Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Revell 1/12 Ferrari 312T Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 26 October 2021 21:31:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all it's my birthday so I'm allowed to start this.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say by the way this builds the original had a crank shaft con rods and pistons (a bit like a Pocher kit)

I've ordered some replacement decals from Indycal for this so hopefully I won't have the problem I had with the JPS.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Kev the Modeller
#2 Posted : 27 October 2021 14:40:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A nice start Ken, should build into an excellent model of one of the most iconic F1 cars of all time?

Happy Birthday by the way! ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
kpnuts
#3 Posted : 31 October 2021 18:40:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

More work on the engine of this, it's supposed to have working steering but I think it is highly unlikely to work and even if it does I doubt it will work for long.

roymattblack
#4 Posted : 31 October 2021 19:04:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Even MORE great stuff Ken.

TBH - All of these kits that offer 'working steering' is rubbish. YES, in theory, and according to the instructions, it works.
ANY experienced modeller knows it's rubbish. A real car with the equivalent model steering, would crash at the first corner.

Keep it coming.BigGrin
Kev the Modeller
#5 Posted : 31 October 2021 22:55:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice start Ken, looking good. ThumpUp

I agree with Roy. 'Working steering' and other such things on a model are just gimmicks to entice prospective buyers. They never work properly and should just be glued in one position right from the start, especially as the parts are plastic and so have very little strength or toughness - they are always going to break no matter how carefully you handle them!

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
kpnuts
#6 Posted : 01 November 2021 21:34:11

Lots of pipework and HT leads added to the 312 T engine

bfam4t6
#7 Posted : 01 November 2021 22:08:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good so far Ken. Pretty good detail for a Revell kit
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

kpnuts
#8 Posted : 01 November 2021 23:04:27

Thats because its really a Protar kit.
roymattblack
#9 Posted : 02 November 2021 09:24:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Another great update Ken. Keep it coming. Some nice detail in there...
Kev the Modeller
#10 Posted : 03 November 2021 20:52:46

Looking good Ken and making good progress with the build. Cool ThumpUp

I'm a bit confused though, as you seem to have two build diaries for the 1:12 Ferrari 312T? Are they both of the same single Revell kit or two different kits? Confused

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
kpnuts
#11 Posted : 03 November 2021 21:40:41

Well a bit more done to the engine (I've noticed I have an ejector pin mark to remove)

Yes Kevin a bit of an oops moment.
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 03 November 2021 22:05:32

As always - looking really good Ken.
Watching for more updates...BigGrin
kpnuts
#13 Posted : 05 November 2021 21:43:51

Trial of the body on this, it's going to need a fair bit of fettling notice how the top cowling is badly twisted that must be an 8mm gap at the front, the side skirts are not a great fit either well one of them isn't anyway.

Kev the Modeller
#14 Posted : 06 November 2021 13:29:19

Starting to look like a 312T now Ken. A bit of glue and some clamps in the right place and I'm sure you'll be able to get over that warp in the body panels?

Just wondering why you've painted the mesh covers on the intake trumpets red? They are normally a silver or gold colour?

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
kpnuts
#15 Posted : 06 November 2021 16:14:02

Just my little bit of individuality, they won't be seen when it's all together anyway.
kpnuts
#16 Posted : 06 November 2021 18:28:39

Ok so after closer inspection of the body I've found loads of sink marks and some weird (I've not seen before) wavey marks in the top body panel (it almost looks like the plastic hadn't set when it was taken out of the mold and has run like wet paint) anyway after 3 hrs of sanding I have a reasonable paint job (needs a bit of flatting here and there but a good starting point)

Markwarren
#17 Posted : 07 November 2021 17:17:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice update Ken, the red paintwork tools great.Love

Mark
kpnuts
#18 Posted : 08 November 2021 21:46:17

So I spent ages working to keep the very fragile steering on this working only to find all that effort was a total waste of time, after adding the brake cooling ducts and passing the tie rod ends through them the movement in the steering is negligible (yes I could take them (the cooling ducts that is) and file the holes out bigger but the steering won't last long anyway) I've decided it's not worth the effort.

kpnuts
#19 Posted : 10 November 2021 21:32:48

Just a quick warning the indycal decals for this car don't fit this kit(tbf they are designed for the Tamiya kit) and look at the hideous tyres Revell supply got to be honest I've never seen worse they look more like plastic than plastic does.

roymattblack
#20 Posted : 11 November 2021 11:02:32

Crikey!!!

Those tyres look terrible.
Maybe some serious sanding with 300 grit and a spray of matt black?

I'm sure you'll sort something though Ken.BigGrin