Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Another wreck - Tamiya Lola Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 07 September 2021 14:00:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Well, we're just heading into Autumn once more. (Lovely warm day today though - might fire up the Barbie later on...)

Anyway, time to start sticking plastic together again although at present I'm deep into re-filming a hand drawn and painted cell animated cartoon short I made around 40 years ago.
I lost the original film many years ago but still have most of my art.
I've built a new animation camera stand (Rostrum) and have the lighting sorted. Some art to re-draw and re-paint. Then time to start.
I might post bits in the 'What else do we do' section.

That aside, I've pulled out another wreck from my stash of junk kits to see what I can do with it.
It was part built when I got it. Not too shabby either but I'm still going to strip it down as much as possible and start again.

Currently Googling race colour schemes that are a bit different.

On we go...
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1019763.JPG
P1019764.JPG
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 08 September 2021 10:55:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Ok, off we go.

Any guesses?
P1019765.JPG
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 08 September 2021 13:41:41

Rear inner bulkhead cut down and temporarily screwed to tail section to give shape and support...
roymattblack
#4 Posted : 08 September 2021 13:41:41

Rear inner bulkhead cut down and temporarily screwed to tail section to give shape and support.
Tail end cut down and re-shaped. Still lots to do.
P1019766.JPG
P1019767.JPG
P1019768.JPG
kpnuts
#5 Posted : 08 September 2021 20:59:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice to see you bring another model back it its rightful glory
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Kev the Modeller
#6 Posted : 09 September 2021 16:24:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice start Roy, though interested to know why you've dissected the engine cover? I'm sure this will be a fab model when finished and will definitely be following your restoration build, should be fun!!

The Lola T70 is one of the few Tamiya 1:12 kits that I didn't get to build when it was first released back in the '70s. Always wanted to build one but never got round to it, which I think is because I was busy buying and building all of the Tamiya F1 kits as they were released. Sad to say, none of them survived the years that followed! Sad

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#7 Posted : 10 September 2021 08:19:19

Many thanks for looking in chaps.

So as to stop anyone wondering what on earth I'm doing chopping up the rear and re-shaping the back end - Here's what I'm aiming to make.
John Surtees Lola T70 Spyder.
John-Surtees-and-prototype-Lola-T70-CanAm-Spyder-6.jpg
John-Surtees-and-prototype-Lola-T70-CanAm-Spyder-.jpg
andali15
#8 Posted : 10 September 2021 13:11:42

I’m sure you will do a great job. Watching with interest to see this come together. Andy.
Kev the Modeller
#9 Posted : 10 September 2021 15:11:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Doh! Of course it is! Why didn't I think of that? Blink Huh

I have to say Roy I like the look of the full bodied T70, but actually I find this version much more pleasing to the eye, very sleek, and with the roof taken off the engine cover that engine will be fully on display to make a nice model even more interesting?!

Great choice Roy, I'm sure you'll make a fantastic job of this build and I will definitely be following this diary. Will you be 'plunge moulding' a new flatter windscreen for this maybe?

Well done! Drool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#10 Posted : 10 September 2021 15:20:34

I haven't thought about the screen yet... lol...LOL LOL LOL
Kev the Modeller
#11 Posted : 10 September 2021 15:32:58

roymattblack wrote:
I haven't thought about the screen yet... lol...LOL LOL LOL

I haven't looked but there must be loads of tutorial videos on Youtube to show you how to do 'plunge moulding' if you haven't already tried it? Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the screen when you get to it Roy! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#12 Posted : 11 September 2021 09:02:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice kit Roy, count me as one of your followers, should be a very interesting build.Cool

Mark
roymattblack
#13 Posted : 12 September 2021 09:54:49

Thanks for peeping in chaps.

The rear deck has been made from sheet plastic and added, and then (umpteen) card templates were made to create the modified air intakes.
These were finally made in sheet plastic and glued in place.

Ok, I now have a rough tail end.
Lots of filler and sanding next...
P1019770.JPG
P1019772.JPG
P1019773.JPG
P1019774.JPG
kpnuts
#14 Posted : 12 September 2021 16:09:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thats looking great Roy
roymattblack
#15 Posted : 14 September 2021 09:50:54

Many thanks Ken.

The rear end has had a first load of filler, sanding and a light grey coat to show up where it needs filling next, so still more filling and sanding to do.

The front end on the T70 Spyder opens in a different place to the standard cars so I glued the parts together and then cut them apart in the correct place.
On we go...
P1019775.JPG
P1019776.JPG
P1019811.JPG
P1019812.JPG
P1019814.JPG
kpnuts
#16 Posted : 14 September 2021 21:26:51

Nice
Kev the Modeller
#17 Posted : 17 September 2021 13:48:14

You're making great progress with this already Roy, and though I'm sure it is a lot of laborious chopping, filling and sanding at this stage as it always is with any conversion, the rewards for taking your time at this stage will be a fabulous model when you get to the finish!

Really looking forward to seeing how this develops Roy, keep it coming! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#18 Posted : 19 September 2021 18:26:09

Many thanks for peeping in chaps.

After a LOT of filling, sanding, filling, sanding, the rear has a coat of primer to show imperfections.
Still more filling and sanding needed and I've got to make a new rear panel as yet.
On we go...
P1019817.JPG
roymattblack
#19 Posted : 22 September 2021 10:39:35

A little more for those following along.

The rear end of the engine cover is completely different to a normal T70.
I've had to cut away the old rear and make a new one in sheet plastic.
Still lots of shaping and filling etc to do but the coats of grey primer give me a good idea of imperfections.
Slowly getting there...
P1019768.JPG
P1019813.JPG
P1019818.JPG
P1019819.JPG
Kev the Modeller
#20 Posted : 04 October 2021 19:17:18

That's a nice bit of conversion work Roy, not as easy to do as you make it look and looking good too!

Keep those updates coming! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra