Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Updated Thermal Detonator Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 17 October 2021 18:45:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Just thought I would post an updated Thermal Detonator 3d printed design.

I have a family member that quite took to my thermal detonator I built a while ago. So, I thought it would be nice to present him one for his up-and-coming birthday.

Now, whilst mine was the first I had built and experimented with the 3d printing and electronics, it isn’t the easiest to switch on, and you must be very careful with all the cables inside.

I went about completely redesigning the insides, so it will be easier to access the kill switch. It now comes with a handle to pull out to charge the battery via a USB charger.

I have also redesigned the shell and now comes with magnetic clips to hold everything together.

As you can see, I have also designed a presentation box. Just hope he likes it.

Mark

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5 (2).jpg
5 (4).jpg
5 (6).jpg
5 (7).jpg
5 (8).jpg
5 (11).jpg
5 (12).jpg
5 (13).jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 23 December 2021 14:50:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Following on from my previous post. The Thermal Detonator went down extremely well only for another member of my family being very jealous. I decided to make one for him as a Christmas present. Whilst making the other one, I experimented on trying to lose any cables inside to make it easier for the operation of the kill switch. After many hours of drawing in CAD, I came up with this, version 3.
The original detonator design come in two halves of the dome, so I redesigned it as three sections. This is now top, bottom and centre ring. It also makes it easier to paint with the ring separate and enabled me to design an inner section completely sealed from view.
The original speaker sound was very quiet and once assemble inside was difficult to hear. So, using a transistor I made an amplifier to enhance the sound as well as beefing up the speaker itself. It all had to be very precise as space was not a friend of mine. I ended up with barely a millimetre to play with.
The front lights have also been altered and are more represented of the original prop.
Anyway, here are some pictures of the finished prototype. I will be making a full video tutorial very soon with all items needed to make this along with the electronics tutorial. All STL files will be available soon.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg
1 (3).jpg
1 (4).jpg
1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg
1 (9).jpg
1 (10).jpg
1 (11).jpg
1 (12).jpg
Andreas
#3 Posted : 23 December 2021 16:38:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

This is again an excellent job Mark.LoveIt's amazing what you can do when you got Painting skills, Arduino and a printerBigGrin . I like the whole color scheme, it's like real. I'm looking forward to get those files.BigGrin

Stay well, and my you and your Family have a Merry Christmas!

best Andreas
Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/