Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Put it aside, came back to it and I'm in trouble- HELP please! Options
Jax_R.
#1 Posted : 29 October 2021 15:37:33

Groups: Registered

HI Guys,

I was enjoying this build but life got in the way and I had to put it aside for the time being. I got my stuff out today. I'm up to issue 22 but saw the air cleaner from issue 11 has broken off the plenum chamber. I tried Zap-A-Gap to reattach it since the pins are broken off the plenum chamber but that hasn't worked. The air cleaner keeps falling off.

Any ideas on how I can fix this or will I have to wait until DeAgostini get this kit back in stock and rebuild issues 10-15? I REALLY don't fancy the idea of having to redo all those plug leads again. Getting all those bits into the distributor was a complete nightmare for me.

Please tell me there's a way to fix this. I'd really like to get busy on this again.

Jax
File Attachment(s):
Jag Model.jpeg (3,904kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
Mustang
#2 Posted : 29 October 2021 17:21:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Do you have any photos to show us the damage.

If it’s the piece I’m thinking of I would possible look at drilling a hole in both piece and either adding a screw inside or glueing in a piece of rod to help give the two parts better strength in the join.
My Favourite Building:- 1919 https://forum.model-spac...=339517&#post339517 -
Current Build - Below Decks - https://forum.model-spac...sts&m=339187#339187 -

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
Dry dock no room to display:-. Bismarck, U96.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Jax_R.
#3 Posted : 29 October 2021 18:20:02

Mustang wrote:
Do you have any photos to show us the damage.

I think I attached it right, but it went to my original post. Let me try to insert it in here. The black is all mucked up from the cement that didn't hold it. Thank you for your help!
File Attachment(s):
Jag Model.jpeg (3,904kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
Mustang
#4 Posted : 29 October 2021 18:58:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sorry I can’t remember are the piece metal or plastic.

Coming Soon -

Built:-. HMS Bounty, RMS Titanic, MP4-23, Flying Scotsman, Aston Martin DB5, Honda CB750, Mustang, R2-D2, Jaguar, DeLorean, Testarossa, Stage Coach plus many plastic kits.
To build:-. HMS Hood. HMS Victory. Cutty Sark. SoS, Lancaster bomber. DR1 Triplane. JU-87. Plus many many plastic kits.
Jax_R.
#5 Posted : 29 October 2021 19:00:04

Plastic
Mustang
#6 Posted : 29 October 2021 19:03:27

If plastic can you unscrew the bottom of the manifold the two small screws, then drill a small hole then add a screw to secure the air unit from the inside and then just screw it back together.

Coming Soon -

Mustang
#7 Posted : 29 October 2021 19:04:57

Jax_R. wrote:
Plastic

Plastic have you tried normal plastic glue like Tamiya glue, you’ll have to clean all the parts up.

Coming Soon -

Jax_R.
#8 Posted : 29 October 2021 19:12:56

I have a few different Testors cements and a superglue of theirs. I'll look for the Tamiya.

I may be able to take the manifold apart to drill a tiny hole if I can locate the spare screws from prior issues. The thought of those plastic 'wires' coming out in the process makes my knees shake but would probably be the most secure remedy?

Do I *need* an air cleaner? Blink LOL
Mustang
#9 Posted : 29 October 2021 19:21:39

You can access the two small screws without taking it all apart.

The leads shouldn’t come out ?

Coming Soon -

Jax_R.
#10 Posted : 29 October 2021 19:42:05

Yes, I can. I just need to take it slow and have quiet round the house so I'm not distracted.
Kev the Modeller
#11 Posted : 29 October 2021 20:45:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I haven't built the DeAgostini Jaguar E-Type partwork, but I did build the DeAg McLaren MP4/23 F1 car and I suspect that the plastic parts for the Jaguar are made of the same type of plastic as the McLaren.

That being ABS plastic, which you won't be able to glue together successfully with any of the glues that you've mentioned? The best glue for ABS parts is the glue that plumbers, DIY fans and such like use for gluing their plastic pipes and joints together, which are also made of ABS? The glue I use for ABS is called 'PVC PIPE WELD' here in the UK and is made by a company called 'Evostik'. Not sure if you can get that in the States, but any glue used for bonding ABS/PVC will do the trick and it works by melting the two joining surfaces which then weld together and becomes as one when it dries. Be very careful with it though as it will quickly dissolve any plastic that it comes into contact with. It also stinks a lot, so don't breathe it in too much as it can be harmful! You should be able to buy it in a toothpaste sized squeezable tube, so it won't be very expensive and you won't need a lot of it anyway?

Having looked at the air cleaner parts in step 11 of the Official Build, it doesn't look like you need to apply a large amount of glue so use a wooden cocktail stick/toothpick or similar to apply it precisely where you want it and then work quickly, it doesn't take long to start drying after which you'll have to start over again. It would be wise to test it on bonding a couple of spare pieces of ABS plastic first if you have any, especially if you've not used it before just to see how it works and reacts? Once it is successfully bonded you will not be able to get it apart without a hammer or saw, or both, so be warned!?

Hope that helps? ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Jax_R.
#12 Posted : 29 October 2021 23:36:49

Thanks Kev. I will have a look for that. I'll use an exhaust fan if I can find it. I really hate the fumes from all these cements and glues. I can still smell that crap I used this morning, but it has to be mental because I'm upstairs now, and I did that in the kitchen.

I wish I had thought to put this in a box full of packing peanuts to protect it. Didn't thing I'd be away from it this long. I'm sure I can find the product or something similar to what you're talking about here.

Off-topic but how was the McLaren build? I'm going to get to race a Lamborghini next June and have been a Lambo fan for ages so would like to build a Huracan or Aventador once I get my Jag completed.
roymattblack
#13 Posted : 30 October 2021 09:25:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I've only just found this thread...

Yes, drill and pin and use an ABS glue, or even a small amount of moulding resin almost at the point of setting.
The large air filter unit is also screwed to the body panel beneath it. Has it broken away here also?
Jax_R.
#14 Posted : 30 October 2021 18:47:33

Thanks Roy...

I'll have a run out for some ABS glue. I need to get batteries anyway for the smoke detectors and a couple clocks, so this will be a good excuse to take my real Jag XJ out for a spin. I'll need a drill with a tiny bit or this. Should take a look on Amazon for Dremel drill bits.

I do have that large air filter that gets screwed in at some later point, probably after I lose it ROTFLOL, but it's in the proper issue bag in a box some of the kit came in. Along with the other parts that they sent early but probably don't get installed until close to the end