Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Multiple questions on assembling dome (issue 64) Options
NathanR
#1 Posted : 11 October 2021 13:41:07

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I'm trying to do issue 64 and get the head frame attached to the main dome, and I have a few problems.

1) The double sided tape used to secure one of the panels on the inside of the dome isn't sticking very well, I think I positioned the tape wrong so the plate doesn't have enough to stick to. It won't be supported by one the Allan key screws later, either. Can anyone advise what type of double sided tape I should get for a replacement? Or would I be ok just gluing the panel in place?

2) When I fit the dome onto the frame, everything lines up fine until I screw in all 6 screws to lock the top disc in place. Once I do that, the dome ends up rotated by about half a millimetre with respect to the frame, which doesn't sound much, but it means the lightsaber dome panel doesn't open all the time. The panel can slide left and right a little, and usually ends up jammed when it's edge slides under the dome. Any tips and tricks for ensuring the dome panel moves ok?

3) Something I noticed when I dug out the issue 6 LCD panel is that there is quite a lot of white light leaking out to the frame around the edges of the LCD panel. Is there any way to stop this?
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 12 October 2021 08:53:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi
First, any decent double sided tape should do, don’t buy too cheap. You can get 3M double sided tape from Amazon in various width’s.

The LCD unit should be fine once inside the dome, I had no issues with mine.

As for the dome fitting, it would be great for some picture so I can see what is going on.

Thanks
Mark