Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Malc's Pocher Fiat F2 Options
RM1
#1 Posted : 27 July 2021 08:04:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

My first Pocher kit and my first non F1 build. I found this one on the net and it’s got a few little extra details. Not all the packets are intact some I’m hoping that everything is there. It’s the K70 kit from the States in the 1970’s.
The Fiat 130 HP F2 was a 1907 car that scooped up many of the major racing prizes of its day. Four cylinder 16.286 Litre… !!! Must have been quite a job to crank that over by hand.
I’m thinking of deviating from the red colour scheme and going for Black which I’ve seen done on a great build of this kit by Rick Levene featured on the Model Motorcars site.

https://www.modelmotorca...ck-levene-usa-1907fiat/

First job is to start identifying the parts. The numbering system is not exactly what I would call Intuitive…. Roy’s restoration build of this kit is going to be a great help.

Malc.
RM1 attached the following image(s):
F2-1.jpg
F2-2.jpg
F2-3.jpg
F2-4.jpg
F2-5.jpg
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 27 July 2021 09:24:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I'm sure you'll have great fun with this kit.
My build was from a very tatty box of scrap so I had to work with what I had but an un-started kit will give you even more scope to go potty.

I'll be watching in.BigGrin
RM1
#3 Posted : 28 July 2021 14:41:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Roy. yep..... can have a bit of fun with this one. It's surprisingly big BigGrin I'll have to find a special shelf it BigGrin
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 28 July 2021 14:50:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

ooh I cant wait to see what you can do with this Malc. Pocher kits are very frustrating IMO, but well worth all the effort.

Carl

RM1
#5 Posted : 01 December 2021 13:04:06

This has been a while… Stuff happens that you’re just not expecting but I seem to have my motivation back and I’ve got cracking on the Pocher Fiat F2.
This is really a very awkward kind of a kit. I know it’s the best part of 50 years old but the quality of mouldings ( from material to assembly design ) leaves a lot to be desired and the “instructions” just complete the challenge. BigGrin
Here’s a picture of a typical assembly guide. Each part has a 5 digit code comprising the kit number ( K70 in this case ) and a 3 digit sequential number, then the 2 or 3 digit sprue or parts bag number, then a colour code and finally an assembly method icon ( glue, screw, press, hammer etc. ) .
The plastics tend to be quite poor mouldings with lots of flashing and can be brittle…
But on the other hand there’s loads of machined brass parts , upholstery to do and wooden wheels so it’s not all bad. Where would the fun be if it put itself together..? BigGrin BigGrin

Malc.

F2-6.jpg
RM1
#6 Posted : 01 December 2021 13:07:37

Made a start on the ICE...BigGrin
F2-7.jpg
F2-8.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#7 Posted : 02 December 2021 22:07:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wow! You're not wrong there Malc, that is a seriously complex set of build instructions! So much so that I'm surprised that anybody could ever manage to figure it out and actually get one of these kits built and finished!

Looks like you're making a great job of figuring it out though Malc and I'm sure you'll produce a very nice model at the end of it. Glad you have you're mojo back, kinda missed your updates on the forum and I'll definitely be following the continuation of this very interesting build.

Keep it coming! Drool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
admin
#8 Posted : 03 December 2021 08:24:04

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Mr Hiro, over at Model Factory Hiro is also doing a build of this car. I'd LOVE to see the two of you do bang up builds of this. I'd get the link to the Forum posts over to him.

It was my first completed Pocher, back in the mid 90's. I have fond memories of the build. I got another one, and have all the Model Motorcars goodies for it. Some day.....

Stay well,

Mark
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 04 December 2021 10:21:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice start.Love Love Those instructions aren’t for the faint hearted.BigGrin

Mark
RM1
#10 Posted : 07 December 2021 09:57:54

Thanks , Kev, Mark and Mark for the encouraging comments. I’ll have a look at Mr Hiro’s build and hopefully get some useful tips. BigGrin

The kit that I obtained also has the Model Motorcars wooden wheels , brass Rockers and Seat upholstery extras.

I’ve started to sort through and identify the parts, especially the brass pieces which have been mixed up a little by the previous owner. So far everything seems to be in the bo
x.
F2-11.jpg
F2-12.jpg
RM1
#11 Posted : 07 December 2021 10:00:21

The two chassis rails have moulded on nuts and bolts which I’ve removed and replaced with Brass hex’ head bolts. I’m going with a more black colour finish so that the final build ( although maybe not so authentic ) will look less “plastic”.
F2-9.jpg
F2-10.jpg
F2-13.jpg
F2-14.jpg
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 07 December 2021 17:13:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Really good to see another one of these coming together. It looks great.
I'm following along.BigGrin
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 08 December 2021 10:11:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work Malc.Love Drool Drool coming together very nicely.

Mark
RM1
#14 Posted : 18 January 2022 13:20:32

Thanks Mark and Roy for looking in and commenting.

This kit is pretty old and although it appears complete there are a few damaged parts which will need attention.
The radiator back plate had a corner broken out. Luckily the bits were still in the plastic bag and will be fine once painted. The Brass strip was partially formed and twisted and took some wrestling to get into shape.
Malc.

F2-15.jpg
F2-16.jpg
F2-17.jpg
F2-17.jpg
F2-16.jpg
RM1
#15 Posted : 25 January 2022 09:24:45

The steering box is a neat little assembly . The Main gear has to be pressed onto the shaft. I had to grind away clearance for the worm gear to turn freely. The 1.6mm Brass bolts replace the gluing together method of the kit and look better .BigGrin
Malc.
F2-19.jpg
F2-18.jpg
F2-21.jpg
bfam4t6
#16 Posted : 25 January 2022 23:57:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very cool! Nice work so far. One of these days I need to build a class Pocher kit
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

RM1
#17 Posted : 02 February 2022 10:23:39

Thanks for looking in Dustin.

There aren't any photoetch parts in this kit but there is a sheet of Brass blankings ( shows the age of the kit I guess BigGrin ). These are partially formed and need some careful bending to get into the correct shapes such as Clevises and in this case the friction damper bands.
Malc.
F2-22.jpg
F2-23.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#18 Posted : 05 February 2022 22:59:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Excellent work as usual Malc, all looking very neat and tidy and a very skilful fix on that broken radiator back, very difficult to tell that it was even broken in the first place!

Keep up the good work Malc and I wish you every success with the rest of the build, I know you'll make a great job of it! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#19 Posted : 01 March 2022 12:08:22

Thanks for the comments Kev.

I've now identified and prepared a lot of the major pieces. Time to get cracking on the details and assembly.

Malc.
F2-24.jpg
F2-25.jpg
F2-26.jpg
F2-27.jpg
RM1
#20 Posted : 23 March 2022 09:42:21

Trial fitting of the engine parts has given me a good idea of where everything goes and what I can add with extra details.

There’s a really ugly joint between the carburettor inlet pipe and the manifold. This will get filled and sanded smooth. I’m adding some oil pipe detail around the base of the cylinders. 1mm aluminium wire, copper coating will do the job ( Bonsai wire ) . The Tee pieces are from 1mm ID Brass tube. The oil lines will be routed into the underside of the Oil tank that sits behind the “dashboard”.

I’m adding M1.2 threaded rod and nuts to the spark plugs to secure the leads.
Alclad II polished Brass for the brass look everywhere.

Malc.

F2-28.jpg
F2-29.jpg
F2-30.jpg
F2-31.jpg
F2-32.jpg
F2-33.jpg
F2-34.jpg
F2-35.jpg