Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages <12345>»
Official HMS Bounty Build by tenderfoot Options
tenderfoot
#41 Posted : 19 April 2021 18:53:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Received Episode 7 Cool right before I had to take a brief break. Started out right where the instructions indicated with the mounts for the masts. I'm pretty sure there is an official sailing term for these, so please share if you know.

These were really straight forward and as long as you pay close attention to which pieces get married you should have no issues. They cleaned up quite nicely, again sticking with my standard 220 grit followed by a 320 grit. Attaching to the keel was also straightforward, again, paying close attention as to which one goes where. The fore and mizzen mast mounts appeared to be identical. However, didn't take any chances and put them in the order per the instructions.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_2012.jpg
IMG_2013.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#42 Posted : 19 April 2021 19:00:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Next up were the Orlop Deck supports. These are really simple - detach from the template, remove the charred edges, glue, 220 grit, 320 grit. However, you do need to be very patient with a few of them, especially as you get closer to the bow and stern ribs.

Reading ahead in the instructions (something I always do), it was apparent that there were many pieces that were very similar is size and shape. Therefore I initially took a pencil and wrote the corresponding part number next to each bit while it was still in the template. Simple refer to the instructions at the beginning of this section and you will see the reference numbers. This helped ensure that, as I removed pieces, I knew exactly which ones paired together to make the Orlop supports.

When assembling I was extra careful to ensure the pillar beam was 90 degrees to the joist. If you don't do this you will regret it later as you may struggle to properly fit these to the ribs.
IMG_2098.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#43 Posted : 19 April 2021 19:17:16

Once I had all the support assembled and the initial sanding complete I set things up so I could get each installed properly. The instruction were a bit lacking in regard to how to properly install these...at least in my opinion. I understand this set to be more towards the entry level, at least for moderately skilled modelers - that make any sense? In that context, simply indicating on the drawing where the supports get installed did no seem to suffice. Instead, as it is quite critical, would have been helpful for the instruction to include some advice in this regard. But then again, that's what these build logs are for...so here goes...

I first made sure I had a level dry dock and that the ship was properly seated within the dry dock. Once that was all leveled to my liking I could then dry fit each support. I dry fit each first as they all need some slight altering to the outermost points where they meed the ribs. Because of the compound angles of the rib, this take some time for each one. I strongly encourage you to take your time here. Myself, I dry fit, assess, and sand multiple times. Each time I take just a wee bit off as you can quickly overdo it and then you find yourself cutting new bits. It was not uncommon for me to repeat this process a dozen times for each support. Once I had the fit where I liked it, I would then glue into place and use a level to ensure it went in exactly as it should.
IMG_2100.jpg
IMG_2099.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#44 Posted : 19 April 2021 19:23:32

Installation of the stern Orlop supports continued. I made sure to level each and every one and also made sure to continuously check level of the dry dock as well as making sure the ship was properly seated within the dry dock. I have a bit of a wonky work area, so these checks and double checks are necessary to make sure I haven't accidentally knocked out a shim under the dry dock. Eventually, all stern Orlop supports were in place and looking pretty good.
IMG_2101.jpg
IMG_2102.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#45 Posted : 19 April 2021 19:31:04

DISASTER STRIKES!

While installing the final stern Orlop support my sleeve caught the stern post and snapped it right off. It didn't take much for this to happen, just the slightest amount of energy and SNAP! So be very careful when working around this area.

Thankfully, ships are made of wood, so a bit of glue and some light sanding and it was good as new. But always better to avoid this situations in the first place.

Guilt admission...something like this happens to me on every build at least once. And I know it has happened to others and is likely a more common event than you realize. These are, as you know, very small and delicate models and accidents will happen. In fact, I bet they happened on the real deals back in the day as well and expect the carpenters and shipwrights of the day found ways to fix things. Would be kind of neat to crawl the dark areas of an old tall ship and find places where things like this occurred. With this in mind, this little disaster just makes this build all the more authentic!
IMG_2120.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Medric
#46 Posted : 19 April 2021 22:19:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Yes ! Those kinds of things happen. I expect it to happen to me at some point . It always does. With this model, I'm glad that I no longer have a house cat.
"It is far better to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat ".
Theodore Roosevelt
Gandale
#47 Posted : 19 April 2021 23:36:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This kind of thing has happened to all of us and for the vast majority of builders it has happened more than once. When it has happened to me I've glued the pieces back together but have reinforced the joint by inserting brass pins into the joint as with gluing alone the joint can be easily broken again..... Well done on the repair and keep those pics coming......Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
goddo
#48 Posted : 20 April 2021 05:48:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Tenderfoot,
That is really annoying when you catch something with your sleeve and snap it off but yes, it does happen.
I remember when I first started modelling that I was always having to carry out repair work. Accidents occur and as has been said, it probably happens in the real world a lot more than we imagine.
You are making a fantastic job of this ship and I look forward to seeing more progress.
Chris
tenderfoot
#49 Posted : 20 April 2021 16:00:36

Thanks everyone! Gandale, brass pins have saved me many times and I can't resist emphasizing your suggestion that brass pins make for a stronger repair than glue alone. In fact, I think I will go back and add a pin to this repair. It is a really weak spot due to the direction of the grain in relation to the curve in the cut of the piece. Guessing on the real deal the carpenter would have been very selective here, possibly using live oak that had more of a natural bend where this piece needs it.

I also use brass pins in areas that aren't repairs, but that I think need a bit of extra reinforcement. On an upcoming post I will illustrate this as I used pins to hold the main deck supports in place at the bow. There was such a sharp curve to the supports that I felt brass pins would be helpful not only to keep things in place while the glue dried, but to ensure they stay in place for many years as changes in humidity causes the wood to expand and contract.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

Aerod
#50 Posted : 20 April 2021 17:11:12

Red Medal: Red Medal

Like you I jumped ahead and built the lifeboat. Unlike you I made a complete horlicks of the job! It ended up useless with more glue than wood Yes the ribs are extremely fragile. Fortunately I have access to a laser cutting machine and recut the sheets in 1.5mm ply which was stronger but the wrong colour. Not too bad when stained. I strengthened the ribs by putting a thin layer of super glue on both sides. I misread the instructions and thought the strips at the bottom went on the outside not as planks. I am enjoying the build but am envious of your obvious skills. Many congratulations
tenderfoot
#51 Posted : 20 April 2021 18:19:45

Aerod, I must admit to some envy. To have a CNC device available would be a wonderful thing. I have often dreamed of purchasing one, but am a bit afraid to take the dive without getting some trusted input. As far as I can tell, there are many devices out there that provide less than adequate results and don't want to make that mistake. Hard enough to get my wife's permission to spend the cash...would just make it soooooo much worse to tell her I botched the selection.

"...a complete horlicks..." - I actually had to search that up. I understood what you meant on context alone, but have never heard the phrase. Really interesting history to that and quite funny as well. Highlights how enjoyable it is meeting others from around the world and varying cultures through these forums.

As for the lifeboat...looking forward to how round 2 goes for you. If you are willing, please share. And if you have any questions along the way, please ask. Most importantly, take your time...that lifeboat took me several hours over several days. There were times when I just couldn't get my hands steady enough...or when I found I just didn't have the needed dexterity at the time. This can be related to stress, caffeine, lack of sleep, any number of things. When I find myself in these scenarios I have learned it is better to set the thing aside and try again at a later time. Thankfully, these situations are the exceptions and not the rule. But, as I age, the exceptions are occurring a bit more often - insert sad face here.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#52 Posted : 20 April 2021 18:56:22

Next up were the bow Orlop supports. Basically the same process as the stern supports and again, emphasizing the need to level the cross beam for these and always double checking that the dry dock is level and the ship is properly seated within the dry dock.

The final support that is closest to the bow was the most tedious (attached an image of this one). It must have taken me at least two dozen turns or test fit, sand, test fit, sand. Due to the complexity of the angles where the support connects to the rib it was critical to take all the time needed to get a nice fit. This may seem a bit tedious, but I actually enjoy it. I find that I like to imaging the skills needed for carpenters back in the old days to cut these angles so precisely. Not to mention the engineering it took to calculate the exact compound angles needed at these points...truly impressive and inspiring.

Once all the bow Orlop supports were in place and after a short break to scrutinize my efforts I find myself satisfied with the results.
IMG_2107.jpg
IMG_2108.jpg
IMG_2109.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#53 Posted : 20 April 2021 19:06:52

NOTE: not a mod, but a change in the order of things as I wanted to strengthen the rigs as soon as I could.

Here is where I have once again decided to deviate from the sequence in the instructions. It is at this point that I need to decide what finish to apply to the wood. Right now I am leaning towards a clear wipe-on poly so will go out and grab a new can today (last one dried out on me since I didn't close it well enough). However, also want to test a couple different stains so will grab some small cans of those as well. A post will follow with the results.

Reading ahead a bit I decided it would be better to attach the main deck supports for two reasons. One, and most importantly, they will add some much needed structural support for the top areas of the ribs. This will be crucial as I will need to remove the ship from the dry dock and work in, out, and along all sides of the ribs and other parts. My past clumsiness being evident in previous post, this structural enhancement will pay dividends. Secondly, I like to get as far along as I can before I apply a finish, but not so far that it becomes very tedious or nearly impossible to work in between the bits and pieces. Adding the main deck supports doesn't make this more difficult, however, adding the Orlop deck will. Thus my decision to add the main supports and forgo the Orlop deck for now.

The supports are really basic and one just needs to pay close attention and connect in the proper sequence. The laser rib numbers help in this. These don't look like they will be very visible, if visible at all in the final product, but I still decided to clean the char off the edges and do my standard sanding practice.
IMG_2113.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#54 Posted : 20 April 2021 19:14:34

Having decided to lay the support up next to the ribs to get a feel for how they would align and attach it quickly became apparent that there would be a need for some bending. This is another case where the instructions are a bit light for those who are new to these types of models. A beginner may not be aware of the need to bend these let alone a method for doing so. For those who may find it helpful I will provide the method that I use.

Another issue with this step is the joint in the supports. If you do not bend these before hand there is really no way to get these to fit properly without them coming apart where you glued two pieces together. I have included a couple images that highlight where the joint is that would separate as well as how much of a bend would be needed for both the bow and the stern areas.
IMG_2114.jpg
IMG_2115.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#55 Posted : 20 April 2021 19:26:47

To bend planks and other items I use a travel iron (you can find all sorts of these online for around $10). I know there are other solutions out there including a special soldering iron tip that others use. I have actually tried these and find that the travel iron is best. This is something that I picked up from other modelers who have a lot more experience than me and am happy I have. Made bending so much better.

I also don't usually presoak my wood. Instead I just dip my finger in a bit of water and rub it along the area I want to bend. Then I just apply the tip of the travel iron and slowly work it back and forth until I get the bend that I need. I will sometimes need to repeat this process, dip finger, wet surface, apply iron tip, for those areas that need a sharper bend. Don't want to overdo it all in one pass and break the piece.

I constantly check my progress by laying the supports along the ribs to see how they look. Obviously not going to get it perfect, but getting it close is definitely beneficial. Also note how the joints in the supports at ribs 10 and E did not come apart.
IMG_2116.jpg
IMG_2117.jpg
IMG_2118.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#56 Posted : 20 April 2021 19:41:16

Once the bending was to my satisfaction it was time to attach the supports. Some of the ribs have precut locations where the supports rest. This was extremely helpful and kudos to the designers for including these. Simply lay the supports along the inside of the ribs, taking not to align them as indicated by the laser etched rib numbers on the supports as well as resting the supports within the precut area of specific ribs.

These were fairly simply in the stern, however, towards the bow I did find that the bend was a bit extreme and it was difficult to keep the support tight against the rib. Similar to what Gandale suggested in an earlier post on the benefit of brass pins for repairs, this is a situation where I like to use brass pins for structural reasons.

Knowing this area will not be visible on the finished model, but also understanding the importance of keeping the supports tight against the ribs at an area where there is an extreme bend in a plank I decided to use a brass pin in the last couple ribs. Initially I had planned to only keep these in place until the glue was thoroughly dry. However, after further contemplation I decided it was best to keep them in place permanently.

For those new to this practice, my brass pins are nothing more than a brass nail with the head cut off. Typically, I will pin/nail as needed without driving the nail all the way in. Then I go back and snip off the head. This snipping of the head after putting the nail in place also has the benefit of driving the pin a bit further into place - the energy of the snip causes the pin to dig further in, but note it also causes the head to go flying across the room. Once I snip the head I may sometimes need to drive the pin a bit further to make it flush with the wood. Typically I do this with a nail driver (those little palm things that sort of punch a nail into the wood).
IMG_2122.jpg
IMG_2121.jpg
IMG_2123.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#57 Posted : 20 April 2021 19:46:27

Couple additional notes on the supports.

One, it is critical to make sure the port and starboard supports line up where the cutouts for the beams are. You can seen in one of the images in the previous post that I did not get this quite right. However, it would make a super mess of things to try to remove it and better to instead adjust these slots as I install the cross beams.

Two, this is one of the few times where I prefer to use CA glue. I don't typically like to use CA glue on wood as it it very difficult to remove, especially in areas that I want a nice finish. However, the need for a fairly quick and solid attachment are critical in this case and knowing that the area would not be visible I decided CA glue was the best choice for this specific application. At all other times on this model I have used regular wood glue.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

goddo
#58 Posted : 20 April 2021 19:57:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

An excellent build diary giving a very good insight into what to expect for future builds.
Well done Tenderfoot.
Chris
tenderfoot
#59 Posted : 21 April 2021 02:33:21

goddo wrote:
An excellent build diary giving a very good insight into what to expect for future builds.
Well done Tenderfoot.
Chris

Thank you goddo/Chris. The positive feedback and encouragement are truly appreciated. Definitely help is keeping me motivated BigGrin

Welcome aboard and hope to hear from you often here as well as follow along in any build logs you may have.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#60 Posted : 21 April 2021 02:46:35

Last post for today...couldn't wait and decided to test out some options for the wood finish. But a quick note before I go further. To all newcomers to the trade, it has been strongly suggested by literally everyone in the universe to use a piece of test wood for your finishing choice before actually applying to your actual model. This advice is so universally accepted that I, knowing better than everyone in the universe, have decided in the past to completely ignore it.

I know what I want...and I want it now!

Yeah...it never works out as planned.

Listen to the universe...it has been around a lot longer than you or I. When the universe speaks, we must listen. Always, always, always use a test piece for staining/varnishing tests. Never, never, never test directly on your model because you think you are the smartest entity in the universe...you will be quickly humbled. And likely upset. And likely spend a lot of time correcting your mistake. And, if you start a build log, likely copying this post into your log.

That said...I went ahead and took a couple scrap pieces to test my thoughts on a finish for the wood. Initially I thought I would go with a simple wipe on poly, but after seeing the results I was not happy. For me, the grain of the wood just did not stand out enough and the overall color was a bit drab...sort of reminded me of the wood on a weathered shed or barn...not what I was going for.

So I went ahead and tried Minwax Gunstock stain. Personally, I like stains in the reddish family as they tend to really bring out the natural beauty of wood with some nice contrast in the grain. After applying the Gunstock I was much much happier. However, it still just seemed a bit flat.

So I also tried doing a wipe on poly on top of the Gunstock and what do you know...perfection! This is what I was going for. The grain stands out with such glamour, like a movie star on the red carpet...such beauty.

I have attached some images to show the process. I actually did this same test on a piece of scrap wood that was only sanded with 240 grit along with the piece of scrap that I sanded down to 320 grit. I like the lighter, more delicate details the 320 grit bring. It may be difficult to see in the images, so I highlighted with an arrow the difference between the stain and the stain+poly on the 320 grit piece. Also included a shot that has the 240 grit piece alongside the 320 to show the difference. Again, the difference is much more visible in real life than in the photos - doing the best I can with my smartphone camera.
IMG_2128.jpg
IMG_2129.jpg
IMG_2127.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: