Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Airbrushing help Options
Cally
#1 Posted : 07 May 2021 17:20:39

Groups: Registered

What's the best thinner for acrylic paints? and can water be used?
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 07 May 2021 18:27:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Cally

The Vallejo range is pretty good but I found a series of 'homemade' recipes on youtube which basically do the same thing for a lot less!
I tried such a thinner with the Vallejo Metal Colour paints and it definitely worked better than plain water which I used the first time.
The recipe is:

2/3rds water (distilled if you live in a hard water region)
1/3rd Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol)
About 10 drops of Glycerin

Plain water will work but the added isopropyl and glycerin improve the mix.
Have a look on youtube and you'll find dozens of videos (the airbrush cleaner works great too!)

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 07 May 2021 20:25:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cally wrote:
What's the best thinner for acrylic paints? and can water be used?

I generally use the thinner the manufacturer recommends and defintely use a flow improver. Acrylics are fantastic.The only issue I have is they can clog the tip of the airbrush and then they "spit" a big glob of drying paint right onto the surface you are painting so frequently check your tip and thin the paint a bit to get smooth flow.

Carl

Cally
#4 Posted : 07 May 2021 21:38:37

Many thanks Fellas. Had the spitting issue with my first go last week using only water. Glad i asked now!!