Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<34567>»
Official HMS Bounty Build by tenderfoot Options
Silent_Running
#81 Posted : 29 April 2021 20:20:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Tenderfoot,

I’m really loving following your build, this is a beautiful model. You are producing an absolutely stunning build, I’m sure lots of forum members will consider this kit. Drool BigGrin
Regards
Glenn
tenderfoot
#82 Posted : 29 April 2021 23:10:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support! Makes it all the more enjoyable knowing this is not simply a forum, but a community.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#83 Posted : 29 April 2021 23:12:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The finish on the Orlop decks was dry, so I went ahead and attached them to the rest of the model. Practically had to crawl up onto the workbench as I needed to look down through the holes to ensure they aligned just right with the base for the masts. Quite happy with the results.

Next up, the first few steps of Episode 8.
tenderfoot attached the following image(s):
IMG_2171.jpg
IMG_2172.jpg
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.

IN PROGRESS:

• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
Gandale
#84 Posted : 29 April 2021 23:44:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is looking very impressive throughout. Definitely has the makings of turning out to be a stunning build when finished. Credit to you for the care and attention you're applying, very well done.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
tenderfoot
#85 Posted : 30 April 2021 01:28:34

NOTE: regarding the following posts on building the lower deck. I did not make any modifications, however, I did assemble things in a different order than instructed.

Everyone beware! It is critical that you label pieces while they are still in the laser template as they do tend to fall out here and there. Some pieces are so similar that it could be very difficult to distinguish one from the other should this happen to you and you did not label them. Personally, I use a #2 pencil and write very softly so as not to make an impression in the wood. You know you have done this correctly if a soft rub with the eraser takes the pencil mark right off. If you find you have to scrub with an eraser, then you are scribing a bit too hard and working the graphite into the grain.

I went ahead and assembled, sanded the first four deck joists per the instructions. Where I did deviate from the instruction was that I did not glue these to the model...only did a dry fit. I found myself staring at the bits quite a lot and unsure how to proceed. Keep in mind, I am staining the main structural pieces of the hull so I need to be sure to do things in a way that allow me to sand and stain in all areas. Also need to be sure that things look nice and tight fitting at all the joints. Unsure of how to do this with so many little pieces coming together I decided to leave it be...walk away for a while (entire work day) and ponder on it.

One other item to note...in an earlier post where I described the installation of the deck supports I mentioned that I had accidentally installed one about 1.5mm too far forward. After looking ahead in the instructions it was unclear how this area got covered. However, by looking at the main photograph on the cover of the instructions it looks like this area will not be visible to anyone but that nosey little neighbor of mine two doors down...always the critic. Therefore, and to spite my nosey neighbor, I decided to leave it as is and adjust the cut where the joist rests. I have highlighted this in the image below. I will do this same thing to all 12 areas where the joist meets this support.
IMG_2194.jpg
IMG_2195.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#86 Posted : 30 April 2021 01:39:25

On the train after work and I found myself once again pondering how to handle the installation of all the little pieces for the deck support. I really want this to turn out nice and to do so, each piece needs to fit snuggly with its neighbor and all pieces need to be finely sanded. Thought it over and over and over for probably an hour or more in total. Sometimes I think I spend more time pondering how to do something on a ship than I do actually doing something on a ship. Am I alone in this?

Eventually, I came to the conclusion that the only way to approach this that will allow me to get the final results that I want is to once again deviate from the instructions. I really apologize to all those following along that are sticking to the instructions and will tell you, the instructions are absolutely fine. I am not deviating from them for anything other than I am seeking something a bit different than what the instructions present. In the end, I decided to do this entire process in 4 steps/sections. This will have several benefits for me.

1. I can dry fit all pieces, every single one, and ensure a nice snug fit at all joints.

2. Less muddling around within the hull trying to fit each individual piece, sand, test fit, sand, test fit, again and again. Each time I reach into the hull I am taking a chance at snapping something off, so the less I do this the better.

3. I will be able to sand all surfaces absolutely smooth after glueing the pieces together, but prior to installation within the hull. Will then be able to stain all surface without much hassle and ensure I nice result.

4. I will be able to fine tune things as needed without worrying about having to pull a piece off the hull that has been installed. Or worse yet, finding that I need to pull several pieces off.

5. Finally, it allows me to ensure everything is square prior to installation. Take a cross beam as an example. You may think you have this bang on after sanding the ends to fit. But if you are off center just a wee bit it will have cascading effects. Assembling the pieces and ensuring they are square, then placing the assembled section into the hull allows me to adjust each end of the cross beam as needed and get a near perfect result.
BFF61FC1-4918-4012-8856-90ED44CA6D23.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#87 Posted : 30 April 2021 01:43:51

One more note prior to moving on to the next steps. For the cross beams I did need to sand them at each end just slightly so they would fit between the ribs properly. However, I removed as little as possible as I wanted to leave as much excess as I could. Later, once I have a section completed, I will dry fit it. Once in place I can mark/scribe each end of the cross beam and then sand it down to match perfectly with the supports. Only then will it be ready for final sanding, stain, and installation.
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#88 Posted : 30 April 2021 03:55:04

Had a beautiful glass of Scotch and wow, did it ever get my spirits up. So much so that I decided to move on a bit further before I called it a night.

Proceeding with my plan to build the deck joists and the lot in sections, as opposed to piece by piece per the instruction. I'll mention it once more, this is a personal choice and if you follow the instructions you would be fine. Also, I am not sure my decision is the correct one. So I strongly urge you to follow along here and as I progress it will become evident to if this was a good decision, or, as I so often do, a poor decision.

Cleaned up the first pieces. I focused on removing the char from areas that will be exposed. I also needed to shape the rear-most transom supports so they fit nicely along the inside of the transom as well as along the ribs. There are not very many square surfaces on a ship, so it is likely you will need to shape every piece somewhat. I included a picture that shows how I needed to shape it. Like usual, I took my time with this and test fitted, sanded, test fitted, sanded, over and over again until I was satisfied. However, I was careful not to try to get it perfect just yet. I wanted to be sure to leave a little extra so I could adjust things as needed once I had some pieces for this section assembled and glued.

I then cleaned up the proper joists and thwarts. Once again, removing the char along any sides that will be exposed. Be very careful not to overdue it, especially in the areas where pieces join together. For example, you do not want to over sand a thwart to then end up with a piece that fits too loosely within the joist or the transom support.
IMG_2199.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#89 Posted : 30 April 2021 04:09:53

Once I was happy with the prepping of the pieces I glued them up, being careful to make sure the thwarts were square to the joist. Once I had the joist and thwarts glued together and gave them a couple minutes for the glue to set, I then moved on to glueing the transom supports in place.

Quick note...I was not quite sure what a transom support was and, based off an internet search, found that it is the pieces in the corner between the thwart (the cross braces) and the rib. If this is incorrect, please let me know. I will happily edit these posts accordingly.

Once I had the section glued up it was time to do some additional finishing work...sanding and more sanding...until the piece was satisfactory. You can see in the image below that after glueing the pieces together there are noticeable gaps in the joints. This is common, especially with laser cut pieces that are slightly beveled, and is not something to fret over. There is a little trick I picked up from other modelers several years ago.

The key is that one typically enjoys seeing all the intricate bits and pieces that go into model ship building. This is why you often see experienced modelers use a pencil or marker to create seams/caulking between boards/planks/decking. Knowing this, instead of trying to make a seamless joint, I like to call attention to the work that was involved in the joint. As such, the joint having a slightly darker color is exactly what I need.

To achieve this, I initially sand the area around the joint with a fine grit, typically 340. I use a finer grit as I want all those little bits of sawdust to work their way into the smallest of crevices. Pay attention to the direction of the grain. In most instances at a joint there will be two different flows of grain, therefore, use a circular sanding motion.

After I have sanded to the point where the joints are filled with fine sawdust, I then paint the joint area with diluted wood glue. I don't measure things exactly, but my glue to water ration is around 1 part glue and two parts water...it's pretty thin. I actually have an old glue bottle that I kept and use it for diluted glue. This same glue also comes in handy for rigging although it doesn't look like there will be much, if any rigging on this model.

I don't waste too much time painting the glue into the joints as I don't want the glue to dry. Diluted wood glue in small amounts dries amazing fast. Once I paint it onto all the joints I then rub my finger over all the areas to get rid of the excess. Next, I go at the joint with a bit rougher grit, typically 220, again in a circular motion, to make sure I get any remaining glue off. This also has the added benefit of working a finish layer of sawdust into the joints. Finally, I then go over the entire surface with 340 grit until things look and feel as I want them.

Then, I turn it over and do the other side. All in all, this section took me about two hours...not too bad. I included a couple extra pics that show how nicely the joints looked on both sided once I had finished the process. It is amazing how this simple process takes what appears to be a terrible open joint and makes it look nice and tight. The pics are about 300% enlargement and the joints still look good. At normal size, when viewing on a display shelf, they will look ridiculously nice.
IMG_2201.jpg
IMG_2203.jpg
IMG_2205.jpg
IMG_2206.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#90 Posted : 30 April 2021 15:55:53

Figure I better be a bit clearer on which pieces I have assembled since I am not following the process in the instructions. For the stern-most section I used 1A and 1B from template 8-04, 1 from template 8-07, 28A and 28B from template 8-08, and 29A and 29B from template 8-08.

Having assembled all these and gotten things as nicely sanded as I need at this point, it was time to dry fit it in the hull. You can see in the pic below that the starboard side is hitting the stern (green arrows) and preventing the center joist and the port side from fitting properly into place. I simply sanded and did a test fit multiple times until I had this to where I was satisfied with the fit. Again, I will emphasize, it is better to sand a little and dry-fit and then repeat this process many times than to try sanding a huge amount...too often the later will result in overdoing it and then you are in a bind. Sand and dry-fit, over and over, little by little, and you will get the results you want.
IMG_2207.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#91 Posted : 30 April 2021 16:13:45

On to the next little section. For this section I used 2A and 2B from template 8-04, 2 from template 8-07, and 30A and 30B from template 8-08. Followed my some process from the previous section. Taking my time to sand and fit things nicely.

On thing I do want to bring up is the critic importance of these sections being squared up. If you do not do this you will quickly find things veering off to one side or the other. The slightest deviation will multiple just a few inches further down the bow...so take your time and make sure things are square.

I personally thing the machinist square is one of the most important tools in my toolbox. I actually have several of these and use them all of the time. You can find these just about anywhere online and I suggest you get a few different sizes, but all sized should be small. The ones in the pic below are only 3 inches on the longest side. These things make ship building a much more pleasant experience.
IMG_2210.jpg
IMG_2211.jpg
IMG_2212.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#92 Posted : 30 April 2021 16:18:57

Then I attached this section to the first main support and sanded things nicely. The I attached the stern-most section to the main support..again...making sure things were all square. Finally, did a dry-fit of the entire assembly and marked where I needed to fine tune things. You can see where I scribed the areas within the green circles below. Typical for me, I sanded a bit, then dry-fit, over and over until it fit nicely.
IMG_2213.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#93 Posted : 30 April 2021 20:42:43

The next section I constructed consisted of 3A and 3B from template 8-04, 3A, 3B, 4A, and 4B from template 8-07, and then 31A and 31B from template 8-08. This is the section where the mast will fall through. Followed the same procedure. Once I had all the pieces fitted together, I joined them with the main support and then dry-fitted it on the hull. While it was in place I scribed where I needed to sand down the ends of the supports and transom supports (indicated in greed in the image below).

After getting everything to fit nicely, I then joined this section with the previous ones. Note in the image how I take advantage of the grid on my cutting board to ensure things remain square.

Finally, dry-fit into the hull and everything slides into place very easily and fits very nicely. I took a quick peek down the mast hole and all is lining up beautifully. I am completely satisfied so far with this approach.
IMG_2214.jpg
IMG_2215.jpg
IMG_2216.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#94 Posted : 30 April 2021 20:52:27

Next section was with 4A and 4B from template 8-04, 5A and 5B and 6 from template 8-07, and 32A and 32B from template 8-08. Same as the other sections in all aspects.

Once everything was glued, sanded, and to my liking I attached this section to the others and once again dry-fit it in the hull. Things slid into place easily and all the main support fell right into position in the cutouts along the rib support.

Looks like the next section will start making things a bit tight in regards to sliding this in and out of the hull between the tops of the ribs. Because of this, I will call this section complete and start working on the next of the 4 main sections.

All in all, this entire section took about 6 hours of my time. Not nearly as long as I had planned and well worth the effort. Really excited to see how this looks once I get some stain on it.
IMG_2217.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

goddo
#95 Posted : 01 May 2021 12:14:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

You are doing just great, Tenderfoot.
I'm enjoying this so keep it coming.
Chris
tenderfoot
#96 Posted : 02 May 2021 17:27:09

The 5th section of the lower deck support structure consisted of:
• 7A, 7B, 8A, 8B from 8-07
• 33A, 33B from 8-09
• 5A, 5B from 8-04

Again, took my time to carefully clean each piece prior to assembly. During assembly was careful to keep everything nice and square. After assembly it took several rounds to sand and dry-fit to ensure everything fell into place perfectly.

I have been trying really hard to take photos as I go along so as to provide as much visual information along with my poorly worded descriptions. However, I find that at times I get so deep into what I am working on that the thought of picking up the phone and taking a photo just doesn't occur to me. Well, this happened to me yesterday. Was plugging away at sections 5, 6, and 7 and wouldn't you know...I kept forgetting to stop and take photos. To compensate for this, I took the completed photo and chopped it into pieces so as to provide as much visual clarity as possible for what is being done in each section. Sorry if that causes anyone some confusion and please, if you have questions, ask away.

Below is Section 5. It still needs some minor clean-up, but the fit is right.
IMG_2243-A.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#97 Posted : 02 May 2021 17:32:32

The 6th Section is where the lower deck goes over the main mast. This was the most complex section so far. Not necessarily the most difficult to construct, simply most complex in terms of number of pieces. The most difficult to construct was the first section as it required the most tedious shaping of pieces to fit nicely against the stern.

To build the 6th section required the following pieces:
• 6A, 6B from 8-04
• 7A, 7B from 8-05
• 9A, 9B, 10A, 10B, 11, 12A, 12B, 13A, 13B from 8-07
• 34A, 34B from 8-09

Below is an image showing the assembled section prior to final clean up. Again, nothing too difficult other than to ensure you are putting pieces in the right places. Also, take careful note when you dry-fit it on the hull that the hole for the main mast lines up perfectly with the main mast footing on the keelson.
IMG_2231.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#98 Posted : 02 May 2021 17:43:22

The 7th Section consisted of:
• 8A, 8B from 8-05
• 14A, 14B, 15 from 8-07
• 35A, 35B from 8-09

Below is a pic showing the assembled section. Again, once a section is assembled, I then test fit it and sand repeatedly until it slides into place nice and smoothly.
IMG_2243-C.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#99 Posted : 02 May 2021 17:49:29

Now that I have sections 5, 6, and 7 completed and fitting nicely I glue the three sections together. Keep in mind, as I am doing this I am also ensuring that I am able to slide the section in and out of the hull. Would be such a shame to build something and make the classic mistake of not being able to get it through the door...or in this instance, past the ribs.

Something else I was taking notice of as I constructed each section. On the main supports that consisted of two pieces, if you want to remain accurate to the actual build you need to pay attention as to which direction the joint in each support is facing. In the picture below showing the three assembled section I have highlighted what I am trying to describe. Having these accidentally facing the wrong direction (flipped port to starboard) would not cause you any problems with the build, this is instead just a minor detail that would be closer to what the actual ship builders did back in the day.
IMG_2243.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS:

tenderfoot
#100 Posted : 02 May 2021 17:53:38

Lastly, once all three sections were joined as one I did a final dry fit. Turned out I needed to do some light sanding to the outside edges. Just a bit so I wasn't rubbing so tightly against the ribs. Eventually, had it where it slid in nice and smooth and practically fell right into place.

This is about all I can do with this section. Adding any more to it would make it difficult to get in and out of the hull. Now it is decision time. The next section is where the main hatch will be located. I think this is a good spot where I can switch directions and start working from the bow back to here. Again, trying to do this in a way that allows me to remove sections for staining prior to final installation. Fingers crossed this continues to work as well as it has so far.
IMG_2242.jpg
COMPLETED:

IN PROGRESS: