Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

**** Minimising the need for Forum Scrolling - Please Read **** Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 11 August 2021 15:19:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

It was recently reported that the Forum was failing to show when the latest posts were made to many of the topics, especially on the 'Last Post' column on the homepage. Investigations have shown that this was due to the way the various forum's were compressed in trying to reduce the amount of unnecessary scrolling. Happy to say this reporting problem has now been resolved however, keeping the amount of scrolling required will be down to individual members setting their forum homepage.

As can be seen in the first pic below, the forum has been split into a number of Main Categories and next to each category name you will see either a '+' or a '-'. Clicking on the '+' (not the category name) will expand the topic list and '-' will collapse the menu. You can see by the second pic below how I have set my home page, it shows all the categories in a compressed state together with the 'Active Discussion' area, allowing me to instantly see when new posts have been made. To keep my scrolling to a minimum, I only expand the categories I am most interested in, others I leave until I have a need to go into them, compressing the category again when done. Pic 3 shows how I have the 'Period Ships' expanded, (my preferred genre) thus minimal scrolling being required to see the 'Active Discussion' area.

It is recommended members collapse the categories they have very little interest in and expand their preferred genre. Obviously, if members wish to see all of the forum by expanding all categories then the requirement to scroll down will be greatly increased. When closing the forum you will find it will open up again in the same condition you left it.

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
Res 4.JPG
Res 1.JPG
Res 3.JPG
Gandale
#2 Posted : 23 August 2021 08:54:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Bumping this back up the board in the hope as many members as possible see it and follow the advice given...... it'll make navigating the forum so much easier......

Regards

Alan