Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
ANOTHER big Lotus 72 Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 21 October 2021 21:04:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

This one next - it will be my 4th giant Entex '72. (still one more after this)

A Gold Leaf version this time - the Jochen Rindt car...
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1019849.JPG
gallery_23154_1510_8407.jpg
Kev the Modeller
#2 Posted : 24 October 2021 12:41:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well I've got my popcorn and coffee and pulled up a chair ready to watch this one Roy!! A very nice choice of scheme, always loved the 'Gold Leaf' colours, very eye catching and the Lotus 72 is a beautiful car but even more so in that scheme!

Will be following this one all of the way with great interest! Drool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
admin
#3 Posted : 24 October 2021 16:08:36

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

The Gold Leaf livery is one of the more attractive schemes out there. I’m very partial to it on the Lotus 49 cars.

Kev, pass the popcorn, please!

Best,

Mark

roymattblack
#4 Posted : 28 October 2021 11:53:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Well - a bit of a surprise here.

The 'new, sealed' kit turns out to be made up from more than one Lotus 72 kits, all part-built, and then broken down and bagged to create a complete kit.
I know it came from more than one model as parts that have been broken apart don't match up - meaning they are from at least 2 broken up kits, and mixed.

Cleverly, the seller has access to a clear plastic sealing machine - the parts bags are all sealed, with the broken up parts inside.
Even the main outer box was heavily sealed to the extent that the taped-up box lid didn't show through the clear wrap.

It was bought LONG ago, so no point trying to say anything now and TBH - as long as the kit is complete, I'll sort it anyway.

Attached are a few pics of 'so far.

Getting the side body panels to fit to the under floor was a bit challenging, as the parts don't match meaning a lot of glue and broken plastic to remove.
It's rough at the moment but will get sanded, filled and sorted before paint.
P1019862.JPG
P1019858.JPG
P1019861.JPG
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 31 October 2021 09:51:34

The main body parts have been assembled after a lot of cleaning up and it's all now masked and in white primer.
Some sanding prep to do and then the lower white gloss coat will go on.
P1019863.JPG
P1019864.JPG
P1019868.JPG
kpnuts
#6 Posted : 31 October 2021 13:47:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Another great start mate.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
roymattblack
#7 Posted : 31 October 2021 16:55:11

Thanks for peeping in Ken.

The white primer has had over 24 hours to dry so after a light sanding, the car underside has had a few coats of gloss white.

Also, the nose parts are assembled and the front wings suitably modified.
Also now in white primer...
P1019871.JPG
P1019873.JPG
P1019869.JPG
P1019874.JPG
Kev the Modeller
#8 Posted : 31 October 2021 23:01:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work as always Roy. Now that you have the gloss white coat on I'm guessing that glorious red and gold won't be far behind?!

Nice start. Keep it coming, as I know you surely will!? Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#9 Posted : 02 November 2021 11:56:21

You're not far wrong Kev...
P1019879.JPG
roymattblack
#10 Posted : 02 November 2021 17:55:22

Just an update...
Gold on the front next...
P1019885.JPG
P1019886.JPG
P1019887.JPG
kpnuts
#11 Posted : 02 November 2021 20:29:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Roy
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Kev the Modeller
#12 Posted : 03 November 2021 21:00:51

Some very neat and tidy paintwork there Roy and looking good now that the red is on. Can't wait for the gold!! Drool ThumpUp

Is that gold cheatline painted or one of your home-made decals?

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#13 Posted : 03 November 2021 22:14:54

Hello Kev.

The gold line is actually a fine line cut from very thin auto vinyl.
The nose area will have to be masked and painted - GULP!!!
P1019899.JPG
Gandale
#14 Posted : 05 November 2021 09:50:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Progressing beautifully Roy. Do love the finish you achieve on the bodywork...Drool Drool Drool .. Another stunner being assembled no doubt.....Drool Cool Drool Cool

Regards

Alan
Kev the Modeller
#15 Posted : 21 November 2021 22:07:16

It will be quite tricky to match the gold paint exactly to the same finish as that vinyl tape I'd imagine Roy? Would it not have been better just to mask what is essentially just a straight coachline and use the same gold paint as you intend to use on the nosecone? Just a thought.

Any progress Roy? Looking forward to seeing more of this one! CoolThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#16 Posted : 22 November 2021 23:41:27

Many thanks for looking in Kev.

I was reaslly carefull to take a vinyl sample to the paint supplier (Halfords...!)
To get the best match I could.
Fingers crossed.BigGrin
Kev the Modeller
#17 Posted : 25 November 2021 21:39:57

roymattblack wrote:
Many thanks for looking in Kev.

I was really careful to take a vinyl sample to the paint supplier (Halfords...!)
To get the best match I could.
Fingers crossed.BigGrin

Nice one Roy, that should make things easier! ThumpUp

I'm thinking of maybe getting Halfords to do a colour match for me on an old DC-3 aircraft build that I started on here a few years ago but didn't progress very far with? Hoping to revive that build some time in the new year if I can find the time! Blink Sad

How much did they charge to get a colour matched aerosol and how many millilitres was it if you don't mind me asking?

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#18 Posted : 26 November 2021 17:16:40

Hello Kev.

Halfords charge around £15 for a colour match paint but it comes in one of the big 500ml cans.
Only the larger stores offer the service.
If you have a paint code, it's simple otherwise they have numerous swatch books with thousands of samples going back donkeys years - you'll be there ages...BigGrin
roymattblack
#19 Posted : 10 December 2021 12:29:11

A bit more on the '72.

The front section is almost sorted although there will be a good few wires and pipes still to add.

I'm building the engine a bit differently.
I'm not gluing the body end panel in place.
After building three of these kits already, I know that fixing the engine to the body later on is a real PITA.
This time, I'll fix the engine end plate to the body first, and then fix the engine to that afterwards.
Hopefully it will be a lot easier.
We shall see...
P1019950.JPG
P1019951.JPG
P1019958.JPG
P1019959.JPG
Markwarren
#20 Posted : 11 December 2021 10:21:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Roy, coming together very nicely.Love Love you must be able to assemble these in your sleep by now.

Mark