Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Zero Paint Options
jase
#1 Posted : 17 January 2012 18:28:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I know we have touched slightly on paint for the Zero through the index. I haven't (may have missed?) seen anything officially on paint supply for the Deag Zero. I wondered If people wanted me to post the paints required as per the Tamiya kit? colours should be same what ever brand you purchase, however I can add the Tamiya codes. Also I understand Tamiya put some considerable research into getting the fuselage colour correct and is considered the closest match if you are doing the 'white' version; Tamiya do this as an aerosol.

I am not home until Thursday, but if people are interested I can post info then.

J Unsure
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
MWG
#2 Posted : 17 January 2012 18:46:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jase that would be very usefulBigGrin count me in please.

Regards

Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

SennaMentalMe
#3 Posted : 17 January 2012 18:53:12

Groups:

BigGrin Hello Jase,

It would be very useful if you could put them up, as any kind of cross reference on paint can only be helpful for those building the biggun, so thanks for that and look forward to seeing what Tamiya suggest !! Your kit looks very nice by the way and superb quality, should build into something special when all the etch is added.

BigGrin Kev
jase
#4 Posted : 18 January 2012 07:27:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OK I will post on the reference library Thursday night.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#5 Posted : 19 January 2012 22:35:31

I have tonight posted the paint list in the library.
Flapper
-Mark Twain
SennaMentalMe
#6 Posted : 19 January 2012 23:28:22

Groups:

jase wrote:
I have tonight posted the paint list in the library.
Flapper

BigGrin Hi Jase,

Thanks for that !! As the list is posted in the same thread as the index, I can't create a link to it per se, so I have added a note in the 'Aircraft Markings & Paint Reference' section to indicate to members that it can be found in post #19 of that same thread. I hope that is OK and thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together, much appreciated and very useful !!

BigGrin Kev
jase
#7 Posted : 20 January 2012 00:46:36

As long as people can find it thats all that matters

Thanks Cool
-Mark Twain
Percyiris
#8 Posted : 26 March 2014 03:15:15

Thank heavens for those people who took the time to post their findings, opinions, and build experience. I've gotten on board the hard way, through ebay. That's another topic I've commented on, so I'll let it go. But there was no way the crown jewel of A6M2's was going to get away.
The postings here on the paint conundrum have been a real education. I think I'll do a scantily clad subject, enough to see what's on the outside, but the more important and visually stimulating, refined parts that aren't often on display, will be revealed. What has me really undecided is whether to paint the entire inner structure aotake blue or to leave it unadorned and just paint and detail the cockpit and engine. As the work has just begun, I'll be a constant visitor to read and reread the generous and informative experiences of you all. Many thanks.
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 26 March 2014 23:09:33

BigGrin Glad we could be of service PercyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

alibaron
#10 Posted : 27 March 2014 19:44:29

Groups:

hello chaps and chapesses, call me dumb but, where is the reference library I hear about but cannot find??
thanks, BaronConfused
Tomick
#11 Posted : 27 March 2014 19:54:20

Groups:

alibaron
#12 Posted : 30 March 2014 21:58:46

Groups:

thank you - right under my nose
Tailfirst
#13 Posted : 03 April 2014 07:55:00

Percyiris wrote:
Thank heavens for those people who took the time to post their findings, opinions, and build experience. I've gotten on board the hard way, through ebay. That's another topic I've commented on, so I'll let it go. But there was no way the crown jewel of A6M2's was going to get away.
The postings here on the paint conundrum have been a real education. I think I'll do a scantily clad subject, enough to see what's on the outside, but the more important and visually stimulating, refined parts that aren't often on display, will be revealed. What has me really undecided is whether to paint the entire inner structure aotake blue or to leave it unadorned and just paint and detail the cockpit and engine. As the work has just begun, I'll be a constant visitor to read and reread the generous and informative experiences of you all. Many thanks.

For what it's worth, my own plan with regard to colouring is this: Info suggests that a lot of internal structure was left unpainted at all - with aotake being used only in areas that had some exposure to environment - such as in the cockpit / forward fuse area (with cockpit green painted over for the functional part of the cockpit), wheel wells and adjacent areas, flaps and tail wheel area. I think that might be more relevant to later in the war - but even for this model I'm planning to go with that description myself, as aotake everywhere seems a bit overkill. I'm also considering using a very light tint of aotake in otherwise clear for everywhere else with proper aotake in the areas I've described. And my personal take on aotake is a colour not unlike the green used in the "Post A Reply" bar above...
Percyiris
#14 Posted : 04 April 2014 08:03:14

As a newbie, I sure don't want to appear at all contrary to any opinions I've read here, but please bear with me.
Experten's experience may cause some difference of opinion; he uses a (mild I suspect) solution of lye and water to etch the aluminum prior to painting. Reading a can of lye, however, warned against using it on aluminum. For my part I think I'll stay safe and use the vinegar/soapy water method. Since it appears everyone is painting their model with some variation of schemes and for general adhesion success some preparation of the bare metal is used, I wonder if there are any other comments.
Tailfirst's comment on the aotake overkill jibes with my feeling on the painting the entire frame aotake blue.
Great support community, especially for someone with my modest skills. Thanks again.
experten
#15 Posted : 04 April 2014 17:10:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

Hello,

I suspect that the warning on the lye label is because when you immerse the aluminum in the solution, it gives off hydrogen gas. This can make life a bit exciting when done near a flame. When I do it, I do it outside! Other than that, no worries! Mostly, the reason I etched was to improve the glue adhesion.

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye

As far as painting, I definitely agree with "Aotake overkill!" I went with a paint scheme of my own devising, in that everything that is exterior on the A/C I left aluminum, with the exception of the cowl. Thi sis black, and the maintenance areas are heavily chipped. The aerial mast I painted in natural wood, and used a woodgrain decal on it. I found a couple of pictures online where it appeared to be in a natural state, as if replaced.
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0116%5b1%5d.JPG (2,711kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
Tired, Old, and Cranky!