Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <12345>
BACK AFTER 8 YEARS RICHARD.L BUILD Options
tenderfoot
#41 Posted : 15 February 2022 01:06:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Good to have you back Richard. Build is looking spectacular and eager to follow along as you share.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tom.ganc
#42 Posted : 15 February 2022 12:11:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Great pics Richard

That's a great looking ship there. Fantastic job with the rear gallery, I wish I had bought the upgrade kit when it was still available. She is coming along nicely.

In terms of making your ropes looks like you are using the same thread as I am :) I have posted the spreadsheets with correct rope sizes for our scale so you may have a look at my build log for details. The instructions are much too simplified in terms of the sizes and they are wrong especially when it comes to the stays.

Regards
Tom
Mike g
#43 Posted : 15 February 2022 18:04:11

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Hi I. Mike I am new here and was wondering has anyone got the bowsprit plan for the victory please any help much appriciated
goddo
#44 Posted : 15 February 2022 18:27:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Mike g wrote:
Hi I. Mike I am new here and was wondering has anyone got the bowsprit plan for the victory please any help much appriciated

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum.
You'll enjoy it here with lots of tips and advice readily available.
When you say bowsprit plan, do you mean the 1:84th scale DeAg construction drawing?
If so, I can maybe help you with a photocopy of it (I still need the original to build my ownBigGrin )
Let me know.
Chris
GilShapley
#45 Posted : 15 February 2022 19:52:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mike If this is the deag build I have a complete set of Bowsprit, Foremast, Main Mast and Mizzen Mast Plans in PDF format for the Deag Victory. If you want a copy let me have your email and I will send them to you

Gil
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
richard.l
#46 Posted : 15 February 2022 22:24:35

tom.ganc wrote:
Great pics Richard

That's a great looking ship there. Fantastic job with the rear gallery, I wish I had bought the upgrade kit when it was still available. She is coming along nicely.

In terms of making your ropes looks like you are using the same thread as I am :) I have posted the spreadsheets with correct rope sizes for our scale so you may have a look at my build log for details. The instructions are much too simplified in terms of the sizes and they are wrong especially when it comes to the stays.

Regards
Tom

Cheers Tom yeah i was lucky with the upgraded parts, i was watching Johns iconic military builds on YouTube he is also building the victory, and i discoved the scribing tool to make the different moulds. That led me to discover the upgraded gallery and bow kit parts, i can't believe the luck considering i started like you in 2010, it was all sold out by September. As for the rope yeah i stole all your ideas and have been looking at your log and studying your excellent rigging work with the hope i can do the same, it,s gonna be a steep learning curve. am gonna strip off all blocks on the yards and replace with my own rope, and by looking at your pics and en.shipphotographer i can hopefully do a decent job.

Regards
Richard
tom.ganc
#47 Posted : 16 February 2022 00:03:29

Thanks Richard

I'm glad my build was helpful to you. I'm doing my best surprising even myself with the results. This is my first ship model and I'm loving the process. I'm already planning my next one so I can go more crazy with the details.

You said you have stripped all the blocks; well I did the same once I discovered rope making. I have removed all the blocks and stained them wallnut - it looks much better than natural colour.

Right now I'm thinking and planning on doing my own sails and can't decide what material I'm going to use. Either fine cloth or silkspan. I'd like to get really realistic results and I don't want them to look too heavy.
I was planning to get her finished this year but I may struggle if all the plans go ahead it will be much details to cover ;)

Regardless, I'm really busy with the masts rigging (shrouds). Lower masts so far, I'm doing main mast now. Once I finish mizzen mast I will go ahead with bowsprit.

Your build looks great and you should be really proud of it. I already can't wait to see your updates and I'm sure you will surprise us with something ;)

All the best

Tom
richard.l
#48 Posted : 20 February 2022 11:17:11

tom.ganc wrote:
Thanks Richard

I'm glad my build was helpful to you. I'm doing my best surprising even myself with the results. This is my first ship model and I'm loving the process. I'm already planning my next one so I can go more crazy with the details.

You said you have stripped all the blocks; well I did the same once I discovered rope making. I have removed all the blocks and stained them wallnut - it looks much better than natural colour.

Right now I'm thinking and planning on doing my own sails and can't decide what material I'm going to use. Either fine cloth or silkspan. I'd like to get really realistic results and I don't want them to look too heavy.
I was planning to get her finished this year but I may struggle if all the plans go ahead it will be much details to cover ;)

Regardless, I'm really busy with the masts rigging (shrouds). Lower masts so far, I'm doing main mast now. Once I finish mizzen mast I will go ahead with bowsprit.

Your build looks great and you should be really proud of it. I already can't wait to see your updates and I'm sure you will surprise us with something ;)

All the best

Tom

Hi Tom your diary is an excellent help for me thanks for your efforts. This is also my first ship build and at the same time i started the Victory i also subscribed to the Eaglemoss Build the Endeavour so have got that to do next. I like what your saying about the sails, i agree and will do the same no doupt when i get to that stage, i have been busy turnig ropes into cables for my shroud lines, i used the terra 180 Gutterman and twisted 3x4 strands with left hand twist and right hand lay into rope, then used three ropes twisted right hand twist with left hand lay int a cable.
goddo
#49 Posted : 20 February 2022 13:11:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

You know, I keep looking at all the build diaries with the wonderful models and amazing home made rigging, ropes etc.
I did a bit of a search and couldn't find a sticky or instructional post on how to make your own rope or the tool thats needed to "weave" the different thicknesses.
It's too late for me to consider upgrading HMS Victory I think......then on the other hand, I've only rigged the foremast, so should/could I start again? Decisions. Decisions.
Anyway, if someone can point me in the direction of an idiots guide (I would need it to be words of two syllables), I would be most grateful.
Thanks. Chris
richard.l
#50 Posted : 20 February 2022 19:12:42

goddo wrote:
You know, I keep looking at all the build diaries with the wonderful models and amazing home made rigging, ropes etc.
I did a bit of a search and couldn't find a sticky or instructional post on how to make your own rope or the tool thats needed to "weave" the different thicknesses.
It's too late for me to consider upgrading HMS Victory I think......then on the other hand, I've only rigged the foremast, so should/could I start again? Decisions. Decisions.
Anyway, if someone can point me in the direction of an idiots guide (I would need it to be words of two syllables), I would be most grateful.
Thanks. Chris

Hi Chris, i only just looked into the rope making since January i am no expert, the ropewalk comes with instructions how to assemble and how to make the rope, also The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships has a section on rope making thats very informative , it's pretty simple process just looping thread between hooks and twisting together and laying the rope, it's a very time consuming process though as i am making each rope only as long as my arms can reach apart as you have to keep some tension in it whilst cranking one end. that can be overcome with enough space and additional pulleys and weights but to keep it simple i am making each shroud cable separately, each shroud cable is made of three ropes, of 3 cores and each core is 4 strands of Guttermann Terra 180 overlocking thread. you can buy the ropewalk online tho it was out of stock when i checked just now. there are some videos on YouTube that show the process as well.i have spent considerable time doing things twice or more before being happy with it, i am currently going back to re do all previously tied on blocks on the yards and masts to try an match Toms work, So if your brave enough to join in, i am learning as i go myself.
goddo
#51 Posted : 20 February 2022 19:53:45

richard.l wrote:
goddo wrote:
Thanks. Chris

Hi Chris, i only just looked into the rope making since January i am no expert, the ropewalk comes with instructions how to assemble and how to make the rope, also The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships has a section on rope making thats very informative , it's pretty simple process just looping thread between hooks and twisting together and laying the rope, it's a very time consuming process though as i am making each rope only as long as my arms can reach apart as you have to keep some tension in it whilst cranking one end. that can be overcome with enough space and additional pulleys and weights but to keep it simple i am making each shroud cable separately, each shroud cable is made of three ropes, of 3 cores and each core is 4 strands of Guttermann Terra 180 overlocking thread. you can buy the ropewalk online tho it was out of stock when i checked just now. there are some videos on YouTube that show the process as well.i have spent considerable time doing things twice or more before being happy with it, i am currently going back to re do all previously tied on blocks on the yards and masts to try an match Toms work, So if your brave enough to join in, i am learning as i go myself.

Thanks for the info Richard.
I shall be keeping my eye out for a ropewalk and then play with some of the Guttermann threads.
I'll keep you posted.
Chris
delboy271155
#52 Posted : 20 February 2022 20:26:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

goddo wrote:
richard.l wrote:
goddo wrote:
Thanks. Chris

Thanks for the info Richard.
I shall be keeping my eye out for a ropewalk and then play with some of the Guttermann threads.
I'll keep you posted.
Chris

This may be what you are looking for. Unfortunately it comes from Italy and is not cheap, but most probably available elsewhere.Blink

ebay item number 164969107383

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

richard.l
#53 Posted : 20 February 2022 20:59:42

Model Shipways Ropewalk Scale Ropemaking Tool is what i got its cheap out of stock on Cornwall model boats but may be available elsewhere cheaper.
tom.ganc
#54 Posted : 20 February 2022 22:47:09

Hello everyone

Looks like rope making became very popular lately and I'm really happy about it. It takes your model onto completely new level.
Let me share some of mine thoughts as I did quite a research in this matter. Most ropewalks available on the market are stupid expensive or poor quality and with limitations. I wanted to be able to do quite long ropes which then got me into some issues. The ropewalks have fixed length unless you make something from scratch. My Lego Technic contraption allows me to make really long ropes (I'm only limited by available space). The typical ropes I make are 3-4m long which is quite good as process of winding individual threads around is most time consuming.

I think it is about the time I post proper guide with pictures and instructions on how to build your own system from Lego. It is dead easy and you can buy individual components dead cheap on ebay. Of course if you think about more solid design you will need to invest in metal gears with bearings but this is another topic.

There is few aspects which are really important when you make your own rope. First one being tension when you twisting individual strands which is about 10-20%. It means that when your untwisted strands are 2m long you keep twisting until they shorten by 10-20%. I saw somewhere that this is optimal but I guess it will depend on the thread as some are more stretchy than others. Saying that you need to put some resistance on the thread to be able to have similar results. I attach the end into 2 bottles of water (1.5l each) and I drag them across the floor. It works well enough for me and until I get proper setup I'll stick with it.

Give me about a week so I can get proper guide in place and trust me, if you want to see great rigging you have to do your own ropes. There isn't any other way...

Regards
Stay tuned :)
Tom
goddo
#55 Posted : 21 February 2022 14:53:43

Hi Tom,
Yep, quite prepared to wait a while as this has really got under my skin now.
You mentioned that although currently out of stock, these bits of kit aren't cheap.
I checked on ebay for a Prosak v3.0 tool and it was £84.00. A bit steep for me. BigGrin BigGrin
Look forward to seeing all the tips, hints and tricks before I dive into this.
Chris
richard.l
#56 Posted : 02 March 2022 21:42:46

just added some extra detail on the gunport lids where the rope goes into the hull, just added some 1mm eyelets in and i think it looks good and very simple to do
tom.ganc
#57 Posted : 03 March 2022 13:32:37

Hi Richard

Looking good, I was thinking about doing the same thing but I'm not sure what I'm going to use. The real Victory has little pipes sticking out of the hull so I may go that direction. Right now I'm bit stuck with rigging ;)

Regards
Tom
richard.l
#58 Posted : 03 March 2022 20:33:08

Hi Tom yeah the real thing is difficult to replicate, i just copied what Olha did on hers
richard.l
#59 Posted : 09 March 2022 23:12:06

I have made a few alterations to the gunport lids, added my own rope and a few rings
z8000783
#60 Posted : 19 March 2022 08:48:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Fantastic work Richard.