Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

WW1 Scharnhorst Class Options
budgie
#1 Posted : 20 June 2021 11:39:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Folks
after a considerable break away from modelling, some enthusiasm has returned for me to make another attempt at the card conversion of the SMS Gneisenau

Templates enlarged onto card. This reduces the chance of any wrinkles while gluing to MDF

MDF templates roughly cut out with an electric jigsaw, and finished off iaw with pics (if u can see 'em Flapper )

I see Ken has started a card conversion so will try and pinch some of his ideasCool
budgie attached the following image(s):
template 1.jpg
template2.jpg
template3.jpg
template 4.jpg
Ken
#2 Posted : 20 June 2021 14:19:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Budgie
Nice to see another conversion. That looks like its going to be a great model.
Feel free to pinch any of my ideas.
Ken

Completed Models
IJN Yamato, Hachette Titanic, Del Prado Victory, Tamiya 1/16 RC Pershing Tank, HMS Naiad, HMS Prince of Wales, Admiral Hipper, Tirpitz, USS North Carolina
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 20 June 2021 17:30:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Its great to see you back on the conversion projects again Budgie - best of luck with this one too!Cool Cool
One day I'll start my own plasticard project (once I've found my way around this Ferrari!)Blink

Robin.

First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#4 Posted : 21 June 2021 23:07:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back Budgie, you've been missed.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#5 Posted : 03 July 2021 17:12:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Blushing Thanks for commenting guys appreciated

Any Hoos thought I would post progress
as I have a billion views so farConfused

No that's not right.. I have refreshed my page a billion times to see photo's I have postedFlapper

Ah well took me a while to figure out what the wee screw is for on the sanding drumCrying
Couldn't figure out why the sand paper kept slipping offLOL

The slots are sanded by gluing a piece of sand paper to the 2mm mdf.
Hopefully the parts will all slot together without putting stress on the keel

Progressing with prepping upper frames fwd section
screw.jpg
sand.jpg
upper frame1.jpg
Plymouth57
#6 Posted : 03 July 2021 21:13:25

Thanks for the screw tip Budgie! I just checked my various sanding drum thingies and they've got screws there too - can't remember ever using them though but its nice to know what they're there for!Blushing Blushing Blushing
Coming along really well!Cool

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
budgie
#7 Posted : 04 July 2021 17:44:20

BigGrin Hi Folks
started gluing fwd frames
The way the frames and false decks slot together keeps everything squarish
lower fwd1.jpg
fwd2.jpg
fwd1.jpg
Ken
#8 Posted : 05 July 2021 13:24:37

Nice to see hull taking shape. Will keep watching
Ken

Completed Models
IJN Yamato, Hachette Titanic, Del Prado Victory, Tamiya 1/16 RC Pershing Tank, HMS Naiad, HMS Prince of Wales, Admiral Hipper, Tirpitz, USS North Carolina
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

Gandale
#9 Posted : 05 July 2021 23:05:04

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making good steady progress Budgie, all looking good....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#10 Posted : 10 July 2021 08:56:03

Hi Folks
progressing aft

Despite keeping the 2nd keel weighted on a flat surface she aint exactly straightLOL

Not concerned as it will straighten without forcing as the frames and decks interlockCool
mid.jpg
mid1.jpg
mid2.jpg
mid3.jpg
budgie
#11 Posted : 10 July 2021 17:15:31

BigGrin Hi Folks
continuing to cut sand and DRY fit below parts
aft1.jpg
aft2.jpg
aft3.jpg
aft4.jpg
budgie
#12 Posted : 11 July 2021 12:31:12

Continuing with dry fitting decks

The upper decks seem to be a better fit this time around with no gap between them???
Will find out when I start gluing together laterCrying

deck.jpg
deck1.jpg
deck2.jpg
deck3.jpg
deck4.jpg
deck5.jpg
Ken
#13 Posted : 13 July 2021 12:05:16

Taking shape nicely. Good to see your previous problem has not shown itself this time.
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

budgie
#14 Posted : 17 July 2021 15:32:51

Hi Folks
this model supplies templates for gluing to either side of the lower frames to support the "card" infills between the frames
This was enlarged and transferred to 3mm mdf
There's a lot of them to do Crying
support.jpg
support2.jpg
budgie
#15 Posted : 25 July 2021 13:25:42

Blink Slow progress this week
frame sup.jpg
frame sup1.jpg
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 25 July 2021 15:58:42

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice progress, excellent work. Love

Mark
budgie
#17 Posted : 31 July 2021 19:51:15

BigGrin Evening Folks
started filling lower frames using 3mm balsa
stripper.jpg
lower plank.jpg
lower plank 1.jpg
Plymouth57
#18 Posted : 31 July 2021 21:22:46

Beautiful work as always Budgie (And I DO like the look of that stripper of yours - I bet that's a great help in forming the planks!)Cool Cool

Robin