Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Solder sticking out of ultrasound sensor Options
NathanR
#1 Posted : 08 May 2021 13:31:41

Groups: Registered

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice about the ultrasound sensor that came with issue 48. I've already had to ask for a replacement, as the cable was breaking away from the sensor on the original, but the new one has what looks like a small blob of solder sticking out of the white packing material that surrounds the cable. Do you think this sensor will be safe to use?

I was thinking about putting a sticker over the back, just to make sure the solder is protected from the metal framework of the leg, but I'm not sure if that would interfere with the operation of the sensor. Any thoughts?
File Attachment(s):
R2D2 Sensor.JPG (514kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
S4Simon
#2 Posted : 08 May 2021 13:57:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

There are no dangerous voltages or current running thru the sensor. 5vdc at most, and milliamperes of current. Once installed the sensor will be safe. Sensor is also mounted in plastic, and from memory is not located near any metal framework. Install the sensor and test it. That’s pretty much it. The sensors in the R2 unit are pretty much bullet proof.
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
NathanR
#3 Posted : 08 May 2021 14:06:40

Oh, that's brilliant, thanks for the reassurance!