Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Missippi River Boat Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 05 June 2021 12:05:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thought I would have a go at this build

Have already started and will post some pictures soon
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
M1.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
GilShapley
#2 Posted : 05 June 2021 13:09:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Have been busy, well I did start this build a while ago but only just got around to posting on the forum.
As I add more picture you will see I have made some minor changes. The build instruction require careful reading. They are basically "Using the numbered parts as per the build list construct the next stage which will look like the picture"
Some plans are also provided which are on a 1/1 scale and these are helpful.

It has been challenging but also interesting
M2.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 05 June 2021 16:39:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Well don`t you lose any time in getting this one going.LOL LOL

This looks like a very nice kit and I wish you well with the build.

You have me hooked and I`ll be looking in.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

GilShapley
#4 Posted : 05 June 2021 17:57:13

All cabins will be furnished with various items. The colour of the furniture varies depending on which room they will be situated in
M3.jpg
GilShapley
#5 Posted : 06 June 2021 08:04:12

Two decks cabins now have their interiors decorated. Still to show the Wheel house

The capstan is not that provided as this seem too small and I had a better one in my stash (where would we be without a stash ?? BigGrin BigGrin )

Furniture to be added next
M4.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 06 June 2021 09:21:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice kit, a nice start. Drool Love

Mark
Silent_Running
#7 Posted : 07 June 2021 11:27:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Lovely work Gill, with papered walls and furniture this going to look fantastic.
Regards
Glenn BigGrin
GilShapley
#8 Posted : 08 June 2021 14:35:58

Furniture painted and installed in the cabins and on the decks.
Deck benches assembled painted and added to the decks
Modified the small white deck enclosures by using small chrome spheres.(They are in fact parts of a sink plug chain which happened to be the right size and fitted with no problems.
Added a music score and keyboard to the piano. Used publisher to resize pictures I found on the internet. Resized and printed on address labels. I like the effect.
I replaced the Barrels on the deck with some from my stash. Theses are slightly larger but better than those provided.

The next step is to assemble the decks and then add the external beams.

M5.jpg
M6.jpg
M7.jpg
M8.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#9 Posted : 08 June 2021 18:08:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

This is looking very good Gil and you're building it very quickly too. Can't believe we're only on post #8 and already quite a way through the build, although I realise that you started this prior to opening the build diary. I especially like the look of that two-toned wooden deck, reminds me of the red and white stripes on the American flag, which is very appropriate for a Mississippi river boat!

Keep up the good work. Cool ThumpUp

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
darbyvet
#10 Posted : 08 June 2021 21:06:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Super work as awlays Gil.

Carl

GilShapley
#11 Posted : 12 June 2021 13:13:00

Started to add the external beams. In order to ensure even spacing I made a spacer from offcuts. In addition to gluing the beams I have added brass pins. This is for several reasons. It holds the beams in place whist the glue dries, some of the beams on the port side need to be removable to facilitate access to the removable sides of the cabins. These beams will be pinned only.It is my intention to display the model with these sides removed to show the setup within each cabin. Should I wish to change the setup I will need access. Also I like the look of the added pins.Have started adding the barrier, next step is to add the remaining beams.
M14.jpg
M9.jpg
M10.jpg
M11.jpg
M12.jpg
darbyvet
#12 Posted : 12 June 2021 16:03:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Man you are steaming through this build (see what I did there).It looks great.

Carl

GilShapley
#13 Posted : 14 June 2021 11:38:58

Well that's the remaining exterior beams added. Also the balustrades with the handrails.Have to be extra careful now as it is far to easy the knock things off.

Next step is to add masts and the deck railing wires
M15.jpg
M16.jpg
M17.jpg
GilShapley
#14 Posted : 15 June 2021 19:21:12

All angle brackets have been painted white and installed on the top deck. All masts and stretchers have now been installed. To ensure they are firmly attached I have inserted lengths of 1mm brass rods into the base of each mast and drilled holes in the deck to accommodate them. Rigging was then added where required. The gangways where attached to the front deck and rigging added. This rigging is to raise and lower the gangways as required. I have installed them so that they can still be raised and lowered and are not is a fixed position. Flag attached to the front starboard mast, again I have installed this so that the flag can be raised and lowered.
Steam engine installed and painted as per instructions
Deck pillars installed and painted white or red where indicated, I have used white cotton to link the pillars
Just the turbine wheel to fit to the stern. I note from pictures I have view on the internet that the turbine wheel on some of these steamers have additional straps around the blades of the wheel so I have modified mine to match
M18.jpg
M19.jpg
M20.jpg
M21.jpg
M22.jpg
M23.jpg
Markwarren
#15 Posted : 16 June 2021 08:00:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Wow, that is some very nice work.Love Love Love looks stunning.Drool

Mark
GilShapley
#16 Posted : 17 June 2021 11:47:28

Paddle now added, decided to modify the construction by adding additional straps to the blades. So having drilled 56 holes and inserted 56 brass pins I must say I am happy with the finished look.
Only!! got the life preservers to fix in place once painted. Then comes the hard job. What do I make next?

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
M24.jpg
M25.jpg
GilShapley
#17 Posted : 23 June 2021 14:04:23

Waiting for some replacement life preservers as I don't like the finish of those supplied. Cornwall Models have some the right size.
Meanwhile thoughts turn to the display case. Have got some American white oak, a nice wood to work with. Have cut the pieces I need and now just have to assemble the framework from the jigsaw puzzle of pieces. Will get a local glazier to cut the glass to size. As I have done with previous cases the back sheet of glass will be a mirror. As the model will be against a wall the mirror will display that side of the model
M26.jpg
tf64
#18 Posted : 25 June 2021 16:08:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gill,

I have seen this build and often wondered about it, but looking at your model Gill I can't believe how it has turned out for you, just stunning.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

GilShapley
#19 Posted : 26 June 2021 10:07:47

Whilst busy making the display case I noticed that the two forward masts that support the landing slipways have started to lean away from the boat. These thin masts are only attached to the deck. So to avoid any future potential problems I have added lashings to the upper part of the masts, attaching them to the beams in what I hope is a shipshape manner
M28.jpg
GilShapley
#20 Posted : 04 July 2021 16:20:00

Finally crossed the finishing line. Just the display case to make now.
I have made OCcre before. I find their components of a good standard and their customer service is excellent. Broken or missing parts are replaced quickly. Their build instruction are brief, "here are the parts you need and here is a picture of what it should look like". Been spoilt by Deagostini build guides. I found this model a challenge but am happy with the end result.Made a few changes to the build to "make it my own"Pictures attached
M29.jpg
M30.jpg
M31.jpg
M32.jpg
M33.jpg