieces, especially the cast pieces, were very well done and about as clean as I have ever seen in a kit. The figurehead, not so much.

So I took a brand new blade and started cleaning things up. This took me about three hours and several bladed. I carefully scrapped along the folds, into crevices, and around details to remove all the extra debris and to clean up some of the details. I was careful to never cut away at the piece and instead just let the weight of the blade do the work as it scraped along.

It also took quite a bit of work to carve the backside so it would slide over the stem, but eventually it fit nicely. I then cleaned it up with a brush and applied some black primer. Once the primer had dried I painted as I saw fit. I did a slight bit of research into what the actual original figurehead may have looked like but did not find anything that was very useful, so I let my imagination dictate the way forward.

Once I had it painted I then applied a coating of black wash. I did this to add a bit of weathering to the figurehead as, without it, it appeared a bit too cartoonish. Once dry, I glued it into place and then sat back and enjoyed the results along with a nice Old Fashioned.
IMG_0795.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0895.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0897.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#368 Posted : 20 December 2021 18:44:19

It has taken slightly over a year to complete this build at a relaxed pace. Now that I see the finished product I have decided I want to build a custom stand for it. I do not like the stand that is provided with the kit. It is the dead of winter right now so I am unlikely to get into the workshop and cut pieces for the stand so this will have to wait until warmer weather returns.

Regardless, this build is done and it has been a blast sharing it with everyone. In the coming days I will take some random photos of the completed ship and post them here.

Thank you everyone for following along and looking forward to following your builds and meeting you in other threads.

Cheers!
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#369 Posted : 20 December 2021 21:07:19

The next several posts are to share various snapshots of the finished build. As I have come along in model ship building I have found that some of the most helpful photos are the multiple angles taken at the end of a build. They have helped me to better understand what goes where and why. I will try to capture as many angles and bits of the ship as I can and share them here.
IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0902.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg
IMG_0904.jpg
IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg
IMG_0908.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#370 Posted : 20 December 2021 21:09:46

Here are some more images. Please excuse the quality. I am doing what I can with the limited photography capabilities I have.
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg
IMG_0911.jpg
IMG_0912.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_0916.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#371 Posted : 20 December 2021 21:16:45

Over the past several years as visitors have come to my home they always gravitate to the completed HMS Victory build I have on display. One of the most common questions I get is asking about how the ship is built and I end up explaining the ribs and such. This is one of the reasons I immediately gravitated to this build when it first became available. I absolutely love the ribs on this thing.
IMG_0917.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0933.jpg
IMG_0943.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0960.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#372 Posted : 20 December 2021 21:24:18

And now a few shots from the port side.
IMG_0921.jpg
IMG_0922.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0924.jpg
IMG_0927.jpg
IMG_0928.jpg
IMG_0932.jpg
IMG_0934.jpg
IMG_0935.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#373 Posted : 20 December 2021 21:31:01

And now some various shots across the deck.
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg
IMG_0941.jpg
IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#374 Posted : 20 December 2021 21:33:27

And here are some final shots from various angles.
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg
IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0952.jpg
IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg
IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Gibbo
#375 Posted : 21 December 2021 00:50:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

A beautiful build, i've enjoyed watching this come together, you should be very proud.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tenderfoot
#376 Posted : 21 December 2021 14:55:08

Gibbo wrote:
A beautiful build, i've enjoyed watching this come together, you should be very proud.

Thank you for your kind words and following along. This was a fun build and a decent challenge. It will be displayed in full view for any visitors. Now I just need to get a case for it.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: