Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Kev's Tamiya 1:24 McLaren 'Senna' Supercar Build Options
Kev the Modeller
#1 Posted : 06 November 2021 14:38:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all,

It was my birthday last month, 17th September, which by the way is the same as Damon Hill and Sir Stirling Moss! Being a very big fan of both Ayrton Senna (my original username on this forum was 'SennaMentalMe'!) and McLaren, I let it be known amongst my family that I really wanted this kit? Being the great family that they are, this duly turned up on my birthday! Yay!! Drool ThumpUp

So .... this will be my next project:

Photos of 'what's in the box' will follow when I start the build.

I didn't want to paint this in either of the two schemes depicted in the kit instructions. I did toy with painting it in McLaren Orange, officially known as 'Papaya' for which I already have the 99.9% accurate 'Zero Paints' colour, which I bought for when I get round to building my 'Accurate Miniatures' 1:24 McLaren M8B Can-Am racer. What I really wanted was to do something as a tribute to the great man Ayrton Senna, since the car was designed by McLaren as a tribute to him and named after him, and thought about maybe doing something along the lines of that famous red and white 'Marlboro McLaren' scheme? Whilst working out how to go about it and perusing the internet for ideas and designs I came across this! You can translate it into English to get an insight into how the owner decided on the scheme and what he wanted to include. I like his thinking!:

https://cafef.vn/ro-tin-...t-20210520211249089.chn

Perfect!! All of the elements that I wanted are within that great design AND the car has body accents in the three colours of the Brazilian flag, namely green, yellow and blue. As an even better tribute the owner has added all of Ayrton's 41 wins to the red parts of the bodywork. Even better than I could have imagined! I like it very much!! Well imagine my surprise and delight when I then discovered that Hiroboy stocked a decal sheet for this very scheme, from SK Decals specifically designed for the Tamiya kit and at a very reasonable price?!

They are high quality decals and were promptly ordered and received the very next day!:

I like the extra decal with a quote from Ayrton that I will be using on a special plaque on the display base when this is finished.

I also have the full set of 'Studio 27 Carbon Decals for this ... and there are THREE sheets of them! That's a lot of individual parts in a 1:24 scale model!:

The last aftermarket parts for this build is a set of the MFH 6-point harnesses in black. The set has parts for two harnesses and includes some nice white metal centre buckles as opposed to the normal type which is usually made up by gluing together several layers of PE parts to create a 3D effect?! Much easier in just one casting and more realistic too!:

P.S. - For those who want to see more of this fabulous kit there is a very good build article in the August 2021 Issue #129 of 'Airfix Model World' magazine, done in a very alluring 'Ventura Orange' from Zero Paints. Simply stunning!!

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tigerace
#2 Posted : 07 November 2021 13:12:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one Kev BigGrin looks an awesome kitCool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#3 Posted : 07 November 2021 17:39:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to this build Kev, got my front seat booked.Cool

Mark
Gandale
#4 Posted : 07 November 2021 19:22:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is going to be special, I'll be glued to your build as usual....LOL LOL LOL ... Good luck with it, not that you need luck.....LOL LOL

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#5 Posted : 09 November 2021 20:30:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Liking that a lot.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Kev the Modeller
#6 Posted : 17 November 2021 22:19:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Many thanks for your comments Phil, Mark, Alan and Ken, very much appreciated as always! Cool ThumpUp

The aftermarket 'Studio 27' carbon decals and 'Model Factory Hiro' 6-point harness sets have now arrived (finally!!) and that means that I will be making a start on this build very soon!

Post #1 has now been updated with photos of the aftermarket sets that I was waiting for. Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#7 Posted : 23 November 2021 14:10:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's a great model to build Kev. Excellent choice of colour scheme.
It looks like just about every part will have a Carbon decal. BigGrin Can't wait to see how it progresses.
Malc.
roymattblack
#8 Posted : 24 November 2021 09:06:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Blimey - that's a serious amount of decals there.
Looking forward to seeing how it all goes.BigGrin
roymattblack
#9 Posted : 24 November 2021 09:07:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Blimey - that's a serious amount of decals there.
Looking forward to seeing how it all goes.BigGrin

Roy.
goddo
#10 Posted : 24 November 2021 14:05:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Really looking forward to this build Kev.
As everyone says, there are an awful lot of decals there for the scale of the model.
Keep the updates coming.
Chris
Kev the Modeller
#11 Posted : 25 November 2021 21:55:22

Many thanks for looking in and your kind comments Malc, Roy and Chris, always greatly appreciated! Cool ThumpUp

Apologies for the delayed start, just got very busy all of a sudden with my work life and that has to come first so modelling had to wait! However, I am going to set some time aside this coming weekend and get this build going!

Photos of the kit contents below:

Some of the more 'eagle-eyed' members may have noticed that there isn't a large single white body piece in the kit? That's because this model isn't built in the normal way where you have a large piece of bodywork that you lower over the chassis and interior when it's completed? With this beautifully engineered model Tamiya have taken a different approach and all of the body parts that will carry colour can be added separately around the main black body/chassis part that you can see in the third photo along with the glazing? It's very much the same as a real car would be built with individual body panels being fitted to an inner body framework? All will become clear as the build progresses, but this new approach from Tamiya will definitely make it a heck of a lot easier to apply all of those carbon decals in that very comprehensive 'Studio 27' set!

Really looking forward to this one, it would be nice if it was a bigger scale but I enjoy the challenge of working in smaller scales so it should be fun!

Thanks for looking, first build update coming very soon! ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
RM1
#12 Posted : 01 December 2021 12:23:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's a very neat way in which this kit has been designed with separate body panels. I'm also impressed with the look of the coloured documentation including reference photos. Tamiya improving on their already high standard.
Looking forward to seeing the progress. BigGrin
Malc.
Stupot
#13 Posted : 01 December 2021 20:03:25

Hi Kev, After seeing this model I've decided to get this one myself as a Christmas gift. Just wondering where did you get the extra decals? I've looked on ebay & they want £75 for these, which is alot more than the actual model. I'll be watching this build with great interest. Stu
Kev the Modeller
#14 Posted : 02 December 2021 22:22:02

Thanks for looking in and your kind comments Malc and Stu, very much appreciated as always. I have been working on this but my modelling time is limited at the moment and won't improve until I get about 12 days off over the Christmas period so I'm not making as quick a progress as I'd like, but I have done some of the basic prep and painting of the first parts and have also started to apply some of the aftermarket carbon decals. A lot done already but it's all time consuming stuff with not a lot to show for the effort and not a lot to look at for the moment, so will show what I've done when I have a worthwhile amount to post up, which will hopefully be very soon!

@ Stu - I got the aftermarket 'Senna Tribute' decals from Hiroboy in the UK, though I know they have now sold out? I had to import the 'Studio 27' carbon decals set from 'Spot Models' in Spain, though they too are now out of stock and they're not showing when they might be restocked? Coincidentally, 'Spot Models' in Spain are still showing as having those bodywork tribute sets in stock, but they only have three left and once gone they will be very hard to get hold of again as the original production number has now been virtually sold out everywhere?

It would be great to see your build on the forum when you get the kit, even if it's just an out of the box build? Have fun! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#15 Posted : 22 December 2021 19:51:13

Hello all,

I don't have a lot of time this evening to write a lengthy post explaining what I've done so far, so I'll just show my progress so far on this build. All carbon decals have had a coat of satin varnish to replicate the finish of those parts as per the full sized vehicle. It doesn't look a lot but it was in fact quite a lot of work, especially getting those carbon decals to conform to the many compound curves!:

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed. ThumpUp

Kev
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Stupot
#16 Posted : 22 December 2021 20:20:10

Hi Kev, thank you for putting me on to this model. I'm pretty sure I've got this as a Christmas gift. Very interested in your build as I will be doing the same in the new year. Cheers Kev. Stu.
tigerace
#17 Posted : 23 December 2021 12:02:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start KevBigGrin what i am sure is going to be a epic buildDrool Drool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#18 Posted : 23 December 2021 14:48:49

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Kev, that is looking very nice.Love Love Drool

Mark
roymattblack
#19 Posted : 27 December 2021 17:00:22

Amazing work there Kev.
I have to admit all those CF decals would drive me potty...LOL LOL LOL
tf64
#20 Posted : 27 December 2021 17:50:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev,

Happy new year to you and your family, I can see this will be another great car build, and with your expertise one to follow.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).